20 year veteran instructor shoots self

This is a discussion on 20 year veteran instructor shoots self within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Even the most seasoned folks have negligent discharges... Don't let it happen to you... practice most of the time with an unloaded weapon... not always, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: 20 year veteran instructor shoots self

Even the most seasoned folks have negligent discharges... Don't let it happen to you... practice most of the time with an unloaded weapon... not always, but most of the time.... And if you ever find your finger on the trigger when it shouldn't be... stop, review... and put the training aside for a day...

Story here
    RayBar likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member
    This is only speculation but I think some of the accidents (maybe not all), when reholstering is due to feeling like you have to put it back quickly. Maybe there are some legitimate times you need to quickly reholster but it really does put you at risk of some bad things happening. I think I'm a bit paranoid about that part so I always reholster slow and with full attention. That may not be good practice as maybe there are times where I would need to reholster quickly and move or something. I just, at this time, can't even begin to think about doing it that way.
    WHEC724, ep1953, dev_null and 2 others like this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Somebody needs to tell that instructor of 20 years not to holster a gun with his finger on the trigger.
    RayBar likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrwizr View Post
    Somebody needs to tell that instructor of 20 years not to holster a gun with his finger on the trigger.
    If not careful, catching on a shirt, or something else could pull the trigger as it is going in. It isn't necessarily the finger.
    stancehold likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

It would seem that our firearms instructor should have looked the weapon into the holster. Everyone is so quick to get it back in. Seasoned or not, its a mistake that should not of happened.
    RayBar, JoeK and Crashbox like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    How many times when drawing from concealment, have I found my shirt tail inside the holster when re-holstering?

"Look" that sucker in there.
    hienykins, NH_Esau and JoeK like this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    If not careful, catching on a shirt, or something else could pull the trigger as it is going in. It isn't necessarily the finger.
    and (H&K P7 aside) thats just another reason why i will not buy a glock(like) gun that does not have a palm safety. springfield manages nicely.
    some guns are more forgiving to 'that careless' moment than others.
    a large percentage of the glock(leg) ND's would not have happened had there been a palm safety.
    free country, your choice, just saying...
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

One reason I like the grip safety on my xd40sc. I can re-holster without depressing it negating the trigger catch firing.
    sid1, Lotus222 and stancehold like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    and (H&K P7 aside) thats just another reason why i will not buy a glock(like) gun that does not have a palm safety. springfield manages nicely.
    some guns are more forgiving to 'that careless' moment than others.
    a large percentage of the glock(leg) ND's would not have happened had there been a palm safety.
    free country, your choice, just saying...
    I have to disagree with that. When I re holster the web of my hand depresses a grip safety on a 1911 or XD when I am pushing it down into the holster. I think it probably does for most people. Unless you conscientiously change your grip while re holster I don't think that grip safety will do any good.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Familiarity breeds contempt. Some folks think they are better than they really are. I see instructors do this maneuver frequently. It looks cool and impresses the first-timers, fast draw, fast shots then a fast re-holster.

I KNOW I'm not that good. I re-holster slowly, "looking" the gun back in.

As for a necessity to re-holster quickly, I'm sure if I had to I could come up with a reason, just not a very good one.
    accessbob, RichB70 and shockwave like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    Which is why I have trained myself to put my thumb over the back of my Walther PPS when holstering it. The sriker will pop up if the weapon is about to discharge and give me a clue somethings not right. I'm never in too much of hurry so it works for me.
    walther_pps_striker.jpg

I consciously position my grip so that the safety isn't depressed when I am re-holstering or putting the gun in the safe. You're probably right, though. I doubt most people do this.

I ran a call where a gun smith with years of experience had a accidental discharge and shot his adult daughter...killing her.

He was in pieces. I felt so sorry for him and his family. I don't think it matters how much experience one has...it only takes one mistake for tragedy.
    Crashbox, ep1953 and RayBar like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

he need to have his trigger finger amputated so this will not happen again

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I have to disagree with that. When I re holster the web of my hand depresses a grip safety on a 1911 or XD when I am pushing it down into the holster. I think it probably does for most people. Unless you conscientiously change your grip while re holster I don't think that grip safety will do any good.
    With my 1911 and my XD I let the weapon go into the holster as far as gravity will take it ( just enough to get it aligned ) then I transfer my grip to just using the my thumb to push on the back of the slide leaving the grip safety untouched.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links