Shot my very first IDPA match and did it with my LCR .38

This is a discussion on Shot my very first IDPA match and did it with my LCR .38 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey All, Today, Sunday, I shot my very first IDPA match at Cherokee Gun Club in Gainesville, GA. AND...I did it with my LCR .38 ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By hogdoc357
  • 1 Post By gigamortis
  • 1 Post By Ram Rod
  • 2 Post By BroBud
  • 1 Post By claude clay
  • 1 Post By BenGoodLuck
  • 1 Post By BamaT

Thread: Shot my very first IDPA match and did it with my LCR .38

Hey All,

Today, Sunday, I shot my very first IDPA match at Cherokee Gun Club in Gainesville, GA. AND...I did it with my LCR .38 Special, 5-shot snubbie!
    I had a blast! What a great group of shooters and what wonderful practice I experienced. This is nothing like standing in an indoor range, in a cubical and not being able to move. I shot behind barriers; I shot under a table; I shot on the move; I shot at moving targets; I shot rapid shots; I performed multiple reloads with speedloaders under pressure, etc. If you haven't tried it, then give it a go. You will be hooked. I even had a member shooting in my group who is a world class shooter and instructor, Claude Werner, from the Atlanta area. His web site is: Firearms Safety Training LLC - Home

Most revolver shooters use a 6-shot. To my knowledge, I was the only shooter using a 5-shot. But, I held my own and did alright. But most importantly, I had loads of fun! Oh, and the LCR did superb! I even had one shooter say to me that he admired me for using a 5-shot.
    Stubborn likes this.

Participating in an IDPA match with your EDC gun gives you far more experience than you would ever get from just shooting from a booth at your local indoor range. I've seen folks with guns that run 100% from an indoor range booth, but once out running and gunning in IDPA or USPSA, the inevitable stoppage seems to find it's way into the mix. Revolver shooters sometimes find themselves short stroking the trigger, semi-autos sometimes don't seat a magazine all the way, etc.
    hogdoc357 likes this.

Good for you! The revolver guys will soon drag you into their ordeal. First timer is something not seen often. Not saying your debut was luck, but once the word gets out about your scores...that will bring out the vultures. I'm not saying you should.n't be proud...but that sort of thing is going to start a whole new ordeal next time you go to shoot. The first win is a confidence booster...that gets you hooked on the game. Just like a big bass tournament. I'm saying just beware of the sleepers who would like nothing better than to put you down and out. Many times the sport will put down the player. Never be disappointed.......always be ready.
    shooterX likes this.

Congrats on the experience.
    hogdoc357 and RichB70 like this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    seems we both participated today.
    onre of the area clubs by me does an annual BUG shot.
    its designed for the limited capacity guns and is always a full house.

one stage will be a night shoot and require a torch.
    1st thing you learn is --no smoky ammo--
    another stage will be weak hand only.
    hogdoc357 likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Congrats! About the most fun you can have with your clothes on, LOL! It is addicting. Try USPSA shooting and you'll be doubly hooked!
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

VIP Member
    Congratulations on your first match. I'm itching to participate in a local match and will be trying one in the next few weeks.
    hogdoc357 likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Congratulations! IDPA is a lot of fun! I haven't shot a qualifying match yet, just club matches, but they area a blast, no pun intended. Concentrate first on safety, then fun, and the scores will begin to climb. I remember rushing a bit through one of my first stages, and a long time shooter told me "you can't miss fast enough to win."
    hogdoc357 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gigamortis View Post
    Participating in an IDPA match with your EDC gun gives you far more experience than you would ever get from just shooting from a booth at your local indoor range. I've seen folks with guns that run 100% from an indoor range booth, but once out running and gunning in IDPA or USPSA, the inevitable stoppage seems to find it's way into the mix. Revolver shooters sometimes find themselves short stroking the trigger, semi-autos sometimes don't seat a magazine all the way, etc.
    All that you stated is so true and I witnessed some of those things myself. It was great fun and training for $15. I'm hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Good for you! The revolver guys will soon drag you into their ordeal. First timer is something not seen often. Not saying your debut was luck, but once the word gets out about your scores...that will bring out the vultures. I'm not saying you should.n't be proud...but that sort of thing is going to start a whole new ordeal next time you go to shoot. The first win is a confidence booster...that gets you hooked on the game. Just like a big bass tournament. I'm saying just beware of the sleepers who would like nothing better than to put you down and out. Many times the sport will put down the player. Never be disappointed.......always be ready.
    Thanks for the advice. I hope I did not mislead anyone...my scores were not great, but they were respectable for me shooting a 5 shot. Some stages I did much better than others. Then there were those that I really messed up on. But the entire day was an important learning experience and process.

Quote Originally Posted by Honk View Post
    Congrats! About the most fun you can have with your clothes on, LOL! It is addicting. Try USPSA shooting and you'll be doubly hooked!
    DITTO!

Congratulations on your first IDPA match! You are hooked now! I shot my first IDPA last October and now shoot that once per month and USPSA each month also. They, IDPA and USPSA, are very different "games" but I like both for their differences. Be safe and havfe fun.

Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    Congratulations on your first IDPA match! You are hooked now! I shot my first IDPA last October and now shoot that once per month and USPSA each month also. They, IDPA and USPSA, are very different "games" but I like both for their differences. Be safe and havfe fun.
    Thanks. My wife and I shoot Cowboy Action and we love that too. This was fun because I got to use what I carry.

Links