Secrets and Keys to snub nose accuracy? - Page 2

Secrets and Keys to snub nose accuracy?

This is a discussion on Secrets and Keys to snub nose accuracy? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Grip it like someone is trying to take it away from you and shoot you with it. Airweight S&W revolvers will try to twist out ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Secrets and Keys to snub nose accuracy?

Grip it like someone is trying to take it away from you and shoot you with it. Airweight S&W revolvers will try to twist out of your hands so with a hard grip the more control you have. Get a pair of laser grips and try to keep the laser dot steady while dryfiring. Use the distal (first) joint of your trigger finger for better double action trigger control. If you use the pad of your finger it is harder to keep the laser dot steady when dryfiring. Alot of people hate snubbies and blame the gun because they won't take the time to learn how to shoot it. There is a good book called "The Subby Revolver" by Ed Lovette.

For me, a Wolff shooters pack springs helped a ton. Grip it tight and pull the trigger hard and fast, don't squeeze it. Pull it like your life depended on it and your adrenaline was pumping, because that's how it would be. Forget this squeeze it, stage the trigger BS. Pull it like you mean it and practice that way. The tip of the finger on the trigger and a pull keeps you on target where as a squeeze with the first knuckle on the trigger tends to push you left of target. Trigger time at the range is priceless, but practice how it would go down.
    kwoodford likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I had some problems at first with my LCR, mostly low and left. Any imperfections in grip or trigger movement are exacerbated in this little guns. Reviewing the fundamentals is the order of the day.

For two handed shooting I really like Jerry Miculek's grip. This grip allows for better control and faster follow up shots especially with big boy loads.

Jerry2-6.gif
    WHEC724 likes this.

2.6 inch's and very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by hogdoc357 View Post
    Just thought I would start a new topic.Share with us any tips, techniques, secrets, or keys for being accurate with your Snub Nose Revolver.Also, share with us how you have improved your accuracy.And, with fixed sights, how do you adjust your impact points? Byron
    . Vastly improved my accuracy with the trigger job that made my S&W638 smooth as silk and dead on accurate. Added the Crimson Trace laser grips to seal the deal. Two items that I would say made a night and day difference in before and after. Hope that helps..
    Last edited by gottabkiddin; June 9th, 2012 at 02:27 PM.
    hogdoc357 likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    I had some problems at first with my LCR, mostly low and left. Any imperfections in grip or trigger movement are exacerbated in this little guns. Reviewing the fundamentals is the order of the day.

For two handed shooting I really like Jerry Miculek's grip. This grip allows for better control and faster follow up shots especially with big boy loads.

Jerry2-6.gif
    Yup. Back when I was struggling with my 637, I spent one evening just soaking in Jerry's online advice. It made a huge difference.

Lead Moderator
    Make sure you have a grip that fits your hand! Most of the snubbies seem to have small grips out of the box. I had a S&W Model 60 and replaced the grips, made all the difference in the world!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I don't know who said this but

"if you can't reach out and hit the BG in the head with the snub nose you are out of range"
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

Jerry2-6.gif
    Hey Doghandler,
    I did not know this was Jerry Miculek's Grip, but this is the way I have been gripping revolvers ever since I started shooting. Some do it differently, but crossing my left thumb over strengthens my overall grip and holds the revolver steady much better. Gives me more stability and allows for better follow up shots too.

Byron

The secret and keys to a snubbie?
    First realize its limitations and intended uses, it is not a beginners gun, nor are they easy to shoot well. You must spend a lot of time, and energy to become proficient with it as well as maintain the level of proficiency.... Practice, practice, practice.... Not just shooting either, drawing, reloading, etc.
    Reloads are my crux, being lefthanded I spend a significant amount of time working on them, transfer the gun to my right hand, grasp the cylinder and dump the empties, after a bit of dry practice this is where I realized that I carried my speed strip in my right pocket.... Like I would do with a semi auto magazine.... Practice...
    That being said I usually have a 442-2 in my pocket every day. :D

Sent from this... Using that...

Sponsor
    Get as close as you can, walk towards the target not away from it.
    Longer barrels for longer distance, short barrels for short distance.

A very short barrel is good @ 5-10 yards.
    A subnose properly benched is accurate at longer distances of course but we're talking human wrists here.
    Go with the glow

Quote Originally Posted by DukeShooter View Post
    I don't know who said this but

"if you can't reach out and hit the BG in the head with the snub nose you are out of range"
    ... was completely wrong.

and
    (from everything I've ever heard) goes against everything that's taught by the best instructors out there.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by gatopardo View Post
    Longer barrels for longer distance, short barrels for short distance.

A very short barrel is good @ 5-10 yards.
    A subnose properly benched is accurate at longer distances of course but we're talking human wrists here.
    With 2 shots from my .357 snub I can hit a target at 50yds. With 2 shots from the same gun I can get 2 COM hits at 25yds.

Or course that is not at someone attacking, and taking 1-2 seconds to aim. At anything less than 20yds, I'd be hard pressed to miss. At the distances you would most likely be using it, you could just as well stick the barrel in their mouth and pull the trigger. While that's not an excuse to not be proficient, it's the truth; especially with something like a snub, you are not going to be engaging someone/thing at more than 10-15yds.

With practice, you can make shots at 30+yds with relative ease (I can typically put 1/2 my rounds on target at 75-100yds). While those numbers aren't exceptional, I don't think it's too bad either. Considering that's from a 2" barrel with a black front and rear sight.
    hogdoc357 likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Jerry2-6.gif
    I agree and IMO this grip is key. If you're not shooting a defensive revolver like this, you're shortchanging yourself.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    With 2 shots from my .357 snub I can hit a target at 50yds. With 2 shots from the same gun I can get 2 COM hits at 25yds.

Or course that is not at someone attacking, and taking 1-2 seconds to aim. At anything less than 20yds, I'd be hard pressed to miss. At the distances you would most likely be using it, you could just as well stick the barrel in their mouth and pull the trigger. While that's not an excuse to not be proficient, it's the truth; especially with something like a snub, you are not going to be engaging someone/thing at more than 10-15yds.

With practice, you can make shots at 30+yds with relative ease (I can typically put 1/2 my rounds on target at 75-100yds). While those numbers aren't exceptional, I don't think it's too bad either. Considering that's from a 2" barrel with a black front and rear sight.
    I agree with you and many others in this forum that say the snub nose is for close up social work. I do understand and agree. I have been shooting snubs for some time, but my question was to solicit all you folks' expertise on improving snub shooting for longer distances. My hidden motive is I shoot IDPA with a snub. Just something I want to do and I want to play IDPA with the gun I carry, and I carry 5 shot snubs (I understand the limitations of a 5 shot snub in IDPA). IDPA targets can be out to 25-30 yards at times and I was just looking for anyone who has developed some level of proficiency hitting targets at those distances with the snub. Of the many posts received, many of you have given me some great instructional information. Thanks to all.

Byron

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links