Carried for the first time-Perceptions vs. Reality

This is a discussion on Carried for the first time-Perceptions vs. Reality within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I received my permit on Thursday. I had been walking around the house for the past month concealed with my pistol unloaded. I chose ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Carried for the first time-Perceptions vs. Reality

Carried for the first time-Perceptions vs. Reality

Well I received my permit on Thursday. I had been walking around the house for the past month concealed with my pistol unloaded. I chose a comfort tuk IWB hybrid holster for my SA XDM 9MM service. Wearing it at 4-5 o'clock. I thought I would work my way into it, i.e. conceal it un-loaded and go loaded once I was comfortable with the whole premise of it. Well I said screw it, I will wear it loaded to Subway. I wore cargo shorts and a tighter fitting long plain white tshirt. I wore a dockers leather belt that I wore for work. Carrying in MI.

First thing I was immediately concern with shooting myself when I sat in the car. I knew better, but this is my first time carrying a loaded firearm and trying to conceal it. Once I got over that I was fine. It was much heavier with 15 rounds of gold sabres in it. I know I need a good belt given this. I gave myself a check in the car window before I went in. I felt like everyone was looking at me, lol. They usually do, I'm 6'7'' and 3 bills. Not sure why I picked up on the glare today. I also noticed myself favoring the side of carry trying to turn my self to keep it out of view. Not sure why I was doing this. I noticed myself a lot more comfortable with the whole concept by the time I left.

So I think I confirmed I need something smaller for pocket carry, I think I need a good belt and I shouldn't be so paranoid as I live in a open carry state.

Pretty close to your first time?
    ArmyMan likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Not really. I was chambered and ready to go from day 1. But everyone has their own pace. Best to be comfortable with what you are doing. Confidence is key. You are right on by getting a good belt. It can make all the difference in the world. Dont be frustrated if you need to experiment with a few different holsters before you find one that works for you. I usually go through 3 or 4 before I find one that I like. Congrats, and welcome!

A good belt makes all the difference. The rest will go away with some time.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

A good belt is a definite.

My first time I just worried about other folks seeing the gun. I've now realized that most people have no clue and are oblivious to anything but themselves.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

I hear 'ya, especially with the worry about sitting on it and moving around so as to avoid that hip being exposed. For a few weeks I felt like I had "I've got a gun" stamped on my forehead, but it goes away. Now I forget I have it on me

Use this time to read up on the laws in your state and can I make a quote from Massad Ayoob

“The power of a gun is never ignored, no matter how accustomed one becomes to the weight on his hip. A man carrying a gun for the first time is acutely, even uncomfortable aware of its presents. After a time, he ceases to notice both the weight and the responsibility not because he has forgot then them but because they have both assimilated into his bearing and demeanor”

From his book “in gravest extreme” chapter 11 under discretion

I think it's a common concern and partly due to the "newness" of it. Until yesterday I did not have my holster so the few times I've been out since receiving my license, I've just tucked it down inside my pants with the overhang of my loose heavy tee shirt on the outside. I feel like I walked "funny" and tried to "get over it" and soon I did feel I was acting more natural. Funny how that "acting natural" is the hardest thing to do when you're actually working at and conscious of it. Kinda reminds me of a story and my experience in a mental health hospital many years ago, but I digress.

I started carrying mine at about the 4 o'clock position but I kept feeling like the butt was sticking out in a huge bump from my side. Well I don't think that it was, but I felt like it probably was. Just that consciousness of the presence. Later I moved it to 3 o'clock and for me at least, and my gun (a CZ82) I think that is going to work out the best. The grip lays more flat against my body and gives me less of a feeling of it sticking out.

Now, on the belt thing. Many posts suggest "get a good belt". What defines a good belt? As opposed to a bad belt. I wear a couple different ones. For jeans and jean shorts, the belt is a little wider. It is something of a western style. It's sturdy enough, leather and so to me it ought to be a good belt. For more dress, (business casual Dockers style) the belt I use most often is similar in size to the jeans belt. In both cases these belts give good support and are strong enough to hold things in place.

So what other characteristics in a belt should I look for?
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Use this time to read up on the laws in your state and can I make a quote from Massad Ayoob

“The power of a gun is never ignored, no matter how accustomed one becomes to the weight on his hip. A man carrying a gun for the first time is acutely, even uncomfortable aware of its presents. After a time, he ceases to notice both the weight and the responsibility not because he has forgot then them but because they have both assimilated into his bearing and demeanor”

From his book “in gravest extreme” chapter 11 under discretion
    The state gives us the laws on a CD for our viewing, we are required by law to take a class. Not a know it all.

I think a good belt is more important for comfort and drawing reliability than the holster itself. Get a good gun belt that uses all metal hardware , ideally a 100% brass and riveted. Look for a 2 piece , belt double stitched with a reinforcement material in the center. This prevents twisting and stops the curling often seen with cheap belts. A good belt can be worn every day, gun or not and last decades. A great investment IMO. Remember too, that proper fit is such that the cinch point is mid range. This allows a double stack IWB holster to fit comfortably

Sent from my 300 baud modem

Quote Originally Posted by ramitupurs84 View Post
    I'm 6'7'' and 3 bills.....
    So I think I confirmed I need something smaller for pocket carry, I think I need a good belt and I shouldn't be so paranoid as I live in a open carry state....
    What? Something smaller? I think you could make an AR disappear on you! I am a "big" boy without your height! I am glad you carried, but my gut tells your staring "down" any BG would be enough to deter them.

No matter a person’s stature, carrying for the first time is a little nerve racking. Suddenly you think everyone has x-ray vision, can read minds, and you’re suddenly the center of everyone’s undesired attention. It is a reflection of the imprint that society has left on us. It will go away, and someday you will feel naked without it, and will think everyone is looking at you funny when you don’t have it on you.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by ramitupurs84 View Post
    Well I received my permit on Thursday. I had been walking around the house for the past month concealed with my pistol unloaded. I chose a comfort tuk IWB hybrid holster for my SA XDM 9MM service. Wearing it at 4-5 o'clock. I thought I would work my way into it, i.e. conceal it un-loaded and go loaded once I was comfortable with the whole premise of it. Well I said screw it, I will wear it loaded to Subway. I wore cargo shorts and a tighter fitting long plain white tshirt. I wore a dockers leather belt that I wore for work. Carrying in MI.

First thing I was immediately concern with shooting myself when I sat in the car. I knew better, but this is my first time carrying a loaded firearm and trying to conceal it. Once I got over that I was fine. It was much heavier with 15 rounds of gold sabres in it. I know I need a good belt given this. I gave myself a check in the car window before I went in. I felt like everyone was looking at me, lol. They usually do, I'm 6'7'' and 3 bills. Not sure why I picked up on the glare today. I also noticed myself favoring the side of carry trying to turn my self to keep it out of view. Not sure why I was doing this. I noticed myself a lot more comfortable with the whole concept by the time I left.

So I think I confirmed I need something smaller for pocket carry, I think I need a good belt and I shouldn't be so paranoid as I live in a open carry state.

Pretty close to your first time?
    I open carried this today and no one gave me a second look. Don't worry about it, most people won't notice if you print, even if you think it's horribly obvious.

DUSTYNEVADA likes this.

It get's easier, don't sweat it. Loose, dark colored shirts will serve you much better. Large patterns also help; stripes, not so much. Bend at the knees, not waist, to reach down for stuff. Reach up for stuff with your support hand. +1 on a stiff belt.
    Fitch likes this.

6ft 7in and 300lbs, need not much gun you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ram Rod likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Kentucky is a CC and an OC state. I CC but I never worry about if I print or not. Some times I OC and have never had anyone say anything to me about it.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    My wife will tell me if I'm printing from time to time. But, I usually carry a full size 1911 at 330-4, with a forward cant on it. Don't use anything special, just a cheap Blackhawk 'Size 3' cloth holster. I feel the occasional 'strong look', but I just let my arms move naturally (and use the opportunity to make sure my cover shirt is actually covering), and smile back.

My .357mag I use a 'Revolver' holster from N82 Tactical IWB. The holster and the gun both sit very low- so just the grip is above my waistline, and it never prints. The only reason my wife knows it's there is because she sees me put it on and so knows where to look.

If you're looking for a good IWB holster, take a look at http://n82tactical.com/n82store/. Great quality stuff, and good pricing- all the 'good' holsters I typically hear about are $100 +/-

And, I'm not much smaller than you- 6'2", 320.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links