WI police access to CC info

This is a discussion on WI police access to CC info within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got pulled on on my bike last week about 50 yards from a 55mph sign. I should have just waited to speed up, I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vista461

Thread: WI police access to CC info

I got pulled on on my bike last week about 50 yards from a 55mph sign. I should have just waited to speed up, I got a warning...anyway after the cop ran my license he seemed to look me over a lot more. I don't have anything but a stupid jet ski ticket on my record for being too close to a boat...This was the day after my license was issued, but I didn't get it for another 2 days. The PO was nice and friendly the whole time, really like my bike and was impressed I was in full safety gear. Said everyone else he pulled over that day had shorts and flip flops on...I ride hard so I am always in full gear...So my question is, when a PO in WI runs your license, does it state you have the CC certification?? The statutes seem murky on this issue...law enforcement has access to CC info to:

To confirm that a license or certification card produced by an individual at the request of a law enforcement officer is valid. Wis. Stat. 175.60(12)(b)1a.
    If an individual claims to hold a valid license or law enforcement certification but does not have his or her license document or law enforcement certification card with him or her, to confirm that the individual holds a valid license or certification card. Wis. Stat. 175.60(12)(b)1b.
    To investigate whether a person submitted an intentionally false statement in a license application or renewal. Wis. Stat. 175.60(12)(b)1c.
    To investigate whether a person complied with the requirements governing the return of revoked or suspended CCW licenses. Wis. Stat. 175.60(12)(b)1d.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    LEO are only supposed to have access to the permit holder database if they are checking on the status of the permit. They are not permitted to cross-reference the database during a routine traffic stop as it applies to the traffic stop itself. If they see you are carrying a weapon, then yes, they have probable cause to check to see if you are indeed carrying legally. This is how I understand the law anyway.

The funny thing is, in earlier attempts to get a CCW law passed through the legislature, I am pretty sure something like this was in one of the bills that passed through both houses. LEOs could have known almost immediately by being able to cross-reference the permit holder database, whether or not the person was a permit holder. But as we know, Jim Doyle vetoed multiple attempts to get CC passed in Wisconsin. Also there were more stringent training requirements in those bills as well. There would be a more watered down CCW law in this state if the Democrats had just allowed earlier bills to pass. The irony is just wonderful.

Down here in TX they know during a routine traffic stop,but since anybody that can legally possess a handgun can carry one concealed in their vehicle without a permit the 2 times I've been stopped and handed my DL and CHL to the LEO they looked and handed it back without even asking if and where I had it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The LEO will not know. They must have a specific reason to look. Even if he saw your gun under a shirt he cannot request the info from dispatch. He needs to ask you to produce the permit, then he can verify it is legit or look it up if you do not have the permit with you.

Ok, thanks guys. It didn't sound like my CC permit was noted on my driving record, but then again if the CC info did show up on my license I am sure they could interpret the statutes in a way that supported doing it...Regardless of what the law actually says...

No, your cc permit is not in anyway attached to your driver's license or vehicle registration.
    I'm a police dispatcher, running that stuff is what I do.
    rt_hawk likes this.

Links