SA while weedwacking

SA while weedwacking

This is a discussion on SA while weedwacking within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The title says it all. While I was weedwacking today I was thinking how severely my SA was impaired. I have a loud commercial grade ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: SA while weedwacking

SA while weedwacking

The title says it all. While I was weedwacking today I was thinking how severely my SA was impaired. I have a loud commercial grade echo weedwacker so I have to wear hearing protection and you kinda have to focus on what you are doing so you have your head down. Any ideas on how to improve SA?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmHP View Post
    Any ideas on how to improve SA?
    Invest in classes for psychic ability? But seriously, in that kind of situation I would think that the key is not focusing too long on any one thing. Not saying you have to look around every second but if you have your head down for several minutes at a time, it would impair one's ability to notice anyone coming up on you. That is still no guarantee that won't happen, but at least it would be an improvement. Maybe?
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    The hearing you can't do anything about. As far as keeping an eye on what's happening around you, glance up occasionally from the weed whacking. Granted your SA is not going to be as high as other times, but some things can't be avoided.

OR you can make the wife do the weed whacking while you stand gaurd.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Pay someone to do it for you while you sit in the shade with a ice tea in one hand and a pistol in the other. Other then that I can't think of anything. :)

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    OR you can make the wife do the weed whacking while you stand gaurd.
    Now that's a great idea. If I could only figure out a way for my wife to buy that one.
    carracer likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Well, if someone is dumb enough to try and attack me while I am weed whacking, they get to feel it run up their legs. OUCH!

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Well, if someone is dumb enough to try and attack me while I am weed whacking, they get to feel it run up their legs. OUCH!
    There has been a huge happening around Memphis here lately where people are breaking in while home owners are mowing not necessarily attacking the home owner. No sa, the thief sneaks into the back yard via wide open fence and walks into unlocked door.
    When I mow I keep doors locked and unlock them when I need to enter. Keep fence closed also. Open it to go in and out. And allllwwaayys got my little pf9 in my shorts pocket just in case.
    Sent from my DROID RAZR
    tcox4freedom likes this.

I mow lawns on the side for a small commercial lawn care company, and I've thought about this a lot, as I'm usually carrying when I'm working. When I'm using a trimmer, I've pretty much decided that if I get caught off guard the first line of defense will be the trimmer itself, just like smolck stated.

I wear ear-plugs that are conveniently embedded with headphones so I have my iPod going all day, so my SA is severely impacted. It cuts out just about all of the mower drone which means everything else. I would go mad without tunes all day and listening to the drone of a trimmer or mower, though. When I'm mowing (zero turn) I am always scanning, (mostly for rocks and pets) so I'd say the only good way to catch me off guard would be to come at my immediate rear and chase down the mower...highly unlikely unless it's a crazy ready to eat my face off. My seat has arm rests and everything so even if they knew I was carrying for some reason, it's a poor grab if they went for my firearm. I don't know of many people being robbed or beaten while mowing, but it can happen to anyone.

I was trying to come up with something sarcastic but my wit is failing me. How about:give me a break. Is there no activity we can do when we are not concerned about being attacked? I know life can be dangerous but really.

But if you are that concerned look up every now and then......get a few dogs.....
    wmhawth, MadMac, atctimmy and 1 others like this.

Easy: get a couple of those small helmet mirrors used by some bicyclists. Mount them on your hat. Then you can see them coming at you.

Don't like that? Here is one that helps keep tigers from sneaking up on you. Get a mask with a human face on it and wear it on the back of your head. Guys will think you are watching them and wait in vein until you turn your back.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

What do you do about your SA when you sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    What do you do about your SA when you sleep?
    I sleep in my gun safe

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Just like the song says;

Whack a little, scan a little
    Whack a little, scan a little
    First you scan, scan, and you whack
    Then you scan a little...
    Last edited by Hoganbeg; June 8th, 2012 at 11:21 PM.

Administrator
    Have you ever hit your bare legs with that spinning weed wacker?
    In fact I just did that last week when I was weed wacking a hill wearing short pants.
    It's like getting whipped 500 times in a second.
    I still have 200 scabby 3" lines etched into my left shin.

I'd crank that up high and go for the attackers face with the weed wacker. It gives you nice reach and sure would change the BGs mind in a big hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmHP View Post
    The title says it all. While I was weedwacking today I was thinking how severely my SA was impaired. I have a loud commercial grade echo weedwacker so I have to wear hearing protection and you kinda have to focus on what you are doing so you have your head down. Any ideas on how to improve SA?
    Spidey2011, Foo909, PM and 1 others like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I may have come across as paranoid, but I sure don't look paranoid when I'm working. My SA is primarily on the look out for stuff I could hit, like I mentioned, but it also helps me keep an eye on everything else. I can't really help it I guess...I'm really not worried at all when I'm mowing but every now and then I think about it. Especially the one lawn I mow that's probably 2.5 acres of grass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links