Gun shop denying RKBA

This is a discussion on Gun shop denying RKBA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by woodstock To GLOCKSROCK: Thanks for responding and thanks also to the owner for having the sign's wording clarified. I will stop in ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Gun shop denying RKBA

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
    To GLOCKSROCK: Thanks for responding and thanks also to the owner for having the sign's wording clarified. I will stop in the next time I'm visiting family in Sanford.

I don't have any "faux outrage", but I do have concerns when things are done incorrectly or worded in such a way as to give a wrong impression. Being a technical writer, I'm more sensitive to the way things are written and how oftentimes they don't say what was intended. One poster mentioned the signs at Gander Mountain that specify when firearms are to be unloaded and cased, as well as permit holders being exempt (but keeping the weapon holstered, of course.) Whatever the policy is, I expect to be able to discern it immediately from reading the signs that the owner took the time and expense to post. Then I can make up my mind on how to proceed. Just tryin' to do the right thing.
    If you're concerned about statements being worded to give the incorrect impression, you should police your thread title. The RKBA is enshrined in the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America. It has NOTHING to do with gun shops or any other private business. Your thread title was worded to give the impression the gun shop owner was somehow guilty of "denying your RKBA". That's not even in the realm of accurate.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I like this thread.....and I love a happy ending.
    accessbob likes this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

There is a goofball in my town who routinely feels the need to unholster and display his carry gun(s) to anyone who seems interested while hanging out in a gun shop I frequent. Of course they are always loaded, as is to be expected of a carry gun. He is "that guy" and anyone who spends 30 seconds talking to him will discover that. He is also a CCW instructor and claims to be a former LEO (though I have heard some interesting stories about why he is a former LEO. Signs like the one the OP described are made for him.
    mprp likes this.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I like this thread.....and I love a happy ending.
    I-love-when-a-plan-comes-together.gif

Your post made me think of this,...sorry couldn't resist. hah.
    atctimmy likes this.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

What's that old saying, "All's well that ends well."
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I forgot to ask if it was directed at people bringing guns in for service/trade or for everyone but I saw this sign on the door of Bud's Gun Shop in Lexington KY this morning.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    I forgot to ask if it was directed at people bringing guns in for service/trade or for everyone but I saw this sign on the door of Bud's Gun Shop in Lexington KY this morning.
    It's usually directed at people carrying firearms in for service. If you walk in with a concealed or open carried (local laws permitting) weapon I suspect the sign is not directed at you.

A lgs here has a similar sign, but with the caveat that it does not apply to ccw permit holders.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    If you (the OP ) think that practice is denying RKBA, you are somewhat confused as to the legal nature of RKBA.
    The gun shop is private property. The decision about what occurs on their property is not one made by
    either Federal, State or local government. Hence, the word "right" or the word "rights" don't really apply in the typical
    way they are used unless a specific law confers such rights upon you.

Don't shop there if their policy offends you. Heck, its a gun store. Do you really think they are opposed to RKBA?
    I think it takes a huge leap of imagination to reach that conclusion.
    What hopyard says.

Also, it's my understanding that there is no such thing as "Posting against CCW" in FL at least as far as private businesses open to the public are concerned. Is this correct?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePontificator View Post
    What hopyard says.

Also, it's my understanding that there is no such thing as "Posting against CCW" in FL at least as far as private businesses open to the public are concerned. Is this correct?
    Signs in FL carry no legal weight, are only indicative of the owner's attitude. However, if asked to leave, refusing to do so is feloney trespassing--not cool.

I'll respect the rights of any business to request I not carry in their store as long as they can respect my right to spend my money elsewhere. I think that's a fair tradeoff.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Most here communicate it's ok to CC while in the store, as long as it never leaves the holster.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Most here communicate it's ok to CC while in the store, as long as it never leaves the holster.

When I shoot at the range, I always have a gun on, that I don't plan to shoot while I"m there.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    It may be that their insurance company requires the signs to be posted to keep the cost of his proffessional liability insurance down. To those companys,loaded firearms in the store,around other customers means $$$$$$$$$$ to them. Just a thought.
    Insurance company's do not make such demands, businesses use insurance as an excuse but it has nothing to do with it.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

The range I frequent is owned and operated by the state parks commission. When I recently dropped by for a ballistic therapy session, the park official saw my CWP when I removed my DL and asked if I was carrying, because if so I'd have to either leave it in the holster or return to the car, unload, and bring it into the range area in my bag. He explained that they don't mind concealed carry, but had experienced too many problems with idjits unsafely handling loaded weapons on the line. That seems fair and appropriate to me, but it was a moot point since I had already done all the necessary preparation in the car. +1 to the SC Parks Commission for a sane and reasonable policy.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

I've carried (concealed, in FL of course) while shopping at Al's numerous times. The sign is probably for weapons being shipped for repair or transfer.

Al's is a good, family owned business. I've done business with them for years.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links