Federal reciprocity from a "May issue" states.

This is a discussion on Federal reciprocity from a "May issue" states. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; point of view. I was reading in another thread about an act in congress that would force a state to recognize another states CCW permit. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

point of view.

I was reading in another thread about an act in congress that would force a state to recognize another states CCW permit. I didn't want to hijack the thread so I fugured I would ask it here.

How do you think the "may issue" states would handle that.

Would they then have to go shall issue?

Would they "grandfather" the present permit holder until expiration and then just not renew their permits?

Would they just revoke all permits and make it Illegal under any circumstances to CCW?

I like the idea of 100% reciprocity but I wonder if it would just force Annapolis's hand?

MikeV

Assistant Administrator
    [cynic mode] I would fully expect Mike that ''may issues'' would find a way to wriggle out of any compliance [/cynic mode].

100% reciprocity is I fear a pipe dream, plus probably actually in the end broadly loosing us liberties rather than gaining more.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

yeah, your probably right. I just can't stop hoping though

Mike

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I'm not even sure that it is a completely good idea. Before reciprocity would be a good idea, IMO, all the states that "shall issue" would need to agree upon a unifying set of carry-able places. If that does't happen you may accidentally wander into a township that has an odd law you didn't know about and be jailed on felony posession charges.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Lead Moderator
    I think that because of the may-issue and no-issue states we will not realistically see a federal law. It would be immediately challenged in the courts under states rights, and probably tossed out.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Question Do We

Concerning this issue, my question has always been 'do we really want more federal government in our lives'?

More and more states are coming around. I can live with things the way they are, and---consider 218. Some major cities have refused to honor this federal law concerning LEOs.

Do you really think the fiefdoms of Chicago, NY, etc really care what the federal law says????
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

No need to guess. Here are links that define the pending legislation.

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactShe...ad.aspx?ID=189

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:h.r.04547:

I wondered if it would remove more liberties. I was thinking of marriage licenses and drivers licenses and how they have to be recognized in all 51 states (talking marriages between a man and a women, I don't want someone to point out about the other issue).

About the only difference between a CCW and DL is a DL is not a right. But, since the 2nd is a Right, then it should be recognized anyway in all 51 states.

So, I was thinking that a federal law would be needed because it would just reinforce the 2nd and make it the law of the land again.

Or I could be way off base. I'm at work, tired, and haven't slept in days lol.

Wayne

Question 51 states

Wayne, somehow you have added a state to the list.

From what I am hearing, the bill has become so cruded up with ammendments, and other junk, that it will never pass.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

I Understand That CCW...

is allowed in the '51st' state.
    I really believe that someday soon we will be allowed to have a CCW permit that is honored everywhere...
    I also think that the Tooth Fairy will leave money under my pillow...
    I believe that my wife will buy me a new gun this weekend, an expensive one...
    I also think that...wait...The Voices are telling me something... what? ...OK...I've been asked to 'cool it!'

Ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wow, I came in late on this thread...is the 51st state NYC? Oh please....say it is so!!!

(from an upstate NYer)

I must apologize. The 51st state is an inside joke with me and a co-worker. When typing the post, my mind (I said I was tired, haven't slept in over 2 days) automatically added the "51st state".

The joke is about illegal immigration, Mexico, and open borders. He is saying that borders should be open on the Mexican side, for everyone to come and go as they please. We have made a few people uncomfortable (those that don't like my stating that we need to close the borders, his on making them basically a part of the US) so we call Mexico the 51st state.

Again, my apologies, a sleep deprived mind wonders around quite a bit.

Wayne

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    We do not need a law all we need it the US Supreme Court to rule that the 2nd amendment means exactly what it says, and that "the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed" includes me bearing my Kimber in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    51st state: The District of Columbia
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

pax
    I don't see that there's really much problem with states having differing laws about where you may or may not carry. After all, your driver's license is good in all 50 states, yet traffic laws do vary significantly from state to state (Is a right turn allowed on a red light? What's the allowable BAC? Getting onto a freeway, which car has right of way?) When you're in a state not your own, you obey that state's traffic laws; ignorance of these laws is no excuse. You could do the same with concealed carry.

The bigger problem is the very different rules about obtaining the permit in the first place. Washington, for instance, requires fingerprints/background check, but does not require a training class. New Hampshire requires neither. Colorado requires both. Even among states which require training classes, content and length and the amount of state control over individual classes vary remarkably.

My suspicion is that any national carry permit would, on average, cost us more freedom than it would gain us. But I say this as a resident of a fairly permissive state -- I'm pretty sure a MA resident would have a different take on it. Any change in MA rules would have to be an improvement!

If nationwide carry passes, but the nationally-requires rules become too onerous, it would be a net loss. Vermont & Alaska have the right idea, after all. That is the goal to work for ...

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links