Sig p226

This is a discussion on Sig p226 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a new P226 enroute, and I wonder how you folks carry yours. This is my first pistol, since I started carrying full time, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Sig p226

Sig p226

I have a new P226 enroute, and I wonder how you folks carry yours. This is my first pistol, since I started carrying full time, with a hammer. Do most of you carry cocked and locked, or do you carry with the hammer down.
    crue2009 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Unless there is a variant out of which I am unaware, you may want to do a little more research. The P226 is a traditional DA/SA with a decocker and no manual safety. The proper way to carry that gun is loaded, chambered and de-cocked.

To my knowledge there is no way to carry it "C & L" as there is no safety with which to "Lock" it.
    MadMac and CIBMike like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Thanks for the reply. That answers my question. I guess you can tell that I am new to SIGs.

VIP Member
    The classic Sig is a wonderful handgun. It is more accurate that most who shoot them. They are generally reliable and easy to maintain.

You should be happy with it. Just practice that DA to SA transition.

Oh, and be sure to get a good, stiff gunbelt. That is a fairy heavy gun and requires some decent support to carry comfortably all day.
    CIBMike and .XX like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Unless there is a variant out of which I am unaware, you may want to do a little more research. The P226 is a traditional DA/SA with a decocker and no manual safety. The proper way to carry that gun is loaded, chambered and de-cocked.

To my knowledge there is no way to carry it "C & L" as there is no safety with which to "Lock" it.
    The Sig P220 SAO and the P238 are the only variants I am aware of that can be carried C&L'd

Sent from this... Using that...
    sensei2 likes this.

Yes, I have a pretty good belt, but I really need to get a better one. I have been carrying Glocks, full size S&W M&Ps and Walthers for a while now. The only one that causes a problem is the Glock 20, but it is a big gun. My belt is the "double duty" from Cabela's.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Well Done on your new sig!
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Yes, I have a pretty good belt, but I really need to get a better one. I have been carrying Glocks, full size S&W M&Ps and Walthers for a while now. The only one that causes a problem is the Glock 20, but it is a big gun. My belt is the "double duty" from Cabela's.
    If you don't tuck your shirt in check out the 5 stitch Wilderness Instructor belts.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

The P226 was my first handgun as well. It's a very fine firearm. It's accurate, reliable, and quite sturdy. That said, mine has been relegated to home defense duty. It's simply too much handgun for concealed carry (for me). I find the G19 easier to tote around with the same number of rounds and the same caliber with at least the same reliability. I will also carry my Kimber Ultra or a S&W 642 snubbie depending on circumstances, weather, and dress.

I will carry the P226 on occasion, but those occasions are few and far between for me now.

JD
    Administrator
    There are a couple of 226 variants with C&L capability, but they're pricey and probably now what the OP is talking about, but as a general FYI....

P226 X-Five

Mastershop Pistols

The X5 Tactical has often intrigued me, and the Short & Smart would be mine if I ever felt like paying $3K for a Sig

great great gun. a bit I a horse though. heavy and thick. it'll take some getting use to.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    congrats on the sig
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    the manual is on line

time spent with it ( is time lost from DC but....) while you are waiting for
    delivery of the gun may be useful.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Great gun. Chambered and de-cocked for carry.

Practice that double action pull. Dry fire the snot out of it to get used to it. It's a little bit of a learning curve coming from Glocks etc... Once you get used to it, you'll love that gun. Congrats

Excellent choice. I have an older 226 that serves as a range and practice gun. As kb said above, dry-fire it a lot to get used to that DA pull. What I also do a lot at the range is draw or come up to the ready position, fire a DA shot, decock, and repeat. Since after the first shot it goes to SA, I don't think people practice the first DA shot enough.

Many people seem to have issues with the transition from DA to SA. I have never had a problem with it. Just practice and you should find it to be a great shooter.
    sensei2 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links