NC Gun Buster signs.

This is a discussion on NC Gun Buster signs. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a question regarding NC gun buster signs. Is there a legal definition as to the size and verbiage of these signs? My wife ...

Thread: NC Gun Buster signs.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

NC Gun Buster signs.

I have a question regarding NC gun buster signs. Is there a legal definition as to the size and verbiage of these signs? My wife and I went to the Crabtree Valley Mall today in Raleigh NC today and I saw their sign. It was a 8 1/2 by 11 in sticker that listed their rules and regulations and in the lower right corner it had a no gun sign about the size of a half dollar. I was purposely looking for it since I did the research on their website saying no guns where allowed. I was wondering if there is a minimum size requirement in NC for these signs to be legal as in some other states from what I read?

2. Remove Ads

More than likely your state has specific criteria for the no-firearms postings. Mine does,and most of them I see do not meet the criteria of the law for postings. Therefore I consider them illegal but I choose not to press formal charges.

does your state actually make it illegal to put up the sign if it doesn't meet certain criteria? I've seen a number of states where signage that doesn't meet the legal requirements wouldn't carry the weight of law (IE: you can't be found guilty for violating it), but have yet to hear of one where the sign itself would be illegal, for a business at least.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I can't find anywhere as to what the sign must consist of or how big etc. I would think if they wanted to keep guns out of their mall they would post a bigger sign. The mall cops look good however. From a distance or at the wrong angle you can not tell that they are not sworn LEOs. Their uniforms are pretty tight and there equipment is top notch. There vehicles even look like a top notch patrol vehicle with a push bumper an LED green light bar. Their vehicles are even marked Special Police. The mall spent a pretty penny on their security. Still glad they were not carrying weapons.

VIP Member
    Under North Carolina law a crayon drawing on a piece of paper carries the full weight of law since there is no specific signage requirement.

14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer. In addition to these requirements, a military permittee whose permit has expired during deployment may carry a concealed handgun during the 90 days following the end of deployment and before the permit is renewed provided the permittee also displays proof of deployment to any law enforcement officer.

(b) The sheriff shall issue a permit to carry a concealed handgun to a person who qualifies for a permit under G.S. 14‑415.12. The permit shall be valid throughout the State for a period of five years from the date of issuance.

(c) Except as provided in G.S. 14‑415.27, a permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:

(1) Areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, and 14‑277.2.

(2) Areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.4, except as allowed under G.S. 14‑269.4(6).

(3) In an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120‑32.1.

(4) In any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. 922 or any other federal law.

(5) In a law enforcement or correctional facility.

(6) In a building housing only State or federal offices.

(7) In an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government.

(8) On any private premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.

(c1) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun on the grounds or waters of a park within the State Parks System as defined in G.S. 113‑44.9.

(c2) It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in the person's body any alcohol or in the person's blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in the person's blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts or if the person is on the person's own property.

(c3) As provided in G.S. 14‑269.4(5), it shall be lawful for a person to carry any firearm openly, or to carry a concealed handgun with a concealed carry permit, at any State‑owned rest area, at any State‑owned rest stop along the highways, and at any State‑owned hunting and fishing reservation.

(d) A person who is issued a permit shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of any change in the person's permanent address within 30 days after the change of address. If a permit is lost or destroyed, the person to whom the permit was issued shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of the loss or destruction of the permit. A person may obtain a duplicate permit by submitting to the sheriff a notarized statement that the permit was lost or destroyed and paying the required duplicate permit fee. (1995, c. 398, s. 1; c. 507, s. 22.1(c); c. 509, s. 135.3(e); 1997, c. 238, s. 6; 2000‑140, s. 103; 2000‑191, s. 5; 2005‑232, s. 3; 2011‑268, s. 14.)
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Under North Carolina law a crayon drawing on a piece of paper carries the full weight of law since there is no specific signage requirement.
    That's sad.

msgt/ret gave ya the straight skinny. in NC the only requirement is that it be conspicuous. If you see it then you have been notified.

Don't try and play games like saying you didn't see it if you truly did see the sign.

Let your wallet do the talking if posted. Don't try and argue with a manager since most have no input on overall store policy and you only tend to inflame the situation.

It does carry the weight of law as mentioned above. You do not have to be asked to leave and refuse to in order to be charged with trespass, the sign is considered the request to not be there armed.

Links