Concealed carry life: Open carry vs. Concealed carry

This is a discussion on Concealed carry life: Open carry vs. Concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ericb327 I would agree with NY27 that the chances for an OCer to have an attempted gun grab than a CCer are ...

View Poll Results: If You had your choice of open vs concealed which would you choose?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Open Carry

24 15.09%
  • Concealed Carry

135 84.91%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Concealed carry life: Open carry vs. Concealed carry

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I would agree with NY27 that the chances for an OCer to have an attempted gun grab than a CCer are higher just because they actually know you have a firearm. I don't think that needs to be proven. I OC from time to time and do it with the understandings of the risks. I haven't really seen any hatred of OC from his posts. Maybe I'm missing something.
    Unsubstantiated statements that can't be proven usually are based on emotion. Given NY's response asking for said proof (and other posts he's made, same subject), I don't think the word "hatred" is too far off the mark.

And yes, people who make statements "It is more likely that those who open carry will have a grab attempt vs a WELL concealed weapon." does need to be proven. And I don't think it can be. People are free to argue either way, but if you make definitive statements one way or the other, you need to prove it or at least attempt to back those statements up; if we relied on "common sense", we would had full and complete gun control in this country; that's the argument that anti-gunners use. Funny how those that hate OC sound so much like them.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    Unsubstantiated statements that can't be proven usually are based on emotion. Given NY's response asking for said proof (and other posts he's made, same subject), I don't think the word "hatred" is too far off the mark.

And yes, people who make statements "It is more likely that those who open carry will have a grab attempt vs a WELL concealed weapon." does need to be proven. And I don't think it can be. People are free to argue either way, but if you make definitive statements one way or the other, you need to prove it or at least attempt to back those statements up; if we relied on "common sense", we would had full and complete gun control in this country; that's the argument that anti-gunners use. Funny how those that hate OC sound so much like them.
    Ok, but where are you getting that he hates OC. I see him saying it's important to have training in retention from both modes of carry. I OC and I will make the statement also. I think OCers are more likely to have a grab attempted than CCers. Would a criminal go around lifting the shirts of people to see if they have a gun? Probably not. It is common sense! Do I have to back up my personal opinions with findings that don't exist. Nope!
    NY27 likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post

Personally, I think common sense dictates an OCer is far less likely to have his firearm taken away because the BG knows he is definitely carrying; and would look elsewhere for a victim. (Perhaps someone who prefers to "surprise" a BG "after" an attack has already started.)

IMHO;
    Common sense would seem to dictate an attempted gun grab would take place with someone who CC's because a BG would know a firearm was present until the altercation was already in progress.
    (See what I did there?)

-
    carracer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Didn't think so.
    It's funny people like you can offer NO evidence to support your hatred for OC. So, you have to resort to belittling others that don't think the same way as you. TYPICAL
    First of all, I don't appreciate you putting words in my mouth. I never said that I hate OC. Look at my previous posts, I have always said, if someone wants to OC, have at it. I OC 8 hours a day, 5 days a week at work. I CC off-duty.

As far as sources, I don't have any for OC vs well concealed. But I have read far too many times about PO's killed with their own firearms. Would that count as OC?

And who did I belittle? Sorry if your sensitive little feelings were hurt because I could care less if you believe me or not. You need some thicker skin there, pal. Lighten up, Francis.
    ericb327 likes this.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

BTW Tcox, if you're ever up in the NY area, drop me a line. I'll teach you how to retain your firearm, free of charge ;) 25 years of Kenpo and I'm a Krav Maga Force Training Instrcutor. Been teaching LE how to keep their guns in their holster and their hands for a while now.

Just throwing it out there.
    ericb327 likes this.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I would OC here if it were more common, but I've always been shy by nature and no matter how you look at it, OC draws attention.

I do wish this issue was less polarizing though. I see more anger from the OC advocates toward CC and vice versa than I see from some of the antis.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    BTW Tcox, if you're ever up in the NY area, drop me a line. I'll teach you how to retain your firearm, free of charge ;) 25 years of Kenpo and I'm a Krav Maga Force Training Instrcutor. Been teaching LE how to keep their guns in their holster and their hands for a while now.

That sounds like an expert opinion to me!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I must admit that when I wake up in the morning I look for any OC vs CC threads....then after reading them I proceed to bang my head against the wall for a few minutes. That seems to make everything alright.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Administrator
    If you ever get tired of doing that yourself....I can do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I must admit that when I wake up in the morning I look for any OC vs CC threads....then after reading them I proceed to bang my head against the wall for a few minutes. That seems to make everything alright.
    tcox4freedom and suntzu like this.

Concealed carry life: Open carry vs. Concealed carry

There is no open carry in concealed carry life. /thread

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post

I do appreciate the offer. But, I don't get up that way to often. (I can't CC there ya know)

Besides that, I'm fully capable of retaining my weapon without instruction. I'm also fully capable of disarming & using the attackers own weapon against them. (I learned how when I was eight.)

Thankfully, my wife is currently taking Krav Maga instruction here locally. We finally have someone here that offers lessons once a week. (No full time instructors here yet; unfortunately)

-

I conceal the majority of the time, open carry when I have too.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links