Gun shop denying RKBA

This is a discussion on Gun shop denying RKBA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My local indoor range has a sign than "ALL FIREARMS MUST BE IN A CASE OR HOLSTERED". That's fine with me....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Gun shop denying RKBA

My local indoor range has a sign than "ALL FIREARMS MUST BE IN A CASE OR HOLSTERED".

That's fine with me.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

2. Remove Ads

It's not that uncommon for gun shops to have signs like that, as far as I've seen. They aren't really trying to hinder your rights, like BugDude said they just don't want idiots dangerously pulling out a loaded firearm. I've seen what people do with their carry weapons at the range and it's not only frightening but it blows the mind sometimes how they haven't shot someone accidentally yet, which is why many ranges don't allow firing guns that are carried on the person. I've often walked in gun shops with those signs carrying a loaded gun knowing I won't be drawing it for any reason because the owners don't really care. If I'm visiting for a need for that particular weapon, I'll unload it and bring it in a case like the sign requests.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I Always Carry and Never Tell...the signs can just bite me!.

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
    I'm visiting family in Sanford, Florida and walked over to Al's Army Navy, a mil surplus and gun store. The front door says they offer CCW classes, too.

A sign on the front door saidto unload all firearms (my concealed handgun) and open the chamber before entering. First, it was clear I wouldn't be spending any money there. Second, I wasn't about to be handling a handgun standing out in public along a busy main street. Florida doesn't even allow open carry, unlike back home in Virginia. I could just picture me being picked up and spending my vacation in the Sanford jail!

I sent Al's a polite e-mail telling why I won't be seeing them.
    I live in Sanford and occasionally go to Al's. I never remove my concealed carry. They have never asked and I never tell. Like others have stated, I'm sure it is meant for those who would be trading a weapon or purchasing accessories, etc. It would be illegal to draw a loaded concealed carry weapon to conduct business. They have a similar sign at the local Gander Mountain but it has wording specifically addressing those using guns at their range, gunsmith, etc.

Poorly worded sign

Hello all,
    I work at the store in question, and I can assure you all that it DOES NOT apply to those with a permit to carry. It is intended for those openly carrying guns into the store for repair, questions, holsters, ect. My apologies to whomever was offended, and rest easy because the sign is being reworded today.

Your RKBA has nothing to do with a private business. It's a limitation on the government, not a private business.

You can stow the faux outrage.
    Hopyard and bigmacque like this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    I CALLED AL'S and they said that its ok for a ccw to come in armed. if your gonna try for a holster to fit the gun than please
    bring it in the store unloaded.

this is fairly standard practice at the gun stores ive been in and is good safety.

is it possible the sign was mis read or poorly wordered?

------->now i see post #20....
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    That sign isn't meant for you... it's meant for the 75% of the population that are idiots.

As said, it's more directed at people bringing in guns for trade/repair that more than likely the owner has forgotten to clear.... or to keep from people unholstering their ccw and waving it around. It happens, I've seen it, and there's holes in the walls to prove it.

Be safe.
    There's that and also following along with local laws, and having a shop and liability insurance. I know it's not ideally right for a gun shop to disallow the first amendment and all of those who have the rights to exercise the fact. Just that I can see the red tape and corporate aspect of things when it comes down to things like this. Like stated previously..........when you disagree.......don't give them your business. Everyone has to go through a learning experience before issues show up on the bottom line. Boycotts work IMO.....the customer always used to be right, but things have changed. Tell me that Obama used to be president and that things are gonna change.
    GunGeezer and GH like this.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Both indoor ranges, and all 3 local gun shops I have been to in the Richmond,Va area all have those.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I had a store owner tell me one time that he has had multiple gun owners walk in a store holding their pistol in thier hand as they walk in.

Is the store owner supposed to know if he is about to be robbed, or does someone want to sell a gun?

Sometimes it might be hard to tell which is happening.

A sign at least would make the legitimate ( but non educated) seller put the gun away
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKSROCK View Post
    Hello all,
    I work at the store in question, and I can assure you all that it DOES NOT apply to those with a permit to carry. It is intended for those openly carrying guns into the store for repair, questions, holsters, ect. My apologies to whomever was offended, and rest easy because the sign is being reworded today.
    That's customer service. Thanks for the update.
    atctimmy and accessbob like this.

Hello all,
    Cool!!! I'm interested in the new wording purely so I might suggest something similar to my local shop. The owner of the shop I frequent told me that he has observed my gun handling in the store and range and is comfortable with me carrying as long as it stays holstered.

Would it be something to the effect "All legally carried loaded firearms must remain holstered, otherwise they must be unloaded"?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

That's why I like the Texas 30.06 signs. If the sign is at the entrance: no carry. No sign: carry. But a properly worded sign would take away a lot of confusion in this situation.

Update on my sign

The sign now reads .. "Those with handgun permits please keep firearm holstered. All others must unload before entering."
    once again sorry for the confusion.
    MadMac, TVille, Ogre and 6 others like this.

Hello all,
    The sign now reads .. "Those with handgun permits please keep firearm holstered. All others must unload before entering."
    once again sorry for the confusion.
    To GLOCKSROCK: Thanks for responding and thanks also to the owner for having the sign's wording clarified. I will stop in the next time I'm visiting family in Sanford.

I don't have any "faux outrage", but I do have concerns when things are done incorrectly or worded in such a way as to give a wrong impression. Being a technical writer, I'm more sensitive to the way things are written and how oftentimes they don't say what was intended. One poster mentioned the signs at Gander Mountain that specify when firearms are to be unloaded and cased, as well as permit holders being exempt (but keeping the weapon holstered, of course.) Whatever the policy is, I expect to be able to discern it immediately from reading the signs that the owner took the time and expense to post. Then I can make up my mind on how to proceed. Just tryin' to do the right thing.
    atctimmy, Penhall and msgt/ret like this.
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links