Concealed carry life: Open carry vs. Concealed carry

This is a discussion on Concealed carry life: Open carry vs. Concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by oldrwizr Sure there is. There's data that says nobody carrying a concealed -- CONCEALED! -- weapon was ever gunned down by a ...

View Poll Results: If You had your choice of open vs concealed which would you choose?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Open Carry

24 15.09%
  • Concealed Carry

135 84.91%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Concealed carry life: Open carry vs. Concealed carry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrwizr View Post
    Sure there is. There's data that says nobody carrying a concealed -- CONCEALED! -- weapon was ever gunned down by a brain-dead cop in a Costco. If somebody knows you have it, that's a different story. And history supports this.
    You might want to get your facts straight first. From the story of the Costco shooting:

Scott and his girlfriend had been shopping in the Costco, but had been asked to leave when an employee spotted Scott’s lawfully carried handgun. Scott had inadvertently exposed the gun when he squatted down to inspect some merchandise. He informed the employee that he was legally carrying the gun and was in possession of a valid Nevada concealed weapons permit, but was informed that Costco has a policy against carrying firearms in their stores.
    So it seems he was concealed carrying, not open carrying.
    ericb327 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Nice find archer51, nice find.

VIP Member
    I OC probably 95% of the time, including at work. My employer has no problem with it, 3 of the 4 owners of the company have their permits and 2 of them OC on occasion. I Also live in a gun friendly as well as OC friendly area. I rub shoulders with LEO almost every morning, have never had a problem with them. They get their coffee and go about their business, I get mine and go my way. We exchange greetings, but that's about all there ever is to it. Granted they might have a slightly different perspective if I was in my 20's instead of my 60's.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I'm not voting because the poll is too vague. There are times when OC is appropriate and times it isn't. I can't OC in Florida but I always OC while hiking back home in TN.
    TN_Mike likes this.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrwizr View Post
    Sure there is. There's data that says nobody carrying a concealed -- CONCEALED! -- weapon was ever gunned down by a brain-dead cop in a Costco. If somebody knows you have it, that's a different story. And history supports this.
    lyz_grace likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    I think what he's trying to imply is that had the gun been properly concealed, the event would not have occurred and that the same could not be said if he were intentionally carrying open.

Either way it's a stretch.

A_D
    Here in Connecticut, there is no law against open carry. I still prefer concealed. I don't want to frighten people that don't know the law or offend people that are anti gun. Also, the fear of someone trying to acquire my hard earned firearm is a real concern. I don't want to unknowingly ask for trouble. The decision to carry is a personal choice- I like to keep it that way. Although the comfort of OC looks appealing, I opt for concealed. My favorite carry mode though, is in an owb pancake lightly concealed by an open jacket. IWB is only comfortable for me with subcompacts an inch thick or so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."

-Mark Twain

I did not vote I do both and thank the Lord here it is legal with a permit, Just the other day I had to educate a local LEO on the AG opinion that we did nod have to conceal, so yes an extra burden can come with OC, but at this point I can choose to tackle it. I still believe that this should not be an issue period.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

VIP Member
    I live in OH and can do either. I CC pretty much exclusively. If OC were more normal or generally accepted I would do it, but I don't have the time or patience to educate the OH LEOs about the law.

Plus in my jurisdiction, the police chief is on record stating that he does not care if OC is legal, he and his officers will stop 99.9% of all OCers they see. They even had the audacity to state on the record that they stopped and questioned a guy because he was OCing by a park - which in OH is not illegal. When I retire and have the time, I might OC.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Lets see, I used to carry about 50/50 OC or CC. Now it's probably about 70/30. Mostly CC. I OC at home or when I'm out by myself. My wife just prefers I CC. Personally, I like having both options available. I've had some recent health issues that have pushed me more towards CC too. Not that I care what anyone thinks really, I'm just not able deal with anyone acting stupid these days. And sometimes I just don't feel like paying as much attention as I want to if I OC.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    I voted for concealed. I like being underestimated.
    Part of our defense is surprising the attacker or having greater firepower. If the attacker always knew you were carrying he would make sure to ambush you or surprise you rendering your weapon useless.

I voted. I CC the majority of the time (65% to 75%) but I OC at least 25% of the time back hime in West TN. And I'm not alone at all. It's fairly common there. So common in fact that I have never heard of a single instance of someone who is OC having the police called because they saw a man with a gun. It is more accepted in West TN than anywhere I have ever visited. One of the many reasons I love living there. I have had many interactions with the local police and state police while OC. These interactions range from a smile and wave to in depth conversations on the model of gun or the holster or the merits of a particular caliber over another.

I actually prefer OC. At least in the Summer. When it is 105 out with 85% humidity, to not have to wear a cover garment, even it it is a T-shirt, it is a blessing. Now, you must have good SA when OC and I accept that.

As I said, I do CC more often (over the course of a year) than OC. Part of this is because of winter and part of it is because, when I go to Memphis (as infrequently as possible) I feel a little more comfortable CC. But I do not let my SA slip. Memphis is a gang haven and you cannot go into Memphis proper without coming into close proximity to a gang member or a hundred. I do not however harbor the illusion that simply because I conceal the gun, and I think I am pretty good at it, that the gang members either do not simply assume I am armed or are not experts at spotting even well concealed guns.

By the way, to the OP, I am one of those who subscribed to your videos some time ago and I very much enjoy them. Well done. If you are ever in the Memphis area, please, contact me here before coming so I may shake your hand.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I do both and just dont worry about it in my home state. When I travel, it is mostly CC because I just cant be bothered to know all of the ins and outs of carry in every state I visit. My only concern is if they recognize my permit. After that, I dont care. Even in my home state, there are so many rules about where you can and cant carry, it is a real PITA. I know the rule because that is the law but we have really made things really difficult when they could be so easy.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by randomCOguy View Post
    Part of our defense is surprising the attacker or having greater firepower. If the attacker always knew you were carrying he would make sure to ambush you or surprise you rendering your weapon useless.
    I'm going to start posting these links in every thread like this. If anyone has any other examples/news articles on this subject, it would be much appreciated. Looks it goes both ways... Too bad we'll never know which situation is more likely to happen. I have formed my own assumptions, though.

OCing prevents a robbery:
    Open carry deters armed robbery in Kennesaw - Atlanta gun rights | Examiner.com

OCer's gun taken and used against him:
    Teen homicide suspects have criminal histories | Richmond Times-Dispatch
    lyz_grace likes this.

Does anyone have any links to some of these stories where the open carry guy was taken out first? There must be a lot since it's one of the most popular reasons stated for carrying concealed.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links