Medical bill - Page 2

Medical bill

This is a discussion on Medical bill within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Doubledown So you mean the rectal exam was not really part of the training class??? Just for you, because WIS loves it ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Medical bill

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledown View Post
    So you mean the rectal exam was not really part of the training class???
    Just for you, because WIS loves it citizens....LMAO...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by NCMedic8617 View Post
    There are some counties in North Carolina that the CLEO requires a mental health check, perhaps it is in reference to that, the county to county requirements can vary slightly.

Sent from this... Using that...
    Yes. When I applied my sheriff office (Buncombe County, NC) printed out 3 letters to local health providers that I had to mail to them requesting any mental health records they might have on me. One of them required me to pay them $15 for this information. Of the 3 months it took me to get my permit, 2 of them were waiting form these letters to get to them, across their desks and back to the sheriff office formpeocessingn

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    It is pretty routine in NC for the Sheriff to do a mental-health check with the hospitals in your region (your county plus the neighboring ones). This amounts to verifying whether or not you have ever been checked in to the psych ward, no medical evaluation is required of you. On the application there is also a line asking for your family physician, if you have one. I have heard about people getting billed by the medical institutions after submitting for their CCW, typically if the person is already on file for said institution as a patient. The thing is, I am 99.99% sure that part of the fee that you pay to the sheriff is designated specifically to cover these costs, which makes me think the medical facilities may be double dipping.
    Hopyard likes this.

VIP Member
    Just me, but if I didn't request the information from them, I wouldn't pay the bill.
    LenS likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member

Thumbs down Bummer

You guys in NC really need to build a strong grassroots RKBA organization.

I though we had some counties pulling nonsense. Hence why we worked so hard to get SB563 and HB754 this year.
    passed.

This every locality doing something different is a major game of the antis. Ya'l need to work on a strong State preemption law and plug the gaps as they come up.

BkCo1 and oneshot like this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

All counties do a mental health background check in NC some hospitals have started charging for those. The fee you pay the sheriff does NOT include those charges and are to be paid by the applicant. This is normal and most likely going to be more common in NC when the numbers of people requesting CHPs rise. The hospitals are not going to give the reports for free if they can make some money on them.

Don't forget to pay those bills too even if you get your CHP you can find a very nasty situation in the future if the hospital turns you over to collections. You may remember that you signed a form allowing for mental health background checks and that same form states you are liable for any additional fees incurred.

I've had this happen to some students from different counties and the charges are usually around $10 to $25 unless there are some additional checks needed.

VIP Member
    I live in Wayne county NC, the only med check required is if are you breathing or not, lack of breathing is a disqualification. And there is no charge.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnyb View Post
    Yes. When I applied my sheriff office (Buncombe County, NC) printed out 3 letters to local health providers that I had to mail to them requesting any mental health records they might have on me. One of them required me to pay them $15 for this information. Of the 3 months it took me to get my permit, 2 of them were waiting form these letters to get to them, across their desks and back to the sheriff office formpeocessingn
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    It is pretty routine in NC for the Sheriff to do a mental-health check with the hospitals in your region (your county plus the neighboring ones). This amounts to verifying whether or not you have ever been checked in to the psych ward, no medical evaluation is required of you. On the application there is also a line asking for your family physician, if you have one. I have heard about people getting billed by the medical institutions after submitting for their CCW, typically if the person is already on file for said institution as a patient. The thing is, I am 99.99% sure that part of the fee that you pay to the sheriff is designated specifically to cover these costs, which makes me think the medical facilities may be double dipping.

^^^^NC sounds like it sucks.^^^^^^

Why no uniformity in permitting for carry is an outrage.
    Your politicians blew it on this.

I believe the OP is from NC, as his user name is bravonc.......as in bravo-north carolina

To the OP, hope you figure out what is going on.
    I'd contact the people you asked for the reports from, to find out why they are dragging their heels.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^NC sounds like it sucks.^^^^^^

Why no uniformity in permitting for carry is an outrage.
    Your politicians blew it on this.

I believe the OP is from NC, as his user name is bravonc.......as in bravo-north carolina

To the OP, hope you figure out what is going on.
    I'd contact the people you asked for the reports from, to find out why they are dragging their heels.
    Actually the permitting process is spelled out pretty much to the letter and there isn't much wiggle room for the sheriffs office. Each county submits the mental health info requests to the local hospitals and facilities and if one or more of them happen to charge a fee for the response then that's the way it goes. With 100 counties you would be hard pressed to standardize any more with the vast difference in population and number of medical facilities that have to be queried.

No outrage here.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Back a million or so years ago (in legal reform years), maybe more like 20 actually, at least one County in VA and probably most of them, required a letter from your Doctor that you were mentally and physically capable of carrying a concealed weapon. This of course required you to incur a fee for the office visit. Along with the three letters of reference from established members of the community. In reality, the Sheriff approved few permit requests, but freely handed out Deputy badges to those he chose to be worthy. Boy how times change.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I grew up in Mecklenburg County (Charlotte), and believe me, if it can squeeze a penny out of you in some form of fee, it will! That's one reason I've never considered moving back to NC.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    So you mean the rectal exam was not really part of the training class???

Neither was the two hour lecture on color matching of holsters to your shirt or the topic of picking the right lube. Guess it goes from instructor to instructor.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Geeeeeeee, I thought the rectal exam was mandated by the feds!!!! I think someone pulled one over on me...
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Hmm, I had to check a few boxes saying I was not nuts or chronically drunk, but never heard of a medical records check. Don't give em any ideas.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Without a central, comprehensive database, the check is pretty much worthless. I think it is more of a CYA on the part of the sheriff to show "due dilligence" than anything else.
    MadMac and WHEC724 like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links