Response to seeing "heavy fire power" openly carried

This is a discussion on Response to seeing "heavy fire power" openly carried within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First, I'm all for open carry, even though I always conceal. Many open carriers choose to open carry as a political statement, carrying ARs and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Response to seeing "heavy fire power" openly carried

First, I'm all for open carry, even though I always conceal. Many open carriers choose to open carry as a political statement, carrying ARs and other assorted "big guns" in very public places where it's legal. Again, I'm ok with that as it is their right. HOWEVER, shooters with evil intent also carry "big guns" openly and proudly, just before blasting away in public. As concealed carriers and gun folks, if you see someone come into your restaraunt or coming near you in a parking lot with a lot of heavy fire power, what is your response? Does your SA go up? How do you let them make their statement but keep an eye on they just in case they are not a 2A mouth-piece, but a deranged psycho? Remember, I'm not talking about a gun club at starbucks with pistols strapped to their sides, but scenes like the teenager in Birmingham recently arrested because of his choice of carry equipment.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I'm for open carry as well but if I see a guy with an AR on his back heading into Walmart (for example), I'm outta there... period.

See ya. This Elvis will 'leave the building' post haste. Adios Muchachos.

I think carrying a long gun, ANY long gun, to exercise OC rights is just a bit over the top. IF I were to choose to stay/continue my activities in the location which I observed this behavior, I would be in a heightened state of awareness. If I had no need to remain in the location, then I, and my significant other would have our heads on a swivel and making an exit/leaving the location. I choose the location that I wish to engage, if at all possible, and engaging with a long gun carrier, that perhaps could go off the deep end, is NOT my idea of being smart. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by revdej View Post
    First, I'm all for open carry, even though I always conceal. Many open carriers choose to open carry as a political statement, carrying ARs and other assorted "big guns" in very public places where it's legal. Again, I'm ok with that as it is their right. HOWEVER, shooters with evil intent also carry "big guns" openly and proudly, just before blasting away in public. As concealed carriers and gun folks, if you see someone come into your restaraunt or coming near you in a parking lot with a lot of heavy fire power, what is your response? Does your SA go up? How do you let them make their statement but keep an eye on they just in case they are not a 2A mouth-piece, but a deranged psycho? Remember, I'm not talking about a gun club at starbucks with pistols strapped to their sides, but scenes like the teenager in Birmingham recently arrested because of his choice of carry equipment.
    So....anyone who open carries is making a political statement? Who's even listening? Even the politicians don't hear the common man. Get real.
    "Heavy firepower"? What is dat? If they have a bigger gun than you? I can't think of heavy firepower with an auto pistol much less something strapped to my side that would be easily carried that I would consider "heavy firepower".
    Someone walking tall would definitely up my suspicion......but could I guess their "evil intentions'? No....but I'd be spiked at that point. Making a scene over this? Thin line.
    Response is only necessary when threatened. If you're a business owner, you're still just like anyone else protecting themselves. You cannot kill to protect property.
    If you are the property owner and dislike what you see....I figure you have the right to disallow such things in your establishment and therefore you should have no complaints, wants, needs, nor any advice to the contrary.
    tcox4freedom and bmcgilvray like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I'm for open carry as well but if I see a guy with an AR on his back heading into Walmart (for example), I'm outta there... period.
    I'm with you. If I see somebody open carrying something like this......

W7364_SI_RRA_PDS-93001.jpg

.....I don't want to be around them.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Ram Rod, I really think you over-think my question. Just a simple question as to how one would respond if seeing someone with a rifle of some sort thrown over their shoulder. Didn't really request being picked apart. From now on, maybe I'll just skip your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by revdej View Post
    Ram Rod, I really think you over-think my question. Just a simple question as to how one would respond if seeing someone with a rifle of some sort thrown over their shoulder. Didn't really request being picked apart. From now on, maybe I'll just skip your responses.
    Sometimes I figure I do over-think things. Sometimes I think others should and then again some that do should be more scrupulous. I honestly can't think of anywhere in America these days that open carry of a carbine or rifle would be totally acceptable. I don't live in KY so I'm not sure what's the norm down there. Thing is......you either make sense of what's (socially acceptable) down there and rule out 'Suspects' or you let them in. Didn't start to pick you "apart". Maybe it's you over thinking things? Might contact the ATF on superior firepower and how you should respond to that threat? Be nice if you're "firepower" always exceeded that which you might expect right? Maybe there's something new in KY about open carry and carbines. Just like hiring new employees......you gotta take them one at a time. For reality reasons......I do think you should skip my responses from now on. By the way......I didn't realize that was a forum option but I'll definitely look into it since there are many here that I think are ridiculous as well given a stable and somewhat educated mind.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Why write a sentence or two when two or three paragraphs will do...

mkh
    Easy. Duck and run.

I think it would depend. My SA would be up, and I may or may not leave. If they were acting strangely, I would definitely leave.

It would also depend on how they were carrying it. If it was in a sling, over their back, I would less likely to be spooked than if they were carrying it in some type of low-ready position.
    paramedic70002 and phreddy like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    I'd go the other way. It's a bit unusual in the context of existing carry norms.

Here's the point and I'll be done with it. We had a clown in my state who had a carry permit and made a point of using it to provoke people, especially law enforcement. He open carried in state parks with a pistol similar to the one that I just posted. Oh, but he painted the tip of his orange. He walked through Brentwood with a Navy Colt or something because he found a loophole in the law that allowed him to do it.

You can watch him in action here.

Haslam is now our governor. Embody finally got his permit revoked.

I am not opposed to open carry. I don't like jerks and you can be a jerk regardless of how you carry.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I think if I saw someone come in "loaded for bear", I'd react differently than I do to your 'normal' OCer. It's just too bulky to be convenient, so if someone's carrying something that big I feel that they're trying to make a point or they're preparing for something more than the soup of the day. If they're making a point by themselves with a long gun, I don't want to be associated with them.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    It depends-
    • Is it deer season?
    • Is it possibly someone on their way to kill hogs?
    • Maybe their on the way to kill a few yotes?

OC is illegal in my state. But, around my area we have a lot of hunters that use AR type firearms. (So, I really wouldn't be to worried.) However, if I see someone in a trench coat in the SC heat & humidity walking into the mall, I'm out of there.

Where do some people come up with this stuff?

Seriously, 15 post since 2010- Trolling are we?

-
    bmcgilvray and JDE101 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links