Help with SC carry law
This is a discussion on Help with SC carry law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to beach this weekend and i read the SC on car carring and it says:
A loaded handgun can be carried in ...
September 13th, 2006 08:27 PM
Help with SC carry law
I am going to beach this weekend and i read the SC on car carring and it says:
A loaded handgun can be carried in the glove box or in the console (9), or a closed saddlebag on a motorcycle (16)
But wanted to know can i carry an unloaded gun concealed on my side.
September 13th, 2006 10:07 PM
You can not carry the pistol unloaded and on your person. It has to be carried in a way stated in the law or not carried at all.
SECTION 16‑23‑20. Unlawful carrying of pistol; exceptions.
It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any pistol, whether concealed or not, except as follows:
(1) Regular, salaried law enforcement officers and reserve police officers of a municipality or county of the State, uncompensated Governor’s constables, law enforcement officers of the federal government or other states when they are carrying out official duties while in this State, deputy enforcement officers of the Natural Resources Enforcement Division of the Department of Natural Resources, and retired commissioned law enforcement officers employed as private detectives or private investigators.
(2) Members of the Armed Forces of the United States or of the National Guard, organized reserves, or the State Militia when on duty.
(3) Members of organizations authorized by law to purchase or receive firearms from the United States or this State, or regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting or collecting modern and antique firearms while these members are at or going to or from their places of target practice or their shows and exhibits.
(4) Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing or going to or from their places of hunting or fishing.
(5) Any person regularly engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, repossession, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of this person while possessing, using, or carrying a pistol in the usual or ordinary course of the business.
(6) Guards engaged in protection of property of the United States or any agency thereof.
(7) Any authorized military or civil organizations while parading or the members thereof when going to and from the places of meeting of their respective organizations.
(8) Any person in his home, or upon his real property, or fixed place of business.
(9) Any person in a vehicle where the pistol is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, or closed trunk.
(10) Any person carrying a pistol unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or a fixed place of business or while in the process of the changing or moving of one’s residence or the changing or moving of his fixed place of business.
(11) Any prison guard while engaged in his official duties.
(12) Any person who is granted a permit under provision of law by the State Law Enforcement Division to carry a pistol about his person, under conditions set forth in the permit. Persons authorized to carry weapons pursuant to items (6) and (12) of this section may exercise this privilege only after acquiring a permit (CWP) from the State Law Enforcement Division as provided for in Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23.
Co-Owner Handgunlaw.usMember Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
September 13th, 2006 10:44 PM
I have a CCW permit in NC and SC honors my CCW permit. But wondered if i could carry in the car concealed. Thank you for the information
Originally Posted by Gary Slider
By targus in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
Last Post: April 19th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Search tags for this page
concealed carry in sc while hunting
sc conceled carry fishing
sc law 16 23 30-carry laws for hunting and fishing
sc law article 4 chapter 31 title 23
true open carry fishing sc
uncompensated governor's constables
what is the firearms carrying law in south carolina while on a motorcycle
Click on a term to search for related topics.