Five 'Stand Your Ground' Cases You Should Know About

This is a discussion on Five 'Stand Your Ground' Cases You Should Know About within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A short article from ProPublica. I don't know the details of the individual cases, but what is clear is that 'stand your ground' laws are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Five 'Stand Your Ground' Cases You Should Know About

Five 'Stand Your Ground' Cases You Should Know About

A short article from ProPublica. I don't know the details of the individual cases, but what is clear is that 'stand your ground' laws are important, but there is clearly room for abuse.

Five ‘Stand Your Ground’ Cases You Should Know About - ProPublica

I'm interested to hear other's perspectives.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    All five cases were and have been controversial and could be decided either way. My reading of the article is a thinly veiled attempt at saying “stand your ground” laws should be abolished.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

None of those kills would be legal according to my interpretation of the laws here in NC, but in all cases the shooters got off scot-free. I definitely wouldn't expect to get away with any of those, since our law clearly states that theft is not a reason for deadly force, and if the person is retreating, even with your stereo in his possession, you can't shoot because your life is not in danger. And I'm sure you'd fry here for shooting a retard walking a dog. Man, that's just wrong. IMO we need the courts to deal more harshly with these cowboy-wanna-be's because all they do is further incite the gun-fearing public against those of us who legally carry or even own any gun. A good many voters don't distinguish between a trigger-happy vigilante and a law-abiding permit holder.
    bandrich likes this.

Definitely interesting comments in a wide swath to both extremes....However not very good examples of a proper SYG argument, I don't think you should be able to envovke a SYG defense when your dope deal goes awry.
    I believe that there is a global misconstrued sense of the SYG laws, if someone is entering my house, or car, I should not have to retreat to defend myself or family, nor if I am threatened in public. It does not give you license to enter a situation that you should not have been in the first place, then allow you to shoot someone when you are attacked, it may not be provocation but it isn't common sense, which lacks in alot of the cases.

Sent from this... Using that...

It won't be long until '60 Minutes' comes out with a show on this topic and it will,no doubt, focus on the cases that are questionable.

Shooting an unarmed person who is on your front porch may not be the best choice. However, many cases are justified and should make criminals think twice before committing a crime. The highly publicized Zimmerman case will indeed be an interesting case to watch.
    msgt/ret, goldshellback and baren like this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

"In Louisiana early this year, a grand jury cleared 21-year-old Byron Thomas after he fired into an SUV filled with teenagers after an alleged marijuana transaction went sour."
    So the fact that he was allegedly engaged in an illegal activity had no bearing? I guess it is open season now for the drug dealers to eliminate the competition. But Officer, I felt threatened by that gun he had in his waistband. And you know I have the right to stand my ground and not retreat.

Wow. The only case that I think comes close to the idea of 'standing your ground' is the guy on the porch. The mentally handicapped man story was just sad. I guess it depends on your jurisdiction. The real problem is how do you define it so that abuses don't happen but it still works?
    I think I should be able to claim my guns as dependents on my taxes. I have to clothe them, feed them, clean them when they get dirty, keep them safe from bad people...

sgb
    An anti self defense article giving inflammatory biased summations of 5 incidents where triers of fact made decisions based on the TOTALITY of the evidence and the applicable law found differently than the New York Times author of the article.

This my surprised face
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

This was a "thinly veiled" hatch job by and for the anti gunners. The reasons have been stated already....I agree.
    DaveH likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

This law is like any law; it can be twisted and manipulated to fit an instance. It needs to be more unified so it can't be used differently in different states. If you are in the commission of a felony crime a self-defense shooting needs to be brought to grand jury hearing and not dismissed in a simple court hearing where on person is making a decision

As for the kid trying to break into someone’s porch to get away from the cops; it was tragic but he WAS trying to break in to a house regardless of what part of the home

Quote Originally Posted by chefjon View Post
    Wow. The only case that I think comes close to the idea of 'standing your ground' is the guy on the porch. The mentally handicapped man story was just sad. I guess it depends on your jurisdiction. The real problem is how do you define it so that abuses don't happen but it still works?
    I hate to put it this way, BUT sometimes someone has to "take one for the team". Punish the people that misuse it and continue to teach the correct time to use it.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Wheeewwww. I read the article, then got through the comments.

The article was very slanted and biased. I agree they should have cited at least 'one' case that covers exactly what the SYG laws were ment to protect.
    The biggest problem I saw in the examples were the judges interpretation in the given cases. To many people who should NOT have been protected under the SYG law have, in fact, goten away with murder. Of course, we're only hearing the paper version, not what the judges and juries heard.

Lets see a few cases where the law protected the people it was MENT to protect. Regardless of whatever law we look at, defense attorneys will find a way to use that very law to get their client off, regardless of guilt.
    barstoolguru and msgt/ret like this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Kind of concerned that someone with four posts would bring this forth and ask for a discussion. Guess I'm a little jaded and cynical, regarding the trols.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Typical biased media.
    They left out significant facts in the Joe Horn case. Little details like the two men he "suspected" of burglarizing his neighbors home were in fact burglarizing his neighbors home! That Texas law does allow the use of deadly force to protect property. That Joe Horn was on his own property so the recently enacted "stand your ground law" that removes the "duty to retreat while in public places" is irrelevant. That the deceased ran onto Horn's property (towards him after being told to freeze) That the shootings were witnessed by a police officer who could have arrested Horn on the spot but chose not to do so based on what he saw. Just little things like that.

If their summary of the Horn case is typical of their (in)accuracy I don't think we can take any of their other cases presented at face value.
    baren likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

In kentucky in all of the statutes that govern when you can use deadly force or a forceable action against another person the provision for "Stand your Ground" is there and states "A person does not have any duty to retreat if that person is in the place where he or she has the right to be."
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links