Carry with one in the chamber on Taurus TCP?

This is a discussion on Carry with one in the chamber on Taurus TCP? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been carrying for a couple of months now and usually carry in my back pocket in a felt/neoprene type of pocket holster that ...

View Poll Results: Carry with one in the pipe on pocket .380's?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Carry with one in the chamber on Taurus TCP?

Question Carry with one in the chamber on Taurus TCP?

I have been carrying for a couple of months now and usually carry in my back pocket in a felt/neoprene type of pocket holster that covers the trigger guard. During this time I have mostly carried with nothing in the chamber unless I am leaving at night and going to the ATM or something similar. This is mostly due to the fact that that the Taurus TCP .380 does not have a safety and instead relies on a long DA pull. And to tell you the truth I felt a little paranoid about sitting wrong or bumping it too hard and having it go off. But I have been reading quite a bit, and I think keeping one in the pipe is generally preferred for unexpected situations. I guess my question is whether or not it is a big difference and am I being paranoid? From what I have seen the Ruger LCP and Kel Tec .380's don't have external safeties as well. I will find myself laying on the couch and shifting around and then suddenly stop when I remember I am laying on my gun and take it out of my pocket.
    Ut supra, Sic Infra...

2. Remove Ads

As you researched, keeping a round chambered is best for the unexpected. In a adrenaline induced, unexpected situation you looses dexterity in your hands. Practice pulling it from your holster/pocket to train muscle memory. Feel safe that the TCP and LCP guys designed the long trigger pull for a reason.

You're not going to pull the trigger accidentally any more than you would with a pocket-carried J-frame revolver, and just like with the J-frame, you won't set off one in the chamber with a bump. If I was worried about that, I'd have to carry with only 3 rounds (empty current chamber, and empty next up).

VIP Member
    This subject has been beaten to death. If you search you will find probably hundreds of threads on the subject. As long as it is holstered with the trigger covered the gun IS NOT going to go off.
    claude clay likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I voted yes, however I understand the concerns of BuddhaBob , the TCP has a pretty easy trigger pull compared to the LCP or revolvers and is carrying it in a rather soft holster to which we don't know the name of.

Unlike the majority here who will say 'carry chambered or carry a club', I will simply say that you should carry how you are comfortable, and practice that way.

That said, do not carry chambered one day and unchambered the next day, etc... be consistent or you're asking for trouble.

Lastly, I would recommend you carry the gun unloaded but rack the slide and holster it. Carry it this way for a couple weeks and do what you'd normally do - at the end of the 2 weeks check the trigger, I think you'll find that it's still ready to fire.

If you're still not comfortable carrying with one in the pipe, don't... and don't feel bad about it, do what YOU feel is best for you and not what some folks on the Internet think is the best for you.

Perhaps a better holster is in order? Have you considered a nice small inside the waistband holster? This will provide better trigger protection as well as a faster draw (*typically).
    Last edited by Thunder71; June 12th, 2012 at 09:41 AM.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    If this is a problem for you that this thread cannot convince you otherwise, get another firearm with a safety--period/end of story. What do you expect someone to tell you? The idea that you will CC and not have a cartridge in the chamber but will rely on your "quick reflexes" and "exhaustive training" to allow you to rack a slide, aim and fire--all within that magic 21 ft or so when you recognize imminent threat of death or great bodily injury is ridiculous..

No way, no how, not gonna happen. Load the pistol up, holster it in a good pocket holster and stop worrying about an act of God taking place while you rest on the sofa. Not trying to be critical or funny with ya just concerned at how many folks out there think that they are so fast that they can chamber a round and acquire a target to defend themselves during a crisis. It is good that you are researching this early on in your carry experience, and here's to hoping you gain the confidence to adequately prepare yourself against life's predators.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

If you don't feel comfortable with a round in the chamber then you aren't ready for concealed carry. Carry a brick with you instead, it's cheaper.

mkh
    If you carry a gun for SD it should have one in the chamber. It is safe that way. Anyone not doing so should stop carrying until they understand and trust their gun.

Call me chicken but I don't holster with one in the chamber. I can rack the slide as I'm pulling it from the holster and besides, they know you mean business when they hear that unmistakable sound. But I agree with what everyone says about accidental misfire. It's just my preference.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    chicken

if you don't feel comfortable with a round in the chamber then you aren't ready for concealed carry. Carry a brick with you instead, it's cheaper.
    ponchsox says it in the fewest words.

many threads over the past years and i think every one that started as you are figured it out....

and carry chambered or ceased carrying
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

If you aren't comfortable with it you aren't ready to carry

It disappoints me to read time and time again how people belittle others who are new to carrying or not comfortable carrying with one in the chamber.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are some folks here who seem to be Internet Commandos yet have never been in a life and death situation and giving their "I'm better than you" advice when in fact they themselves might shoot themselves in the foot just un-holstering their weapon because they carry concealed in a $100 inside the waistband hosehide, combat cut Crossbreed yet practice at the range outside the waistband with a $9 Uncle Mike's belt holster.

If these guns were 'designed' to be carried with one in the chamber, why do some owners manuals say not to chamber a round until you're ready to fire?

If by 'designed' you mean 'what you think' or 'what the manual really means' or 'that is just for insurance purposes' that is different than what they state, if you mean by a 1911 then remember 1911's have external safeties.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    It disappoints me to read time and time again how people belittle others who are new to carrying or not comfortable carrying with one in the chamber.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are some folks here who seem to be Internet Commandos yet have never been in a life and death situation and giving their "I'm better than you" advice when in fact they themselves might shoot themselves in the foot just un-holstering their weapon because they carry concealed in a $100 inside the waistband hosehide, combat cut Crossbreed yet practice at the range outside the waistband with a $9 Uncle Mike's belt holster.
    I do apologize if you were referring to me and I apologize if my original post was insulting and rude. I do apologize

No worries there... I just wish people would be less condescending and more helpful. Provide information, reasons, explanations, etc and offer up suggestions on how to become more comfortable.

Not everyone grew up around guns or shot 'tweety birds' with their Red Ryder when they were 5 years old. Carrying a gun for some people is a new experience which can be scary for anyone regardless of experience level. I just don't think that making them out to be any less of a human being for carrying without one in the chamber, at least initially, is the best approach. Bullying them into doing something they are not comfortable with isn't the right answer, coaching, mentoring and teaching, is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links