So is Wal-Mart Gun Friendly, or is it not?

This is a discussion on So is Wal-Mart Gun Friendly, or is it not? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since I received my CHL I have been attentive to prohibition signs on various business entrances. Here in Texas, a "legal" sign is supposed to ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: So is Wal-Mart Gun Friendly, or is it not?

Since I received my CHL I have been attentive to prohibition signs on various business entrances. Here in Texas, a "legal" sign is supposed to meet three requirements. Posted in both English and Spanish, block letters, and with letters at least one inch high. So that makes for a fairly moderate sized sign.

Looking at the entrance to Sams Club today and a Wal-Mart, I noted signs prohibiting guns inside. Honestly I did not read every word on the signs as I was just "checking out" these things before carrying that much. There were two copies of the signs, side by side. One in English and one in Spanish. However, the lettering was much smaller than one inch. Not much larger than a half inch.

I thought, from some sources that Wal-Mart is gun friendly. Now I'm not so sure. Anyone have any thoughts or know the facts concerning this merchant and carrying concealed while in the stores?
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

Have never seen one posted in Kansas yet, don't ever get to a Sam's. My local Wal-mart even sells long guns, not just grandpas fudd guns either, they got them there evil black gangsta machine guns too!
    Guest1 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member
    My thought, because I believe that Walmart corporate states that they follow the laws of each state, so it may be that, even though concealed carry is legal there, there is a store manager who doesn't want them but by not making them exactly to code, they don't have the force of law which then they can't get in trouble from corporate for doing. They may be banking on people not knowing the law and following their signs. But it would be hard to tell. Glad I don't live where any gun signs have the force of law behind them.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

That's a new one on me. I always thought that WW was 2A friendly. Haven't seen the sign around here. Maybe the manager there didn't get the memo. In fact, the only gunbuster sign I've seen around here was at the Toys-R-Us. Of course, they don't sell ammo either.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

This particular Sam's has a Wal-Mart on the same grounds. That was not the one we visited but rather one some ways away, actually in a different "town" (Suburb). The signs themselves looked to be about the size of a sheet of standard letter paper. They also looked rather old with the printing looking a little faded. I don't know if they may have been there for a very long time and perhaps just not even thought about. This is Texas, after all and the state is gun friendly enough. I can't believe that many Wal-Mart shoppers are not carrying while they're in the store. The signs as they are do not meet the legal requirements but still, I suspect that a hassle could still result if it became known that you were carrying in the store.
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I have never seen a Wal Mart posted in the three states I normally circulate in.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

sgb
    Simply contact Corporate with your concerns as to the signs, odds are they are currently unaware.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    As others have said, Walmart stated policy is that they follow the law of the state they are located in.

I would first challange the manager (in a civil way) as to the signs. If that doesn't resolve the issue, then contact Walmart corporate headquarters about it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Simply contact Corporate with your concerns as to the signs, odds are they are currently unaware.
    WHY would you want to contact Corporate and stir the pot against conceal carry? "UHHH, scuse me Mr. Corporate Dingaling...Do you realize how confusing your gun signs are in your stores. If you don't want us to carry in your stores, then here is exactly how the signs should be, so I can go ahead and leave my weapon in my vehicle when I park, so you might want to go ahead and get all of the signs corrected"....

Geez....read the laws of the state you live in, know them, and follow them. What's so difficult about that?
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

mkh
    I always carry at Wal-Mart.

Personally I think anyone who doesn't carry at Wal-Mart is either stupid or has a death wish. Have you seen some of the people that shop there?
    darbo likes this.

What you are probably seeing is the TABC sign that is posted on any business that sells alcohol. If it does contain the exact language from section 30.06 you can ignore it.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I've never seen Wally world or sams club posted with the 30.06 sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cowbilly32 likes this.

I carry and quite often OC in the one by me, no issues to date.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

they are too red neck to post a sign... american as apple pie

In NC they are friendly.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links