Defensive Carry banner

Gun shop denying RKBA

7K views 52 replies 42 participants last post by  minimalbrat 
#1 ·
I'm visiting family in Sanford, Florida and walked over to Al's Army Navy, a mil surplus and gun store. The front door says they offer CCW classes, too.

A sign on the front door saidto unload all firearms (my concealed handgun) and open the chamber before entering. First, it was clear I wouldn't be spending any money there. Second, I wasn't about to be handling a handgun standing out in public along a busy main street. Florida doesn't even allow open carry, unlike back home in Virginia. I could just picture me being picked up and spending my vacation in the Sanford jail!

I sent Al's a polite e-mail telling why I won't be seeing them.

#2 ·
I went to Shooters Choice in West Columbia SC Friday looking for a IWB holster like Troy makes to get a feel for what I'm about to spend for his holsters. I got a SETH's holster hand made in Columbia. I wanted to try it on with my G32, I was carring it in an Intruder. We went to the counter & lifted my shirt on the main floor & hand my gun to the clerk. He unloads it & holds my clip & I put on the new holster & wore it around the store for 15min. I said; I'll take it, got a few other things & he hands my clip back & out the door I go.

#4 ·
Alas, many gun shops (especially big name ones) have a similar signage. Pawn shops are particularly prone to do so. I asked about it once, seems that is only for those weapons being brought in for repair/modification and such, anything that may have the firearm out in the open and being handled by the customer and/or employee. AFAIK a holstered firearm does not need to be unloaded whether concealed or open carried. They just don't want a loaded firearm IN THE OPEN, i.e. no waving your personal carry weapon around.

#5 ·
I use to frequent several gun shops back in Virginia that I witnessed outrageous displays of gun mishandling by patrons whipping out their CCW to try out holsters, show it to store personnel, etc. One shop kept warning a guy and finally told him to leave and not come back until he learned safe gun handling skills. After what I witnessed there, I can't really blame shops for doing this anymore. The place I frequent here (gun store and range) posted a sign not long ago that says absolutely no loaded weapons for the same reason. I talked to the owner and he told me as long as I kept my CCW in its holster and concealed, I was fine. He said too many idiots started coming in there and whipping out their loaded weapons for one reason or another.

#51 ·
This is the way it is at ATP gunshop in Summerville, SC. You are premitted CC, no problem as long as it stays in holster and concealed. It is called "common sense" folks but that is terribly lacking in this country with irresponsible stupid gun owners and crazed, politically correct, scared to death gunshop owners who have lost all sense of intelligence and common sense.

#6 ·
It's a private business, well within their rights to demand that. It's well within yours to not spend your money there too.

Like BigDude's post, the 'stuff' I've seen in places like that boggle the mind, and they deal with it on a day-to-day basis.

At more than a couple of gun shops, pawn shops, sportn' goods stores, etc. there has been similar signage posted. After a quick talk with the manager/owner/store-keep I've been allowed to continue my shopping heeled. Talk to 'em, the bigger chain-type stores might not 'bend' the rules for ya but the privately owned mom-n-pop shops might....... especially if your spending money AND convince 'em your NOT a typical doofus that can't wait to show everyone what they don't know.

#7 ·
Probably a poorly worded sign that, like others have said, is intended to refer to firearms you're bringing for repair/sale/trade/etc. The world's got idiots, and this is hoping to temper some of them.

My favorite LGS has a sign that says something along the lines of "No loaded firearms... holstered firearms must remain in their holsters - No Exceptions." Now, I've never bought anything there that would require me to unholster - one time I had them use an identical used pistol from the display case to check the fit on a holster - but I bet if I asked, they've got some place/way to do that.

When I was much, much younger, I was at a store looking at some off-duty holsters. I asked the guy behind the counter if I could remove my revolver to check the fit and carry. He eyed me for a second and said something like, "No problem, but be safe and don't be stupid or I'll unholster mine."

#43 ·
Insurance company's do not make such demands, businesses use insurance as an excuse but it has nothing to do with it.

#9 ·
That sign isn't meant for you... it's meant for the 75% of the population that are idiots.

As said, it's more directed at people bringing in guns for trade/repair that more than likely the owner has forgotten to clear.... or to keep from people unholstering their ccw and waving it around. It happens, I've seen it, and there's holes in the walls to prove it.

Be safe.

#23 ·
There's that and also following along with local laws, and having a shop and liability insurance. I know it's not ideally right for a gun shop to disallow the first amendment and all of those who have the rights to exercise the fact. Just that I can see the red tape and corporate aspect of things when it comes down to things like this. Like stated previously..........when you disagree.......don't give them your business. Everyone has to go through a learning experience before issues show up on the bottom line. Boycotts work IMO.....the customer always used to be right, but things have changed. Tell me that Obama used to be president and that things are gonna change.

Reactions: GH and GunGeezer
#10 ·
As BugDude and others have said, it is for idiots that need to present the gun to staff. I went into a gun store & range, a guy comes in with a loaded XD in a holster. I had watched him holster it and load it in the parking lot as I walked in. He goes to the counter and tells the clerk his weapon has a problem and won't feed. Clerk says let me see it. He pulls it from the holster and sweeps the whole damned counter and two clerks in the process. Clerk clears the weapon and tells him it needs to be cleaned and oiled. Guy then says, yeah, I haven't had it out of the safe for six months, holding up his scarred hand. Said he had an "accidental" discharge which went through his left hand.

Many of the guns shops around here have no loaded guns signs, and I understand why. Unless I am going in to shoot or have something repaired, concealed means concealed. When I have spoken to the staff and mentioned something about carrying a weapon, or indicate I am carrying, they never flinch - they just want them holstered.

#12 ·
In FL, just keep the firearm concealed, no one would know and you're not illegal.
Don't touch or show the concealed firearm...no harm, no foul.
Now, a gun shop with a sign like that probably wouldn't have me darkening their entrance anyway...:nono:

Reactions: NotMallNinja
#13 ·
I was in H&H Gunshop in Oklahoma City last month looking at Looper Leather holsters. I asked if I could try one on with my G17. They said sure and showed me the "dressing room" It was a round metal tank 8ft. wide and 10ft. tall painted like a AA shotgun shell. Had a bench in it and mirror to check printing. Liked the holster so I left it on and took the bag to the counter to pay. The guy said they sell more holsters because customers can try em before they buy em. The only bad/good thing was the Ghost display was by the checkout. I had read about the trigger parts here on DC. Had to buy them just to try them. The 3.5 connector is a "really like" item for my G 17. I will go back to H&H next time I'm in OKC.

#14 ·
I sent Al's a polite e-mail telling why I won't be seeing them.
I'd be interested in hearing what they say if they reply. I agree with the others who have said that the poorly worded sign applies to non-conceal carry licensed people.

#15 ·
If you (the OP ) think that practice is denying RKBA, you are somewhat confused as to the legal nature of RKBA.
The gun shop is private property. The decision about what occurs on their property is not one made by
either Federal, State or local government. Hence, the word "right" or the word "rights" don't really apply in the typical
way they are used unless a specific law confers such rights upon you.

Don't shop there if their policy offends you. Heck, its a gun store. Do you really think they are opposed to RKBA?
I think it takes a huge leap of imagination to reach that conclusion.

#17 ·
It's not that uncommon for gun shops to have signs like that, as far as I've seen. They aren't really trying to hinder your rights, like BugDude said they just don't want idiots dangerously pulling out a loaded firearm. I've seen what people do with their carry weapons at the range and it's not only frightening but it blows the mind sometimes how they haven't shot someone accidentally yet, which is why many ranges don't allow firing guns that are carried on the person. I've often walked in gun shops with those signs carrying a loaded gun knowing I won't be drawing it for any reason because the owners don't really care. If I'm visiting for a need for that particular weapon, I'll unload it and bring it in a case like the sign requests.

#19 ·
I live in Sanford and occasionally go to Al's. I never remove my concealed carry. They have never asked and I never tell. Like others have stated, I'm sure it is meant for those who would be trading a weapon or purchasing accessories, etc. It would be illegal to draw a loaded concealed carry weapon to conduct business. They have a similar sign at the local Gander Mountain but it has wording specifically addressing those using guns at their range, gunsmith, etc.

#20 ·
Poorly worded sign

Hello all,
I work at the store in question, and I can assure you all that it DOES NOT apply to those with a permit to carry. It is intended for those openly carrying guns into the store for repair, questions, holsters, ect. My apologies to whomever was offended, and rest easy because the sign is being reworded today.

#26 ·
Hello all,
I work at the store in question, and I can assure you all that it DOES NOT apply to those with a permit to carry. It is intended for those openly carrying guns into the store for repair, questions, holsters, ect. My apologies to whomever was offended, and rest easy because the sign is being reworded today.
That's customer service. Thanks for the update.

#22 ·
I CALLED AL'S and they said that its ok for a ccw to come in armed. if your gonna try for a holster to fit the gun than please
bring it in the store unloaded.

this is fairly standard practice at the gun stores ive been in and is good safety.

is it possible the sign was mis read or poorly wordered?

------->now i see post #20....

#25 ·
I had a store owner tell me one time that he has had multiple gun owners walk in a store holding their pistol in thier hand as they walk in.

Is the store owner supposed to know if he is about to be robbed, or does someone want to sell a gun?

Sometimes it might be hard to tell which is happening.

A sign at least would make the legitimate ( but non educated) seller put the gun away

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.