Response to seeing "heavy fire power" openly carried

This is a discussion on Response to seeing "heavy fire power" openly carried within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tcox4freedom It depends- Is it deer season? Is it possibly someone on their way to kill hogs? Maybe their on the way ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Response to seeing "heavy fire power" openly carried

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    It depends-
    • Is it deer season?
    • Is it possibly someone on their way to kill hogs?
    • Maybe their on the way to kill a few yotes?

OC is illegal in my state. But, around my area we have a lot of hunters that use AR type firearms. (So, I really wouldn't be to worried.) However, if I see someone in a trench coat in the SC heat & humidity walking into the mall, I'm out of there.

Seriously, where do some people come up with this stuff?

-
    When I was a kid, literally everyone I new hunted. I never saw anyone carry their rifles in to businesses unless it was the gunshop. Pistols, sure, but rifles are just too unwieldy to carry around to the store. We pretty much always had a rifle in the truck, but not in the store or coffee shop.
    goldshellback likes this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.
    -- John F. Kennedy

2. Remove Ads

It may be their right but it attracts all kinds of unwanted attention. If your walking around with an AR 15, you are doing it to make a political statement. It makes no sense, your right or not,to poke the anti gun people in the eye, to deliberately antagonize the ones that are trying to kill the 2A. Public perception means something,they will accept responsible law abiding citizens discreatly carry a fire arm concealed.They are less tolerant of open carry.Lets face it,it frightens them.Even more so when people start carrying big guns openly. Frightened people want something done to stop that kind of behavior,it creates more anti gun people. It fuels the anti gun movement. Its irresponsible childish behavior,counter productive to the very activity they claim to have a right to. The ones that do this kind of thing are as dangerous to the 2A as any anti gun wacko. They will scream the loudest when they cause the rest of us to lose our right to bear arms.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    When I was a kid, literally everyone I new hunted. I never saw anyone carry their rifles in to businesses unless it was the gunshop. Pistols, sure, but rifles are just too unwieldy to carry around to the store. We pretty much always had a rifle in the truck, but not in the store or coffee shop.
    I worked graveyard shift at "THE" most dangerous stop & rob in my city. I ALWAYS carried a rifle or shotgun to work. I was fairly protected from handguns when I was inside my cubicle. But, I always wanted a little more firepower close at hand when I was out in the store or working at the gas pumps.

BTW;
    The cops were totally cool with it because they knew how dangerous that job was.

-

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by revdej View Post
    First, I'm all for open carry, even though I always conceal. Many open carriers choose to open carry as a political statement,
    Far as I am concerned the issues go way deeper than just making a political statement.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I think openly carrying a holstered firearm and having a long arm in your hands are two very different things. I see safety issues. ND!!!! Rifles are for engaging threats at a further distance than the normal encounter. A small arm would probably be a better choice for personal defense. I know shotguns could be an exception.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I'm for open carry as well but if I see a guy with an AR on his back heading into Walmart (for example), I'm outta there... period.
    +1^^^^
    you'll need to hustle if you want to catch up with me.

legal or not, that would likely clear just about any store and it's guaranteed to bring multiple MWAG calls to 911.
    ericb327 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    +1^^^^
    you'll need to hustle if you want to catch up with me.
    What he said.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Ram rod .... he stated: "many" open carriers carry for political reasons. Not "all" open carriers.

Although I do tend to think that more open carriers carry for that reason than not.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    It may be their right but it attracts all kinds of unwanted attention. If your walking around with an AR 15, you are doing it to make a political statement. It makes no sense, your right or not,to poke the anti gun people in the eye, to deliberately antagonize the ones that are trying to kill the 2A. Public perception means something,they will accept responsible law abiding citizens discreatly carry a fire arm concealed.They are less tolerant of open carry.Lets face it,it frightens them.Even more so when people start carrying big guns openly. Frightened people want something done to stop that kind of behavior,it creates more anti gun people. It fuels the anti gun movement. Its irresponsible childish behavior,counter productive to the very activity they claim to have a right to. The ones that do this kind of thing are as dangerous to the 2A as any anti gun wacko. They will scream the loudest when they cause the rest of us to lose our right to bear arms.
    I totally agree. I'm waiting to see what kind of blowback will result from the Zimmerman case. With the national exposure it's getting it's not just a FL issue.

Article I, Section 1.04 (of Ohio)

The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security; but standing armies, in time of peace, are dangerous to liberty, and shall not be kept up; and the military shall be in strict subordination to the civil power.

Open carry is fine, "inciting" can be criminal, and if you walk into a business and scare everyone one away with your tacti-cool AR them more businesses will be putting up "signs".
    ericb327 likes this.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    This:

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    If it was in a sling, over their back, I would less likely to be spooked than if they were carrying it in some type of low-ready position.
    Modern OCers often find long gun carry unacceptable. Then there's this:

PilgrimChurch.jpg
    BigStick likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I would find someone with a rifle slung on their back to be out-of-the-ordinary in a public place, but not a threat. It's the same way I feel when I see OC handguns. But someone carrying a rifle? That's a little different. If someone showed up with a pistol in their hands, how would you react? Personally, I'd be taking cover and clearing leather. There's a fine line between rights and responsibility.
    phreddy likes this.

I've open carried a long gun during hunting season...... of course, I didn't stand out at all.

Only occasionly have I openly carried my sidearm..... it's been no big deal so far. I CC probley 95% of the time though.

I fully support Openly carried sidearms. I have a problem with the 'in-your-face' aggressivness by individuals who think baiting and trolling for cops and the general population daring a MWAG call........

I one of the least raceist people around, but the Black panthers, the KKK, Big Al and Bro. Jessie, Arian wanna-be nation doofuses, the MEDIA, ....... that behavior dosn't help anything.
    I'm a Christian, but priests who molest their altel boys, pastors cheating on their spouses or stealing from the collection plate, or Westbro-tards protesting our country's fallen........
    Stupid hurts more than just the stupid.........

As for myself, I see a long gun going into Wally-World or the corner Stop-n-Rob, I'm steering clear. I don't wanna be in the kill-box OR be a part of some stupid gun-ho open carry militant's drama. It don't help 'the cause'.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

As concealed carriers and gun folks, if you see someone come into your restaraunt or coming near you in a parking lot with a lot of heavy fire power, what is your response? Does your SA go up? How do you let them make their statement but keep an eye on they just in case they are not a 2A mouth-piece
    If the option is available I leave the area immediately. It's not my job to keep an eye on them.

Ram Rod, I really think you over-think my question. Just a simple question as to how one would respond if seeing someone with a rifle of some sort thrown over their shoulder. Didn't really request being picked apart. From now on, maybe I'll just skip your responses.
    revdej;

Why do you feel the need to open this thread and then later add provisos governing the responses? Ram Rod's response was valid and thoughtful. The thread isn't your private property. Once you compose your thoughts and throw 'em out there in the form of an opening post then they're available for discussion and it's not for you to suppress comments of which you don't approve. You should debate Ram Rod's responses as you see fit but he should not be attacked, even obliquely, for sharing his opinion. After all, you asked for it when you made the original post.

forum (frm, fr-)n. pl. forums also fora (fr, fr)1.a. The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business.
    b. A public meeting place for open discussion.
    c. A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website.

2. A public meeting or presentation involving a discussion usually among experts and often including audience participation.
    3. A court of law; a tribunal.

To return to the subject at hand, it's daft to carry long arms slung over the shoulder in public settings! Even lawmen in this region don't go wandering about on foot carrying their riot guns or carbines that way and this part of Texas is God's country with respect to gun rights and acceptance of firearms. The person who carries a long arm to "make a statement" is foolish in the extreme. If they are carrying it for any other reason then that reason is suspect. The old "reasonable man" theory has application here. Common sense has gone out of style in this day and age. These types who are "asserting their rights" carrying long arms in public are actually dishonest about their motives. They do it to get a personal thrill out of pressing the matter, pushing the limit, showing off, and making a spectacle of themselves. Let's just be honest here. They are not "protecting Second Amendment rights" as they claim to do.

And, deer season doesn't matter. I've managed to avidly hunt deer, coyotes, hogs, ducks, and dove since the early 1970s and never once had any call to carry my long arms around in public to do so. I've never had any luck seeing venison on the hoof at the local mall nor will the use of a duck call and a spread of decoys do me any good in the aisle in front of the sporting goods counter at WalMart.

Not picking on your excellent comments at all, tcox4freedom but rather using them to make a point.
    No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links