Concealed carry life: Open carry vs. Concealed carry

This is a discussion on Concealed carry life: Open carry vs. Concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I keep getting asked about my stance on Open carry vs. Concealed carry, so I finally stated to give my 2 cents for what it's ...

View Poll Results: If You had your choice of open vs concealed which would you choose?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Open Carry

24 15.09%
  • Concealed Carry

135 84.91%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Concealed carry life: Open carry vs. Concealed carry

Concealed carry life: Open carry vs. Concealed carry

I keep getting asked about my stance on Open carry vs. Concealed carry, so I finally stated to give my 2 cents for what it's worth. What do you guys think, especially considering the focus of this forum?

QKShooter and RichB70 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Oh boy, the fun begins I didn't vote. i OC when the situation dictates (hiking, snow shoeing, walking the dog) I CC when I feel the need in everyday life.
    NH_Esau and mano3 like this.

Ditto on SunTzu's comment. Must be a NH thang.

CC...I have always enjoyed surprises!
    mano3, zacii, preachertim and 3 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I voted for concealed. I like being underestimated.

I don't mind OC'ing on occasion, though.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    CC...I have always enjoyed surprises!
    I don't really think the bears in my area care either way I carry

JD
    Administrator
    For me concealed carry just fits my life better.

For carrying @ work to my mode of dress outside of work and not wanting even the remote chance of unfavorable contact with LE, concealed carry just works better for me.

Now, moderator note, lets not get all rhetorical on the "Element of surprise" "You'll be targeted" etc. etc.

Concealed. I like the advantage of surprise. Besides, even though Ohio is an open carry state, I have only seen it at a range. Try it in any urban area, and you are likely get get a bunch of MWAG calls to 911 and subsequent inquiries by LEOs. Just isn't worth the hassle!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

In Minnesota it's not 'if' I have a choice, I 'do' have a choice... and I feel that's the best option, period.

I won't argue the benefits and cons on both sides, there's really no point because there's not enough data to prove one way or the other... I just wish people would quit drawing attention to it, I like not having to worry if my gun prints or shows while I reach for something on the top shelf.

Since I do have a choice I exercise it as I see fit... I typically carry concealed, but have no issues carrying open on occasion and have never been the subject to a MWAG call or police harassment.

Concealed based mostly on the fact I don't have to constantly deal with LEO's responding to MWAG calls.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I would open carry all the time if it weren't for the constant police harassment and all the sheep.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

There are times when I would open carry,at home,an IDPA match,Teaching a class on the range but in general I think you invite unwanted attention when you open carry. Being discreet,staying off the radar,seems to be safer,not making yourself a target for every gun hating liberal that wants to cause trouble. Bad guys look around too,they size up the opposisition before making their move.OCer,first to go.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I see some can't seem but help believing the false "surprise" element for CC. Personally, I don't want a BG to underestimate my abilities & willingness to FIGHT.

I'm a proponent of OC and would love to see it become legal in my state. So, I would OC and CC. (Primarily, because it would really be nice to OC in the SC summer heat.)

However, I can totally relate to the OP about possible police harassment. I'm a white guy that usually doesn't have any issues with LEOs. But, I have some very good friends that are black men. They have to constantly worry about police stopping them & hassling them. (Primarily, because of where they have to live & the places they do business.)

I don't mean to sound racist. But, the truth is the truth. We live in a society that looks at young black men with a suspecting eye. I do think it could be extra dangerous for a young black man to OC. Not because of people like me & others on this forum. But, because of the strong racial attitudes that really has become much, much divisive in the past couple of years.

Pretty good video explaining you point of view OP.

-
    TN_Mike and ericb327 like this.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I really like this guys videos! CC 80% OC 20%.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    In Minnesota it's not 'if' I have a choice, I 'do' have a choice... and I feel that's the best option, period.

I won't argue the benefits and cons on both sides, there's really no point because there's not enough data to prove one way or the other... I just wish people would quit drawing attention to it, I like not having to worry if my gun prints or shows while I reach for something on the top shelf.

Since I do have a choice I exercise it as I see fit... I typically carry concealed, but have no issues carrying open on occasion and have never been the subject to a MWAG call or police harassment.
    Same here but I'm in KY. I often carry concealed with a Galco OTWB with shirt pulled over. Prints very badly, but its not an issue since we have OC.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links