Student of the Gun - Carrying loaded vs. unloaded

This is a discussion on Student of the Gun - Carrying loaded vs. unloaded within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Found a new TV show on the Sportsmans Channel called Student of the Gun . It's a quick, 30 minute show that covers all kinds ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By wmhawth
  • 1 Post By claude clay
  • 1 Post By jbum

Thread: Student of the Gun - Carrying loaded vs. unloaded

Student of the Gun - Carrying loaded vs. unloaded

Found a new TV show on the Sportsmans Channel called Student of the Gun. It's a quick, 30 minute show that covers all kinds of gun related topics.

Last night had a discussion on carrying loaded vs. unloaded. They timed an instructor on the differences between drawing loaded and unloaded (having to pull the slide and load) and shots on target. Basically, having to 'rack a round' added one second in each test.

The guy doing the tests was a professional and probably shoots everyday as part of his job, which tells me that your average Joe carrying unloaded might even add more time to be ready to engage.

All-in-all, a good little lesson on carrying loaded!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Why are we even having this discussion now or again? Hey--anyone can do what they want and if no safety really upsets them, I would kindly tell them to sell the dumb gun and buy one that has a safety--other than that--give me a break--if it ain't ready to fire it won't fire==period/end of story----and a good chance, g-d forbid, end of life.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Carrying without a round chambered is as good as trying to squirt mustard on your fries before unscrewing the cap and taking the seal off. It just don't work that way!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Why are we even having this discussion now or again? Hey--anyone can do what they want and if no safety really upsets them, I would kindly tell them to sell the dumb gun and buy one that has a safety--other than that--give me a break--if it ain't ready to fire it won't fire==period/end of story----and a good chance, g-d forbid, end of life.
    I suppose you should have just passed this thread by if the subject isn't to your liking. The OP simply mentioned a TV show he saw on The Sportsman's Channel. Student Of The Gun is often worth watching.
    OD*, msgt/ret, mano3 and 1 others like this.

I watch that show every monday. As well as the "personal defense" show that come on before it. Both are very educational and I would recommend them.

I saw that episode last night. Not to bad...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

One in the chamber. Always....while CC.
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    5 or so years ago this was not ever brought up.
    people understood that you learn how to use a tool as it is designed.
    if you do not like the design, find a tool that fits your specific needs or
    you may realize that its made a certain way and if you want it than you have to have it on its terms.

the entitlement generation seems to have gotten up in years and now they, having never been told that anything they did was wrong
    or that they could not have it their way....all of a sudden there is this concept. further drawing some power via the Israel method
    which was an answer to a specific situation--no standardized small arms; make training easier and also reduce the possibility of mishaps by carrying unchambered.
    and its ok for them IN THEIR SITUATION being that they carry a rifle and the side arm, if needed, is carried open and its need is not in an instant--like CCW is.

not just in Great Britain has commen sense died
    GeorgiaDawg likes this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

If you don't carry chambered, you're not ready to carry at all.

The unchambered folks are more likely to get hurt and have their gun forcibly taken from them to be used in future crimes.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I suppose you should have just passed this thread by if the subject isn't to your liking. The OP simply mentioned a TV show he saw on The Sportsman's Channel. Student Of The Gun is often worth watching.
    Excellent point.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I always carry one in the pipe. It actually makes me even more cautious when handling my firearms, even when I know they are unloaded, because I'm used to having them ready to go all the time. Even when dry firing, after I've already checked, I check and re-check and check again.

I'm not very accurate when throwing awkwardly-shaped objects, so I figure I'd be better off carrying red than chucking my sidearm at someone in a time of crisis.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Carrying without a round chambered is as good as trying to squirt mustard on your fries before unscrewing the cap and taking the seal off. It just don't work that way!
    What is wrong with you people in Ohio? Mustard on fries.....that ain't right!
    GeorgiaDawg likes this.

JD
    Administrator
    Not sure about the show but this topic is definitely a rerun.

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.

Links