Concealed carry life: Open carry vs. Concealed carry

This is a discussion on Concealed carry life: Open carry vs. Concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I get that, but I still have a problem with not doing something 100% legal just because someone doesn't like it or know it's legal. ...

View Poll Results: If You had your choice of open vs concealed which would you choose?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Open Carry

    24 15.09%
  • Concealed Carry

    135 84.91%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 102
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Concealed carry life: Open carry vs. Concealed carry

  1. #61
    VIP Member Array Thunder71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    2,509
    I get that, but I still have a problem with not doing something 100% legal just because someone doesn't like it or know it's legal.

    If someone makes a man with a gun call:
    Would I expect to be confronted on occasion, unfortunately yes... just doing their job.
    Would I expect to get thrown to the ground and have a gun pointed at my head, absolutely not.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #62
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    6,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I get that, but I still have a problem with not doing something 100% legal just because someone doesn't like it or know it's legal.

    If someone makes a man with a gun call:
    Would I expect to be confronted on occasion, unfortunately yes... just doing their job.
    Would I expect to get thrown to the ground and have a gun pointed at my head, absolutely not.
    This would depend on your location. It does happen...
    JD and ericb327 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

  4. #63
    Senior Moderator
    Array limatunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,247
    I prefer to conceal.

    Each person has what they are comfortable with and after trying OC a couple of times I just prefer CC.

    I don't want to get asked to leave restaurants. I don't want to be interrupted while I'm eating to answer your questions about state laws. I don't want the evil looks. I don't want to feel uncomfortable and I don't want to MAKE anyone uncomfortable. If I want to make a statement about guns I have many avenues with which to make that statement.

    Now, I will open carry while I'm teaching a class and to and from the range. I will open carry when I have my instructor shirt on but that is when I'm deliberately putting myself into "gun mode." In that "superficial mode" as you talked about in your video because I'm in a place where I'm expected to be confronted about guns and I'm ready and willing to spend as much time as necessary talking about them.

    When I'm taking my kids to the dentist or grocery shopping or just sitting around in the park I want to just do my thing without the added scrutiny (even if it's just my own perception).

    I would actually LOVE to open carry. It would make holster and carry options so much simpler. If I lived in an area where it was very socially acceptable to OC I could very easily see myself open carrying. But in the mean time I'll conceal.

  5. #64
    Member Array lyz_grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    251
    What lima said
    hogdoc357 likes this.

  6. #65
    Member Array hogdoc357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I prefer to conceal.

    Each person has what they are comfortable with and after trying OC a couple of times I just prefer CC.

    I don't want to get asked to leave restaurants. I don't want to be interrupted while I'm eating to answer your questions about state laws. I don't want the evil looks. I don't want to feel uncomfortable and I don't want to MAKE anyone uncomfortable. If I want to make a statement about guns I have many avenues with which to make that statement.

    Now, I will open carry while I'm teaching a class and to and from the range. I will open carry when I have my instructor shirt on but that is when I'm deliberately putting myself into "gun mode." In that "superficial mode" as you talked about in your video because I'm in a place where I'm expected to be confronted about guns and I'm ready and willing to spend as much time as necessary talking about them.

    When I'm taking my kids to the dentist or grocery shopping or just sitting around in the park I want to just do my thing without the added scrutiny (even if it's just my own perception).

    I would actually LOVE to open carry. It would make holster and carry options so much simpler. If I lived in an area where it was very socially acceptable to OC I could very easily see myself open carrying. But in the mean time I'll conceal.
    DITTO!

  7. #66
    Member Array RugerMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    110
    In PA I have the option of both. The only place I ever open carry is at the range. I live in a more urban area and I would scare the natives if I were to OC.
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

  8. #67
    VIP Member Array wmhawth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    4,382
    My method of choice for in town self defense carry is concealed. I believe that "Grey Man" mode affords me options for how to respond to or not respond to different situations and that the element of surprise really does give tactical advantage. If bad people ever discover that I'm carrying a gun it will mean they are just about to have a real bad day.

  9. #68
    VIP Member Array mprp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,886
    I prefer CC and being the "grey" man in the crowd, blending in and catching no one's eye.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

    Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

  10. #69
    VIP Member Array First Sgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Posts
    7,967
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    Concealed, however, OC isn't permitted in SC, not sure I would OC even if it were, concealed fits my lifestyle better.
    shooterX...Technically you are correct...However, there ARE some exceptions...For instance,in South Carolina you may OC in your own home AND you may OC on your entire outside premises if you own the land and buildings around your home. There are other exceptions as well. I generally remove my conceal garment when I get home and OC the complete time that I am on my own premises, inside and OUTSIDE.

    I did vote "Concealed" however...
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

  11. #70
    sgb
    sgb is offline
    VIP Member Array sgb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    You don't need to know
    Posts
    2,414
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I prefer to conceal.

    Each person has what they are comfortable with and after trying OC a couple of times I just prefer CC.

    I don't want to get asked to leave restaurants. I don't want to be interrupted while I'm eating to answer your questions about state laws. I don't want the evil looks. I don't want to feel uncomfortable and I don't want to MAKE anyone uncomfortable. If I want to make a statement about guns I have many avenues with which to make that statement.

    Now, I will open carry while I'm teaching a class and to and from the range. I will open carry when I have my instructor shirt on but that is when I'm deliberately putting myself into "gun mode." In that "superficial mode" as you talked about in your video because I'm in a place where I'm expected to be confronted about guns and I'm ready and willing to spend as much time as necessary talking about them.

    When I'm taking my kids to the dentist or grocery shopping or just sitting around in the park I want to just do my thing without the added scrutiny (even if it's just my own perception).

    I would actually LOVE to open carry. It would make holster and carry options so much simpler. If I lived in an area where it was very socially acceptable to OC I could very easily see myself open carrying. But in the mean time I'll conceal.

    It's certainly your prerogative and understandable.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

  12. #71
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,142
    The numbers of people across the U.S. that carry open is very small compared to the numbers of people that carry concealed.
    So really you would need to look at the number of...armed security guards that carry open and possibly research how many of them get relieved of their firearms. killed with them....blah blah blah.

    I only say this because....when you are minding your own business standing in the supermarket checkout line and a robbery goes down - if your firearm is visible....you ARE the security guard equivalent. There are scenarios that you could potentially find yourself in where you would need to be the person that needs to be "taken out" first.

    The next time you go somewhere that there is an armed guard present try playing a little game with yourself - check out the holster - check out what the guy is doing and ask yourself how long it would take you to get that firearm if you didn't give a crap about anything and you really wanted it.
    If you are in decent physical condition I'm betting that you could walk up to the guy - innocently ask for "directions" to the MENS ROOM (or whatever) and you could own that gun and feed him the muzzle in 3 seconds or less.
    I know I could get it and I probably have less street smarts than the ex-con that just got out after doing a decade in the hardcore pokey.

    I'm not going to do the homework on it but, search Google multiple ways.

    Like....Security Guard Killed with his own gun.

    Armed Guard killed with own gun.

    Gun taken from security guard. Etc...etc....etc....and that will help paint a more complete picture.

    Try - security guard hit over the head

    Try - guard overpowered

    The more creative ways that you search - the more you will find.



    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    Exactly. You would think so, but the articles that I have attached are literally the only 2 legitimate cases of either scenario that I can find. It seems that it is more of a misconception/irrational fear than something that actually happens. Personally, it seems that the evidence points more into the direction of a firearm being present is more of a deterrent than a risk. It's almost impossible to report the case as being a successful deterrent. If OCing was, in fact, a risky scenario - we should see numerous cases like this across the country. ...Yet, we don't. There are a lot more hypothetical "tactical" talks than there is real world evidence.

    Which is why I would love anyone who has links to other stories to share them with me so that I might be able to form a better correlation.
    NY27 likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

  13. #72
    Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bellevue, Ky/Cincinatti
    Posts
    1,415
    I think attitudes about OC vary by geographical locations. Some locals generally accept OC. Some here have stated they are not willing to OC because of negative interaction with LE or potential for MWAG calls. These are valid arguments for your locals. Some here (like me) live in areas that are more accepting of OC therefore our decisions to OC are less likely to have negative interactions with LE or citizens. There is some good that can come from encounters with LE that are unaware of OC laws; at the end of the encounter LE is somewhat educated. My point!? Attitudes about OC can be affected by geographical location.

    Thoughts?
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

    https://www.facebook.com/ninja312


    My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

  14. #73
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,822
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The numbers of people across the U.S. that carry open is very small compared to the numbers of people that carry concealed.
    So really you would need to look at the number of...armed security guards that carry open and possibly research how many of them get relieved of their firearms. killed with them....blah blah blah.

    I only say this because....when you are minding your own business standing in the supermarket checkout line and a robbery goes down - if your firearm is visible....you ARE the security guard equivalent. There are scenarios that you could potentially find yourself in where you would need to be the person that needs to be "taken out" first.

    The next time you go somewhere that there is an armed guard present try playing a little game with yourself - check out the holster - check out what the guy is doing and ask yourself how long it would take you to get that firearm if you didn't give a crap about anything and you really wanted it.
    If you are in decent physical condition I'm betting that you could walk up to the guy - innocently ask for "directions" to the MENS ROOM (or whatever) and you could own that gun and feed him the muzzle in 3 seconds or less.
    I know I could get it and I probably have less street smarts than the ex-con that just got out after doing a decade in the hardcore pokey.

    I'm not going to do the homework on it but, search Google multiple ways.

    Like....Security Guard Killed with his own gun.

    Armed Guard killed with own gun.

    Gun taken from security guard. Etc...etc....etc....and that will help paint a more complete picture.

    Try - security guard hit over the head

    Try - guard overpowered

    The more creative ways that you search - the more you will find.
    I get your point but we are talking about folks that CC for self defense as a civilian. Not as part of their job. That is like combining the stats of industrial accidents and home accidents and saying they are the same. But again, stats have and always will be used to the detriment of ones argument or to help ones argument.

    Sadly, you would think that a security guard, since it is their job, would be more proficient in the use and retention of a firearm. But the fact is they are not. Many do not have proper equipment or training. And even the Brinks drivers look woefully not prepared for an attack.

    As far as playing a game. I do it every time I go shopping with the wife (I hate shopping so I need something to do.) I try to spot folks CC'ing. And quite frankly, they are easier to disarm than one OC'ing provided the person OC'ing has a proper retention system IMO. Getting underneath ones jacket to disarm a CC'er is a no brainer. Plus with no retention...easy pickings. And don't kid yourselves. You can spot folks everyday if you try hard enough. And sometimes not so hard. Again, I am not saying either is better or worse. Folks have already made up there mind.

    I really don't care because it is a individual decision. No matter which way you carry you need to train and train.
    tcox4freedom and Lotus222 like this.

  15. #74
    Member Array CDRGlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    485
    I live in Virginia (where open or concealed carry is legal), and concealed carry is the norm where I go/live. First it depends upon your local culture. If open carry is part of that culture, then by all means. If it is not, then people feel their safety is at risk by its open presence.

    Whether a person is choosing open or concealed carry, it is the attitude that you have and the manner by which you carry yourself that can bring attention to yourself. I don't get aggressive or belligerent. I don't drink when I carry. If I have to take medications that would hinder judgement, I won't carry.

    Whether you open or conceal, it's your situational awareness and avoiding comprising situations that keep you safe. It's not paying attention to the phone when walking in the parking lot, or even in a store. If you're not aware of your surroundings, you become easy pickings.

    If there is a group of rambunctious individuals and they're beyond your capacity to take care of a situation, then avoidance is best.

    I don't get into places or scenarios that would be risky, and certainly, having a firearm doesn't impart a sense of invincibility to go where I wouldn't unarmed. I don't go to gas stations or ATMs at night, regardless of the "safe nature" of the area. I do not wear flashy clothes, drive a fancy car or flash money around.

    There are differences but it's how you're perceived. Use an acceptable behavior and it should not matter. It's a personal choice but it's a jury of peers. Stay within your local norm.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

  16. #75
    VIP Member Array NY27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,387
    I open carry when in uniform as a PO. But I have a level 3 holster and training in how to retain my firearm. When off-duty, I always carry concealed. I prefer the element of surprise.

    I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you choose to open carry, you owe it to yourself and everyone around you to get the training in how to retain your firearm.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

brinks open carry in sc
,

concealed carry security guard

,

nevada concealed weapon permit conflict employer's policy

,

open carry harassment mesa arizona

,

open carry vs concealed

,

open carry vs concealed carry security guard

,

powered by mybb little bear arms

,
powered by mybb little people
,
powered by mybb money talks galleries
,
powered by mybb open country a/t
,
powered by mybb still life art
,
powered by mybb summer food
Click on a term to search for related topics.