Concealed carry life: Open carry vs. Concealed carry

This is a discussion on Concealed carry life: Open carry vs. Concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can't answer poll because neither answer fits my opinion. Constitutional carry, eliminate permits. Do either. Or both. Most will CC, some will OC. CCW permits ...

View Poll Results: If You had your choice of open vs concealed which would you choose?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Open Carry

24 15.09%
  • Concealed Carry

135 84.91%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Concealed carry life: Open carry vs. Concealed carry

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Can't answer poll because neither answer fits my opinion. Constitutional carry, eliminate permits. Do either. Or both. Most will CC, some will OC.

CCW permits are nothing more than what I call "fashion/fabric permits" because they dictate my style of dress. The pendulum of society has swung back against the whole reason for restricting CC with permits. Heck if the whole issue was new and never thought of before, there would probably be more people advocating unrestricted CC but requiring a permit and training for OC since OCers by definition have more "gun contact" with the public and are more likely to experience a gun grab.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Sorry can't vote on this.
    We have both here in Wisconsin and there are times and places for either.

Quote Originally Posted by randomCOguy View Post
    Part of our defense is surprising the attacker or having greater firepower. If the attacker always knew you were carrying he would make sure to ambush you or surprise you rendering your weapon useless.
    This is just way too old for many reasons. First, why do you or anybody else cares how one defends them self? Most folks that OC do a risk assesment and do not live in a fairy tale kingdom. If they feel better OC'ing let them. I don't give a hoot if a BG takes someones weapon whether they were OC'ing or CC'ing. And don't kid yourself about concealed means concealed. Every week I see folks printing or accidently exposing their weapon. And you know what. I don't give a hoot about that either. Personal protection is a personal choice. Some folks OC because they feel it is better for them and others do it because it is their right to do so. I fail to see what the big issue. This goes back to my own personal philosophy of MYOB.
    TN_Mike and ericb327 like this.

PM
    I went CC mainly bcause of the whole why let others know thinking. If I was hiking or working say a farm/ranch type job I would OC out in the woods/fields and CCC in town.

sgb
    I believe the single biggest reason most people don't want to open carry where legal is that they don't want to have to deal with the possibility of an aggravating confrontation with a ill informed LEO or an indignant self righteous hater.
    TN_Mike and Ogre like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I always CC. I like OC being legal in my state in case my gun accidently comes out from cover, which RARELY happens.

I don't have a problem with others OCing except for the relatively few that go out trying to negatively confront citizens and the police.
    "Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts"
    Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Ship A'Hoy View Post
    I don't have a problem with others OCing except for the relatively few that go out trying to negatively confront citizens and the police.
    Most of those that I've watched are from an open carry only state, what other choice do they have? I'm not 100% sure they tried to get attention, they're just showing people what happens on a routine basis where they live and might be tired of it. I'm not naive enough to not believe there are some who go baiting... but it's not every video of an open carrier capturing his negative experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Does anyone have any links to some of these stories where the open carry guy was taken out first? There must be a lot since it's one of the most popular reasons stated for carrying concealed.
    Exactly. You would think so, but the articles that I have attached are literally the only 2 legitimate cases of either scenario that I can find. It seems that it is more of a misconception/irrational fear than something that actually happens. Personally, it seems that the evidence points more into the direction of a firearm being present is more of a deterrent than a risk. It's almost impossible to report the case as being a successful deterrent. If OCing was, in fact, a risky scenario - we should see numerous cases like this across the country. ...Yet, we don't. There are a lot more hypothetical "tactical" talks than there is real world evidence.

Which is why I would love anyone who has links to other stories to share them with me so that I might be able to form a better correlation.

VIP Member
    Concealed, however, OC isn't permitted in SC, not sure I would OC even if it were, concealed fits my lifestyle better.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Limiting myself to just one way of carrying makes about as much sense to me as deciding to only wear short sleeve or long sleeve shirts. There is a time, place, and reason for each type of carry. But perhaps I'm a bit spoiled, Alaska's firearm laws actually treat us like free citizens. :)
    Thunder71 likes this.

Another point I'd like to make on the criminal taking out the guy with a gun first... I think a lot of people make the assumption that if you have a gun on that you either are, or could be, a law enforcement officer. Face it, a lot of people don't know they too can carry a gun.

Now that has a positive and negative to it.

A. People don't want to shoot cops, even bad guys hate shooting cops, it gets attention on them, a lot of it.
    B. People who think you are a cop (or not) are going to be looking to you to protect them if something happens (like mentioned in the video).

Now, if something happens and you draw it makes no difference if you open or conceal carry - all of a sudden you have a gun and people will be looking at you to protect them, as long as they don't think you're the bad guy because a gun came out from who knows where.

I do CC. Good thing about living in the "live free or die" state is that you have the option to OC f you want to. Also, you don't have to worry about the gun showing when you bend over. I don'tmind people knowing that I have a gun, but don't need to stick out like a sore thumb either. Exept for at the range, I never see OCers in the portsmouth/Eppin/Exeter area.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchman View Post
    I do CC. Good thing about living in the "live free or die" state is that you have the option to OC f you want to. Also, you don't have to worry about the gun showing when you bend over. I don'tmind people knowing that I have a gun, but don't need to stick out like a sore thumb either. Exept for at the range, I never see OCers in the portsmouth/Eppin/Exeter area.
    Don't you mean the northern Massachusetts area? LOL
    nhcruffler likes this.

EXCUSE MEEEE???????? LOL
    Used to live in taxachusetts, wouldn't go back if you pay me money to do so.
    First thing on the bucket list when I moved here was to finaly get a handgun (can't have any n MA). NH is NOTHING like MA, thanks God.
    Too many do gooders in liberachusetts for my taste. The town where I used to live (Westford/MA) didn't give CC permits out to anyone. You'd need to take a class and get a firearm card of some sort to take yur gun to the range in a bag. I mean come on, how scared can you be?

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    I believe the single biggest reason most people don't want to open carry where legal is that they don't want to have to deal with the possibility of an aggravating confrontation with a ill informed LEO or an indignant self righteous hater.
    And this I believe is the one legitimate reason to not want to OC. Unlike the usual "reasons" (i.e. "OCers will be targeted/shot/gun taken first", "surprise" and the best: OCers are all "attention whores").

I OC a lot but sometimes CC just because I don't want the hassle. BTW, three times I have OCd where people assumed I was an LEO; one of those times was a cop! Go figure.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links