Carried for the first time-Perceptions vs. Reality - Page 3

Carried for the first time-Perceptions vs. Reality

This is a discussion on Carried for the first time-Perceptions vs. Reality within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here are some additional pics of my carrying the AirWeight in the front pocket: ccw1.jpg ccw2.jpg ccw3.jpg ccw4.jpg ccw5.jpg My buddy back home tells me ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Carried for the first time-Perceptions vs. Reality

Here are some additional pics of my carrying the AirWeight in the front pocket:

ccw1.jpg ccw2.jpg ccw3.jpg ccw4.jpg ccw5.jpg

My buddy back home tells me Cabella's sells a version of this pistol which is chambered 357Mag, with the CrimsonTrace laser grip. I'm a sucker for the laser grip, I only wish they were sold with the green laser.

Anyway, I love this little pistol. It's absolutely perfect for carrying when I really don't want someone to know, like when I'm watching my father's foster kids or am dressed for a nice dinner or other event. The pistol is light and small, yet very comfortable in the hand allowing the whole hand to grip.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ramitupurs84 View Post
    Well I received my permit on Thursday. I had been walking around the house for the past month concealed with my pistol unloaded. I chose a comfort tuk IWB hybrid holster for my SA XDM 9MM service. Wearing it at 4-5 o'clock. I thought I would work my way into it, i.e. conceal it un-loaded and go loaded once I was comfortable with the whole premise of it. Well I said screw it, I will wear it loaded to Subway. I wore cargo shorts and a tighter fitting long plain white tshirt. I wore a dockers leather belt that I wore for work. Carrying in MI.

First thing I was immediately concern with shooting myself when I sat in the car. I knew better, but this is my first time carrying a loaded firearm and trying to conceal it. Once I got over that I was fine. It was much heavier with 15 rounds of gold sabres in it. I know I need a good belt given this. I gave myself a check in the car window before I went in. I felt like everyone was looking at me, lol. They usually do, I'm 6'7'' and 3 bills. Not sure why I picked up on the glare today. I also noticed myself favoring the side of carry trying to turn my self to keep it out of view. Not sure why I was doing this. I noticed myself a lot more comfortable with the whole concept by the time I left.

So I think I confirmed I need something smaller for pocket carry, I think I need a good belt and I shouldn't be so paranoid as I live in a open carry state.

Pretty close to your first time?
    Well done.

I carried around the house first. In fact if a person is going to carry anyplace, around the house is the place.

Your feelings and perceptions were perfectly normal. Happens to us all.

Some excellent advice in this thread. Couple of comments:
    • Do not get a concealed carry "Badge".
    • Carry in a holster, always.
    • A purpose made gun belt is more benefit that one would ever suspect because it won't stretch. I resisted for years. Big mistake, huge. You will have to order online. Follow the manufacturer's directions exactly for establishing the size.
    • A pocket carry gun is a good idea for summer. With your size it should be no problem. At my size, 5'-8"/168 lbs, I have to shop for pants with pockets deep enough to hide the P238 or LCP. Try BassPro comfort fit or loose fit jeans as a place to start. I take my pocket carry gun with me to the store, unloaded because it will be handled a lot, and try it in the pants pockets to make sure it works.
    • There are a lot of good holsters out there. My favorite holster is all leather (Milt Sparks VersaMax-II) because it is so comfortable at 3:00 under a sweatshirt for winter carry. But I also have a SuperTuck for each commonly carried gun because it is adjustable for best fit at 4:00 to 5:00 which works for summer carry under an untucked t-shirt.
    • Shirts with random patterns work best. Plain very dark, Navy or black, shirts are next best. Plan or stripes act like contour lines.
    Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Distinguished Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Even after years of carrying a CCW I still get nervous now and then......If your not worried your not being careful enough IMO
    I do not take for granted that my CCW is a killing machine and one stupid mistake can cause harm to me or others,never too careful
    GH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    Well done.

I carried around the house first. In fact if a person is going to carry anyplace, around the house is the place.

Your feelings and perceptions were perfectly normal. Happens to us all.

Some excellent advice in this thread. Couple of comments:
    • Do not get a concealed carry "Badge".
    • Carry in a holster, always.
    • A purpose made gun belt is more benefit that one would ever suspect because it won't stretch. I resisted for years. Big mistake, huge. You will have to order online. Follow the manufacturer's directions exactly for establishing the size.
    • A pocket carry gun is a good idea for summer. With your size it should be no problem. At my size, 5'-8"/168 lbs, I have to shop for pants with pockets deep enough to hide the P238 or LCP. Try BassPro comfort fit or loose fit jeans as a place to start. I take my pocket carry gun with me to the store, unloaded because it will be handled a lot, and try it in the pants pockets to make sure it works.
    • There are a lot of good holsters out there. My favorite holster is all leather (Milt Sparks VersaMax-II) because it is so comfortable at 3:00 under a sweatshirt for winter carry. But I also have a SuperTuck for each commonly carried gun because it is adjustable for best fit at 4:00 to 5:00 which works for summer carry under an untucked t-shirt.
    • Shirts with random patterns work best. Plain very dark, Navy or black, shirts are next best. Plan or stripes act like contour lines.
    Fitch
    I was in a military surplus store buying uniform pieces and window shopped the front display case. When I saw the CCW badge, I had to have it. I guess it's just the gear-queer in me. I took it down town and had my permit number engraved in the spot on the badge made for such a number. It's just a cool thing to have.

Yes I wear it once in a great while, it might be a quick and easy way to be identified as one of the good-guys, aka not the criminal, should something happen.

The main reason, though, is to help people not stress out when they see someone with a gun on the hip. It's all about helping them associate with the gun in a positive way. If they see a badge next to a gun then they assume legitimacy and relax.

I understand your concern over a badge, though. One would never want to be mistaken as a cop, or give people the impression that you're identifying yourself as a cop, even-though several different kinds of professions have badges and are not law-enforcement.

Try this instead: If you're in the military, or retired, put your branch logo on the holster. When people see my holster the US Army logo catches the eye, and the same associating-with-legitimacy effect occurs. In their eyes I'm no longer some random dork with a gun, I'm now a trained professional.

To those not in the service, try using another public logo which you actually are associated with. Folks will see a logo and assume legitimacy. Obviously some logos would be more appropriate than others. If your a student in Colorado, the state university logo may work since students can carry on campus in that state. Use a sticker or decal instead of printing the logo directly onto the holster, though, so you don't accidentely brake a copy-write law.

OOOoooo.. You just opened a whole can o' worms....
    Not going to be a victim anymore.

OMG...
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by catt101 View Post
    OOOoooo.. You just opened a whole can o' worms....
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    OMG...
    I don't understand why the topic of owning a CCW badge would be a negative topic to brush upon. I apologize if I've offended anyone, it wasn't intentional.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    I don't understand why the topic of owning a CCW badge would be a negative topic to brush upon. I apologize if I've offended anyone, it wasn't intentional.
    Concealed means concealed. Period. Concealed means nothing shows, ever, that would lead anyone to think you have a gun. No logo on a holster. No badge. No NOTHING.

If anybody can see your holster you are flunking concealed carry. If anyone can see the stupid badge, you are flunking concealed carry. Keep the gun out of sight.

When you boil it all down, looking at your rationale, the logo, badge, etc. are all to imply an authority you don't have to make people comfortable because they can see the gun you ought to have hidden. Any badge you wear not issued by a government agency is mis-representing yourself as an agent of a badge issuing authority.

Big mistake. Huge. Keep the gun out of sight. Period.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    Concealed means concealed. Period. Concealed means nothing shows, ever, that would lead anyone to think you have a gun. No logo on a holster. No badge. No NOTHING.

If anybody can see your holster you are flunking concealed carry. If anyone can see the stupid badge, you are flunking concealed carry. Keep the gun out of sight.

When you boil it all down, looking at your rationale, the logo, badge, etc. are all to imply an authority you don't have to make people comfortable because they can see the gun you ought to have hidden. Any badge you wear not issued by a government agency is mis-representing yourself as an agent of a badge issuing authority.

Big mistake. Huge. Keep the gun out of sight. Period.

Fitch
    I only carry concealed, so calm down.

Sometimes one has to move the shirt/sweater/jacket a bit in order to get into a front pocket to retrieve a wallet. Sometimes a person's shirt/sweater/jacket will move around a bit while playing with their kids at the park. I personally uncover my pistol completely while driving, and re-cover it when I get out.

That's the sort of way a couple people have noticed my Springfield on my belt before. The idea is, should someone spot the pistol in this way, that they would also see the badge/logo and remain calm. My gun isn't going to jump out of the holster and start shooting people, but some folks are...less rational, than others.

I don't carry open at all, I certainly don't carry open with a badge or anything else, and I never intended to state or imply such. Since the premise of this forum is concealed carry, I didn't think I had to explicitly state it.

This is going to be good....

Popcorn.jpg
    ArmyMan likes this.

You didn't offend me at all. No apology needed for me... I have just seen some of the other threads addressing the "badge " issue..
    Not going to be a victim anymore.

You have a "She" gun who enjoys jewelry... and you buy jewelry for "her" in the form of a badge? Really?

Here's what jewelry for guns looks like... and if you wear this, everybody will truly remain "calm..." 'Cause they won't believe it for a minute...
    rhinestonegunbelt.jpg

And it's no more ostentatious than the "ahem" badge (which, if I were you, I would lose and chalk up as a bad investment)...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

CJM
    I think everyone feels the imaginary "I'm carrying a gun, and this is my first time in public with it" sign. It goes away. The only time people get spotted carrying is when they've done a poor job at concealment. Tight fitting tshirts and duty sized guns carried OWB is an example of that. Even then, some would not notice. A slight assymetrical shape due to the gun does not scream gun to people who don't carry and aren't into guns. We, as gun folk, may pick up on it, mostly because we know what and where to look for. I carry a full size gun OWB, and I wear shirts that fit while still allowing proper concealment. Does it print? If I turn or bend in certain ways yes it will print a little. But it is indistinguishable to the naked eye under normal walking, standing, and sitting movements.

A gun belt is more important than the holster. You can make a mediocre or lower quality holster work if carried on a gun belt, but the finest holster in the world will still offer substandard carrying comfort and stability if worn on a Walmart/JCPenny/Filson type department store belts.

The only time I've carried in condition 3 was right after I got my permit and didn't yet have a holster for the gun, ala' mexican carry. From then on, always chambered, always in a holster, always on a belt purposely made for supporting a gun.

Avoid CCW badges and other novelty items that serve no actual purpose, and aren't recognized as a form of proper identification outside of Mall Ninja clubs and ComicCon.

To the OP: your feelings are totally normal.

This site can be one of your best assets all along your CCW journey...

So much good info here; and most of it is from experience.

So don't forget can be your best friend.

As to the other issue, please read up on the CCW badge/sash thread to get the core of the reasons why this is generally frowned upon here.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...hl-badges.html
    Last edited by kerberos; July 27th, 2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: added link
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links