So is Wal-Mart Gun Friendly, or is it not?

This is a discussion on So is Wal-Mart Gun Friendly, or is it not? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TedBeau Not meaning to bust your chops, but your point about no unlicensed firearms doesn't make sense, you might as well put ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: So is Wal-Mart Gun Friendly, or is it not?

GH
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Not meaning to bust your chops, but your point about no unlicensed firearms doesn't make sense, you might as well put up a sign that says no criminals with guns allowed, because either the gun is legal or it's not. If they don't care about carrying an illegal gun then they are not going to care about a sign.
    I see you recognized my sarcasm, lol.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BaconHunter View Post
    I was told by a friend that a no guns sign went up today at the Wal-Mart in Wadsworth, Ohio. The manager is being contacted for explanation. Any kind of sign in Ohio has the force of law so this is worrying. I found the post about it being in the regional manager's hands enlightening.
    Good news! After a single complaint the sign is now back down.
    ArmyMan likes this.

I live in South Texas and at every Wal-Mart I have been to there is signs in English and Spanish clearly stating that firearms are not permitted unless by someone who is licensed to carry one such as a CHL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Overall I do believe that Wal Mart IS gun friendly. I carry in all of them I go to...heck...I carry and I carry all of the time. I have open carried at the Wal Mart super centers in Lawrence and Ft Scott, KS. So long as Wal Mart continues to sell ammo....they ought to be as gun friendly as you can get in my opinion. The day somebody has a stupid discharge carrying in one of their stores.....things might change. That's just the way things are.......somebody is always ready to ruin things for the rest of us responsible folks. Until that day happens (and it will no doubt).......carry whenever and wherever you can.
    You called it dude.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Folks;

Let's remember to refrain from advocating anything that is illegal on the Forum.

10. Discussion of illegal activities, except in reporting the actions of others, is not allowed. Discussion for the purpose of promoting these activities may subject the poster to being banned. Admission of illegal activity on your part will be removed. Anyone quoting or referencing deleted or edited posts will have their posts edited/removed as well. In short, DO NOT use this forum to admit to breaking the law, even in your distant past.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Wal-marts Corporate policy is to comply with state law. Meaning if you can legally CC, or OC you can legally CC or OC in walmart.

However. Patronizing walmart is up to the GM's digression. Meaning if he doesnt want you to carry, or OC in his store he has the right to ask you to leave. If you do not do so you can be criminally trespassed for it.

But according to Corporate, they follow state law.

Quote Originally Posted by danwdooley View Post
    Since I received my CHL I have been attentive to prohibition signs on various business entrances. Here in Texas, a "legal" sign is supposed to meet three requirements. Posted in both English and Spanish, block letters, and with letters at least one inch high. So that makes for a fairly moderate sized sign.

Looking at the entrance to Sams Club today and a Wal-Mart, I noted signs prohibiting guns inside. Honestly I did not read every word on the signs as I was just "checking out" these things before carrying that much. There were two copies of the signs, side by side. One in English and one in Spanish. However, the lettering was much smaller than one inch. Not much larger than a half inch.

I thought, from some sources that Wal-Mart is gun friendly. Now I'm not so sure. Anyone have any thoughts or know the facts concerning this merchant and carrying concealed while in the stores?
    I have a confession to make: I carry into businesses with 'no-firearms' signs posted. I know they don't want me to carry into their business and I do anyway.

Now before folks string me up for being disrespectful, please allow me to say two things, then you may begin the flogging.

1. In my state (SD) these signs do not carry the force of law. I have looked into my state's position on these signs, and the worst that can happen is I'm asked to leave. I've been asked to leave only once before for carrying a firearm (I was carrying my Springfield.45XD in a BlackHawk holster under a t-shirt and evidently the holster printed me); I politely apologized and calmly left. No problem. So, my first point is to clarify that I'm not braking the law or trying to be a jerk.

2. I don't do this out of arrogance. IMO all gun-free-zones are public hazards one should have to demonstrate a need for and apply for an annual permit to maintain. Simply put, if the business doesn't have a 'need' to ban firearms, such as the presence of hazardous materials, such as a propain refueling station, then I place my safety above their right not to have firearms in their business. Also, I only do this on privat property which is subject to Public Accommodation laws, which automatically means I'm not talking about a residence (so don't bother asking). Consider it a sort of civil disobedience over something I genuinely believe is unjust.

Again, I don't ever cop an attitude. I otherwise act respectful and civil in every way, and if asked to leave, I do without a fuss.

You may begin the flogging.

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    I'm planning on going to Walmart in the Milwaukee, WI area in the near future to pick up some cheap ammo. Since I'm licensed to carry I will. I'll post what the results are. If they have a no firearms sign I won't bother going in.

I can see both sides of the no firearms in businesses question. It's a private business & they can do anything they want. I can elect not to patronize them. My feelings are that the signs should read "no unlicensed firearm"s. You can bet that an unlicensed thug will be carrying. All that accomplishes is to keep the honest, trained, licensed gun carrier from shopping there. I'll be darned if I'll stow my pistol in the car for someone to break in & steal it. There are no hiding places that a thief can't find.
    Such a sign would get you closed down pretty fast in my state, since licencing/registering firearms is illegal:
    23-7-8.6. List, record, or registry of privately owned firearms, owners of firearms, or holders of permits prohibited. No state agency, political subdivision, official, agent, or employee of any state agency or political subdivision may knowingly keep or cause to be kept any list, record, or registry of privately owned firearms or any list, record, or registry of the owners of those firearms, or any list, record, or registry of holders of permits to carry a concealed pistol.

South Dakota Codified Laws
    Since we don't license specific firearms, there wouldn't be anything to present to you when you ask for proof, so you would have to reject everyone who carried into your business.

CJM
    I would call their corporate number, not to get someone in trouble but to get some verification. I've been told on numerous occasions by the people who work there that their policy is to allow any legal means of carrying guns inside their store. If a Walmart is posted(which can be legally ignored here in WA) that means that likely some over zealous eager beaver manager is not following policy.

It may be that I'm not very attentive but I have never seen a NO FIREARMS sign in Michigan. Correct me if there are any you have seen.

WOW! I just noticed I have only 2 posts. I'll have to get more involved.

Quote Originally Posted by TxWheels View Post
    I live in South Texas and at every Wal-Mart I have been to there is signs in English and Spanish clearly stating that firearms are not permitted unless by someone who is licensed to carry one such as a CHL.
    So I guess you see a lot of cartel guys running back to their cars to drop off a weapon, right?

My closest Walmart has no signs on the front doors, but when I went to the check cashing/business area, I saw a "no firearms allowed" sign in that area. I am going to ask the manager what the deal is and report back on this.

Yesterday I noticed a new sign near the front door on the Walmart store in Las Cruces, NM. The SAMS Club has had a sign on a pole in the liquor department. We've asked the SAMS Club Manager to relocate the sign to the front door on several occasions and he agreed, but has yet to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    I always carry at Wal-Mart.

Personally I think anyone who doesn't carry at Wal-Mart is either stupid or has a death wish. Have you seen some of the people that shop there?
    And yet you still shop there!

Who cares. Who shops at China-mart anyway?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links