Carried for the first time-Perceptions vs. Reality

This is a discussion on Carried for the first time-Perceptions vs. Reality within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Remember,its your constitutional RIGHT to carry your firearm. You are a sheepdog,responsible,law abiding citizen. You'll get used to it....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Carried for the first time-Perceptions vs. Reality

Remember,its your constitutional RIGHT to carry your firearm. You are a sheepdog,responsible,law abiding citizen. You'll get used to it.
    The Old Anglo and ArmyMan like this.

2. Remove Ads

I appreciate all of the comments. I get stares a lot of stares and even more questions. I use to tell girls at the strip clubs I played for the Pistons practice squad hhaha . I am not a trained fighter, I haven't lost one defending myself in those situations. I tend to go the other way these days and say my sorrys - buy beers vs. that stuff. Anyways.....I went to Gander tonight and molested a couple of guns and let them see my the inside of my pocket. I wish they had a better selection of stuff.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I carry this every day and at 5'6" 145, it`s not a problem with an untucked shirt which is standard here in Florida. Winter time I carry my full size 1911 in a shoulder holster and a light jack over it. Nobody EVER notices. Works!.

a tighter fitting long plain white tshirt.
    I tend to wear looser clothing when I CCW. And I CCW everywhere I can.

Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    Remember,its your constitutional RIGHT to carry your firearm. You are a sheepdog,responsible,law abiding citizen. You'll get used to it.
    I hate that word
    Dadsnugun, tacman605 and MadMac like this.

I'm 6'4" and 230...and carry a Glock 23 everywhere I can...

I've spent more on good belts and XXL Hawaiian type shirts than holsters...

Get a couple of good belts and you will be very happy...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Congrats one the debut! Don't over think things and you'll feel more natural in no time. Try wearing an eye patch with a peace sign on it so other folks will have something to stare at instead of your carry piece. People only shoot themselves when cleaning their guns or showing them to friends.

I tend to agree with the belt comments also. When I first started carrying around the house (prior to WI law being passed), I simply wore a regular 1 1/2 belt that was way too thin to properly hold my Sig 229 with a M.T.A.C. Eventually I purchased a Comp-Tac reinforced belt and haven't had a problem since with being comfortable while carrying. The holster and mag carrier stay where they should and I don't have that "sagging" feeling because the belt also stays where it should.

However, when I finally did get my CCL, I could feel the weight on my hip and I felt like I was standing out. That passed now and I feel comfortable carrying whenever I can.

Usually perceived CC is more traumatic than actual carry the first few trips. Always good to remind yourself to ignore touching the weapon while doing CC. You are just drawing attention to something that most folks don't have a clue about. After about two weeks the feel goes away.(As long as you have GOOD holsters) I also recommend daily carry. Only exceptions are those proscribed by law.
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

Exactly! I first ventured out to Publix dressed in a loose fitting shirt and cargo shorts. I carried my Glock 23 in a IWB holster. My wife said she could not see it, but I saw myself as having a huge protuberance on my right side. I kept expecting someone to scream "He has a gun!" I tended to walk with my right arm pressed against my side to obscure the, to my mind, gigantic bulge. No one noticed or commented on the gun, but most folks probably thought I had had a stroke with residual right side weakness. I still don't carry with a chambered round, but I suppose this inhibition will eventually fade away.

I have carried guns of all sizes, subcompact to full size. Dress around the gun. Ensure that you're paying attention to your surroundings and protect the side that you're carrying. If someone gets too close, then address them as such. Pocket carry is not as fast unless your hand is already there.

I find the toughest place to conceal and still fell comfortable is a Flea Market where you're always bumping into people.

Most people debut their carry ensemble in a Walmart. I think The Flea Markets are tougher.

These days, I carry two pistols. A P238 and a primary.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    I think a good belt is more important for comfort and drawing reliability than the holster itself. Get a good gun belt that uses all metal hardware , ideally a 100% brass and riveted. Look for a 2 piece , belt double stitched with a reinforcement material in the center. This prevents twisting and stops the curling often seen with cheap belts. A good belt can be worn every day, gun or not and last decades. A great investment IMO. Remember too, that proper fit is such that the cinch point is mid range. This allows a double stack IWB holster to fit comfortably Sent from my 300 baud modem
    Same goes for we ladies if we are going to use a purse at times. Don't skimp on it. I have had a excellent one for several years now. Still looks great and fills the bill. I don't use it all the time, like when I carry on my person and use a regular purse, but there are times that a purse carry is the only way for me to go. Hubby paid a "pretty penny" for it, but well worth it. Quality in carry accessories (belts, holsters, purses ect) is worth the expense.
    QKShooter and Fitch like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Administrator
    Let me reaffirm the great replies above. Buy a good high quality gun belt. Don't skimp on the holster. Resist the temptation to fiddle and fidget with your firearm.

Actually I fell right into it. Back when I got my LTCC it was before PA was Shall Issue. PA was "May Issue" upon determination by the County Sheriff & he shopped at the same same local gun store that I shopped at....so that all went like a "box of birds" when he signed off on me & I already had a good gun belt and a great OWB holster.
    I have been carrying everywhere I could legally carry since Day 1 when I legally could.
    Many renewals later I still carry every day.
    Every day I put on clean underwear - clean socks - a clean T-Shirt and a clean gun.

I don't know about everyone else but when I concealed carried for the first time I felt like all eyes were on me. I believe it's perfectly normal to feel that way until you feel comfortable about carrying your sidearm everywhere. In my opinion it's a natural response.
    ArmyMan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ramitupurs84 View Post
    Well I received my permit on Thursday. I had been walking around the house for the past month concealed with my pistol unloaded. I chose a comfort tuk IWB hybrid holster for my SA XDM 9MM service. Wearing it at 4-5 o'clock. I thought I would work my way into it, i.e. conceal it un-loaded and go loaded once I was comfortable with the whole premise of it. Well I said screw it, I will wear it loaded to Subway. I wore cargo shorts and a tighter fitting long plain white tshirt. I wore a dockers leather belt that I wore for work. Carrying in MI.

First thing I was immediately concern with shooting myself when I sat in the car. I knew better, but this is my first time carrying a loaded firearm and trying to conceal it. Once I got over that I was fine. It was much heavier with 15 rounds of gold sabres in it. I know I need a good belt given this. I gave myself a check in the car window before I went in. I felt like everyone was looking at me, lol. They usually do, I'm 6'7'' and 3 bills. Not sure why I picked up on the glare today. I also noticed myself favoring the side of carry trying to turn my self to keep it out of view. Not sure why I was doing this. I noticed myself a lot more comfortable with the whole concept by the time I left.

So I think I confirmed I need something smaller for pocket carry, I think I need a good belt and I shouldn't be so paranoid as I live in a open carry state.

Pretty close to your first time?
    Years ago I denounced Smith & Wesson when they sold out to the Clinton administration's lawsuit against the firearms industry;
    Sell-Out Worse Than Originally Reported

However, while shopping for a first CCW pistol long ago, I was hung up between a Glock 23 and some Ruger I don't even recall. I had asked the salesman for his card and was about to walk away when his coworker mentioned some revolver in the used weapon case I might be interested in. I thought sure, why not, I'll have a look.

38+P1.jpg

It was love at first sight.

A double-action-only .38cal+P, very light, extremely concealable for. A little paperwork and a quick stop by the cash register and she was mine. I went straight to the range and put a few boxes of 128 & 158grain ball through her. She's only good at near point-blank range, but that's what I was looking for.

Here are the 2 basic loads I use today:

loads1.jpg

On the right is my practice load: Blazer .38 Special 158 Grain Round Nose Lead 50 Per Box
    At $18 per box, this is what I through away at the range.

On the left is my carry load: 65883 - Ammo .38 Special +P Federal Premium Hydra-Shok Jacketed Hollow Point 129 Grain 20 Round Box
    This round has the right balance of stopping power and reduced chance of over penetration.

Of course, I had to treat her right, and what lady refuses jewelry?

(CCW badge with my permit number engraved)
    badge.jpg

Yes I'm partial, but I think she looks gorgeous with it...

DaPoPo.jpg
    Last edited by ArmyMan; July 25th, 2012 at 06:05 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links