Why shouldn't we carry at school?!?!?!?!?

This is a discussion on Why shouldn't we carry at school?!?!?!?!? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I start work every morning checking my Yahoo mail and on the main page this is the story that was first. In a lot of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why shouldn't we carry at school?!?!?!?!?

I start work every morning checking my Yahoo mail and on the main page this is the story that was first. In a lot of states you can not carry on any campus. I think it sucks and this is why.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060914/...llege_shooting

VIP Member
    Very sad... and to think, someone _could_ have stopped it!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

That is so true, but at least in the US (in most states) you CAN own a handgun and carry it most places, unlike Canada. Like Washington, DC in Canada often only the criminals carry guns since they ignore the laws restricting it unlike the honest citizens who obey them at their own risk.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

It's a tough call. It's suggested that emotional development isn't completed until ~25yrs or so. If students were to carry, my guess is that the politicos would at least require beefed-up training in order to address this part of it. (All around, for everyone I'd hope, instead of the brief seminars often passing for training.) Personally, I'm for it. Win-win, particularly in such situations as this where one or two perps could quickly be taken down by carriers. Else, only the criminals are carrying.

Desertion in the face of the enemy, by our political types. There was a time when if you did this during war time in the field, you would get an all-expenses-paid trip to see mr. summary field execution. Perhaps the politicos should think hard about that, and why such a response was justified. Regardless, it's an irresponsible shame, to say the least.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Read my post on this subject on a different topic.

It *is* a tough call and there's a lot of factors to consider. One is the caliber of students you are dealing with.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

By contrast check this out:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapc...ion=cnn_latest

Seems to me Thailand of all places has figured out what the rest of the world can't seem to understand.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quiz: when was the last time anyone tried to take of an Israeli school??
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Senior Moderator
    Ans:

Right before the teachers started carrying guns at school?

In Washington State it is legal to have guns on the school grounds if it is for a seminar or class about guns. Maybe there should be a traveling seminar set up to familiarize Teachers and school officials with how guns operate and offer shooting classes free.

In Michigan, I can carry as long as I'm in the parking lot. The rest makes no sense to me. So, I can be responsible for my own safety in the parking lot, but not IN the school?

We gotta get rid of CEZs.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I am a teacher in a public high school. There are some idiots that I work with that I wouldn't trust to be able to lick a postage stamp much less handle a firearm. There are a select few though (including me!) that I would believe to be up to the task. I believe that a select few trusted and TRAINED teachers that carried concealed on campus could help to put an end to a Columbine Massacre before it got to out of hand. We do have two armed county sheriff deputies on our campus at most times. Although I do not and will not count on them to protect me, it is another level of security that many schools do not have.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I feel all teachers should be required to carry, after all they are protecting our kids while in school.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    I feel all teachers should be required to carry, after all they are protecting our kids while in school.
    Trust me you don't want every teacher carrying! I'm sure other public educators on the board will back me up when I say this. First of all, a few teachers on every staff are hardcore liberals that hate guns and see them as evil. You would have a better chance of selling ice water to Eskimos before you would ever change their minds. Some of these liberals are in positions of power and they make local school board policy. So once again another brickwall. Then there are others who I would not trust their judgement to carry. You see examples of that on the nightly news when a public school teacher has relations with one of their students. Thankfully, these types are few and far in between, but they do exist.

Like I posted above, a SELECT few from each school. These few should have to go through extensive training. The training should be up to date and like police officers, they should have to qualify ever so often.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I taught in public schools for a while and now at a university.

What follows is my opinion, as entitled by the 1st amendment:

Don't give the professors guns unless they already hunt! They are a less than stable group to begin with and arming them would be a dangerous thing! Probably give them some bullet-proof vests or such. I think pursuing a PhD causes brain damage in many of my colleagues.

Now, arming the secretaries, I.T. people, gardeners....THAT's a good idea. They at least are connected to the real world. Administrators...would be a tricky call.

I say this as a college professor...but one who has "seen the light" since his wife opened up a business and we both became armed and CCWs. Never was bothered by guns before, since my grandfather and I used to go plinking and "chucking" when I went to his place in the summers. And now I am in "mid-life crisis" enjoying every round that goes out the end with the hole in it.

[engage soapbox]
    On campus, you can't stop them at 20 ft. You can't use OC at that 5 ft range. You have to wait until their hands are on you and then the best you can do is zap 'em.

No wonder the crazies are shooting at schools & universities....safest place to find targets of opportunity
    [/end soapbox]
    Armed & Dangerous...and Inconspicuous...

Now I'm seeing it in a different light.......................we need new teachers.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links