Dont forget to tell...

Dont forget to tell...

This is a discussion on Dont forget to tell... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; the officer who pulls you over that you have a concealed handgun in the car. The first thing when the officer approaches the car and ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Dont forget to tell...

Dont forget to tell...

the officer who pulls you over that you have a concealed handgun in the car. The first thing when the officer approaches the car and give him your ccw license. I was watching a episode of Alaska state troopers today and the cop pulled over a car for not having the head lights on. After several minutes of explanation the cop asked if the occupants had any thing in the car he should know about. The passenger informed the cop that he had a legal 40 cal handgun. The cop went ballistic, took the passenger from the car and cuffed him. Turns out the gun was legal but the occupant was still charged with firearm misconduct and failure to notify. A reminder to me to always remember to notify cops first thing.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    the officer who pulls you over that you have a concealed handgun in the car. The first thing when the officer approaches the car and give him your ccw license. I was watching a episode of Alaska state troopers today and the cop pulled over a car for not having the head lights on. After several minutes of explanation the cop asked if the occupants had any thing in the car he should know about. The passenger informed the cop that he had a legal 40 cal handgun. The cop went ballistic, took the passenger from the car and cuffed him. Turns out the gun was legal but the occupant was still charged with firearm misconduct and failure to notify. A reminder to me to always remember to notify cops first thing.
    Not if you are not legally required to do so. That is up to you. I will not tell a LEO unless I have to.
    Dadsnugun, Badey, NMB and 11 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Not if you are not legally required to do so. That is up to you. I will not tell a LEO unless I have to.
    You are correct...but it is required in my state. I have had a LEO ask me if I was carrying before at the end of a traffic stop. Turns out I was not. But if you remember to inform after the LEO has been at your car for some time you will most likely be charged.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

VIP Member
    I agree with suntzu as for knowing the requirement of the state your in as to notification. I personally will notify if stopped, even if not required, but here in VA it is my option if I want to.
    ericb327 and JDE101 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

don't need to in KY either. and I don't think I will.
    Poseidon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    You are correct...but it is required in my state. I have had a LEO ask me if I was carrying before at the end of a traffic stop. Turns out I was not. But if you remember to inform after the LEO has been at your car for some time you will most likely be charged.
    You indicated in an earlier post that informing is required in your state. And, for you, the above statement is correct. However, many folks on this board believe that not-informing is the correct way to handle it, and they won't. You won't get an argument, from most of them, about informing where required. It is a good reminder, however, for folks to know what the state they are in requires, and act accordingly, and not forget to inform if required!!

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Got to be carfull with this . In my old county in florida when your licence number is run looking for any problems it will or can tell the officer that i carry. May not happen in all of FL. Maybe it depends on the level of equipment they and the department has . But you might find your self looking at an officers pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Got to be carfull with this . In my old county in florida when your licence number is run looking for any problems it will or can tell the officer that i carry. May not happen in all of FL. Maybe it depends on the level of equipment they and the department has . But you might find your self looking at an officers pistol.
    Are you legally required to notify a LEO on a traffic stop in FL? If yes, then of course you will be in trouble for not notifying. If you have no legal requirement to notify why would you have a pistol in your face by a LEO?

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    I have no legal requirement to inform in GA. I haven't yet informed in the limited traffic stops/interactions that I have had. If I have to reach for my wallet which is right next to my gun, I would inform ahead of time for my safety and to not freak out the officer so he wouldn't think I was reaching for the gun.

I'm curious about the states that do require informing though... Hypothetical: If I was to walk into a Quicktrip and there is a cop at the counter. He says "hello" as a friendly acknowledgement. Would I be required to immediately inform?

Officer: "Hi", and nods.
    Me: "I've got a gun and it's legal!", holding arms outstretched ready to be cuffed and patted down.

Just curious as to what circumstances require someone to inform.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    State laws are not all the same. What may apply in Alaska may, or may not, apply here or there. If you're up to speed on the laws of the state you are in you should never be looking at a LEO's pistol. Saying hello to a LEO in a donut shop does not require you to inform him you are carrying here but don't let that confuse you if you're not here
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Some states have language that's say upon official interaction. Depends on the state I guess.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Here in AZ I think most LEOs work under the assumption that there are weapons in every car that's stopped, and act accordingly. We don't have to volunteer that we are armed, but are required to answer truthfully if asked.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I live on the Kentucky side of the Ohio river across from Cincinnati. Kentucky has no duty to inform unless asked by LEO; Ohio does. I have to remember which side of the river I'm on.

If people are wearing shoes Ohio, no shoes, Kentucky!
    MleeC, JoeK, sdprof and 2 others like this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

NMB
    Not a requirement in NM. If they dont ask, I dont tell :)
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    It's not required to notify an officer here in CO, but I don't mind handing over my CCL with my DL if I get pulled over. Only been pulled over a couple of times in the past several years so it's not something I usually have to worry about, but I don't mind if a LEO knows I'm carrying legally.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links