Michigan CPL - Macomb County gun board review

This is a discussion on Michigan CPL - Macomb County gun board review within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone been through a recent gun board review in Michigan (preferably Macomb County)? I have mine (first time issue not renewal) coming up soon ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Michigan CPL - Macomb County gun board review

Has anyone been through a recent gun board review in Michigan (preferably Macomb County)? I have mine (first time issue not renewal) coming up soon and was wondering if there was anything to be aware of.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I went through it in Grand Traverse County. It is the board voting on if you should get a permit. If something came up on your background check they may ask you a question. The only question a bulk of us got asked was "If we know of anything that we did not put on our application that would preclude us from getting a permit." I said no and they said NP sounds good. Out of 20 people at the board, only one person got differed to the next board because there was a question about her application that he had to answer. If you didn't lie and your background check was good you will be fine.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grnwdjsn View Post
    ... gun board review...
    That is so wrong, on so many counts. Sorry you have to live with that. I'm glad I live in a state which you submit the application, they take fingerprints and photograph you, and then do the background check and if it is good - you get it. No going before anyone at all unless you were to need to appeal a denial.
    .45acpguy likes this.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    It was not horrible by any means. Michigan is a shall issue state, I don't see a need for a board but those are the rules.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    It was not horrible by any means.
    Didn't say it was. I just said that you shouldn't have to go through that step. That should not have to be there. But then again, we shouldn't have to go through almost all of what we do for CC.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I am in St. Clair Co.
    They mailed me mine.
    They got their poop in order.
    Macomb is still nostalgic when it comes to the permits, though you won't/shouldn't have any problems.

My brother, nephew & son have gone through the GB in Macomb.

If you have passed the background check, and all your paperwork is in order, and you are not a felon, or clinically insane, they will already have your permit there at the GB review.

They will ask you some questions.
    Answer them honestly, they have YOUR life in front of them.
    IF they ask why you feel you need a permit, your one AND only answer should be ,PERSONAL PROTECTION!
    Thats it, and then they give you the permit.
    Harryball likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

VIP Member
    Still don't understand the purpose of a review board in a shall issue state, other than to waste tax payers money.

I can see convening a board, say quarterly, to review denied permits that are being contested, but a board for reviewing all permit applications is a waste of time and money.
    accessbob and oneshot like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Still don't understand the purpose of a review board in a shall issue state, other than to waste tax payers money.

I can see convening a board, say quarterly, to review denied permits that are being contested, but a board for reviewing all permit applications is a waste of time and money.
    Well articulated.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

It's no big deal. More inconvienence than anything. I've heard there is a movement to disband the gun board but have not heard when. I think the gun board produces revenue for the county, so that's probably why it's still around. It is actually pretty interesting to sit through it. It will be you, the gun board and about 50 other CPL applicants. You get asked 6-7 questions. Answer truthfully, because they already know the answers. Everybody gets to hear everybody else's answers, which I found to be highly entertaining and occassionally comical. Especially when they got to the question 'have you ever been arrested?'. I was surprised by how many had (mainly for DUI's or possession as I recall). The good news is, if you've been invited to the gun board, then you've already been issued the CPL. You just need to show up, answer the questions, and at the end of the 60 second interview they hand you your CPL. Know these questions and answers:

LAID - Legally Armed In Detroit (Michigan CCW Classes): Seven Questions Michigan County Gun Boards Like To Ask CPL Applicants

"Seven Questions Michigan County Gun Boards Like To Ask CPL Applicants"

Question 1: Why Do You Want A CPL?
    The correct answer to this question is "Personal Protection." It is a truthful response to the question that is self-explanatory. Nothing else needs to be said. Any other response given by the CPL applicant to this question during a Gun Board appearance opens the door for further discussion and scrutiny of your motives.

Question 2: Do You Have Any Problems With Anybody?
    If you have not had any documented incidents with another person, the answer to this question is "No." A documented incident would include, but is not limited to, a 9-1-1 call and a Personal Protection Order. No one knows with any level of certainty if a particular "issue" or an incident with another person is serious enough to merit discussion at a Gun Board appearance. Moreover, if the circumstances was truly serious there would be some official documentation on file with the authorities.

Question 3: Have You Ever Been Arrested For A Felony?
    This question is obviously an interesting one to be asked during a Gun Board appearance because they are already informed as to the contents of your background. A felony conviction that has not been set-aside will disqualify an applicant for licensure. Every CPL applicant undergoes a rigorous criminal history check by the Federal Bureau of Investigations. Answer the question truthfully. Be mindful that an arrest is not the same thing as a conviction. A mere arrest does not disqualify an applicant for a CPL.

Question 4: Have You Ever Been Arrested For Anything Else?
    As mentioned before, a mere arrest is not grounds for a CPL rejection. Any arrest info in your background will show up during your criminal history check. Honestly answer the question - yes or no - and await their next question. Do not volunteer to share any info about your past that will serve to unnecessarily extend the time needed for your appearance before the Gun Board. The purpose of your appearance is not a popularity contest. You need only demonstrate that you meet CPL licensing requirements.

Question 5: Have You Ever Had A Mental Illness?
    Unless you have ever been officially diagnosed with "clinical depression" or another specified mental illness by a qualified mental health professional, the answer to the question is "No." Evidence of a mental illness condition is grounds for a CPL rejection. Please be mindful that there is a huge difference between "depression" and "clinical depression" and only qualified health pros can make that determination. Thus, a self-diagnosis of yourself as being "depressed" does not have any legal standing with regards to your qualification for a CPL.

Question 6: Is There A Current Protection Order Against You?
    Under federal law, the Lautenberg Amendment to the 1968 Gun Control Act, persons with an active Personal Protection Order (PPO) against them are forbidden from possessing a firearm. Thus, if you have an active PPO against you, your CPL application will be rejected. Curiously enough, the Gun Board should be aware of your status. Truthfully answer the question.

Question 7: Have You Ever Taken Out A PPO Against Someone?
    If you are asked this question, the County Gun Board is attempting to get you to reveal info about your lifestyle which may open up a line of questioning about your motives. Obviously, PPOs are recorded publicly; if you have ever taken a PPO out against another person, it is safe to assume that they know about it. Answer the question honestly, directly, and tersely. Unless asked, there is no need to deliver a speech as to your specific circumstances.

Bottom Line:
    Gun Board appearances as a part of the CPL licensing process is largely a symbolic gesture, as an applicant's qualifications can be readily determined from a criminal background check and a check of public records. If you have been notified of a pending pre-licensure appearance before a County Gun Board, you probably have been approved.

However, do not take your appearance lightly. Gun Boards still have the ability to not bestow CPLs to persons who may present a danger to themselves and other people. Thus, you should keep your responses short and on topic to any questions presented. If you successfully manage to not open up any unnecessary areas of your background and motives, your chances of having your application approved are enhanced. "
    oneshot likes this.

Forgot to mention, you only have to go in front of the gun board for the initial issuance, not for renewals. Unless you let your renewal lapse, then you start the process all over again. License is good for 5 years, so start the renewal process when you have about 6 months left on your CPL

Nick62 = Thanks for the sevens questions. Everything should go well based on those questions. I do agree that it seems a bit extraneous, but worth taking half a day off for.
    oneshot likes this.

Gun Board = Politician Power Trip...
    accessbob and .45acpguy like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

grnwdjsn check out this video of the Macomb Co. gun board. Easy peasy...

Your Macomb County Gun Board Appearance - YouTube

I just did mine in Bay County--Thursday, they ran us through all at the same time.

YGBSM.

I guess when they decided to stop reading the 2nd Ammendment, they figured it didn't make any sense to keep reading through the 5th.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links