Oklahoma Carry Question - Page 2

Oklahoma Carry Question

This is a discussion on Oklahoma Carry Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Understandable Gary, and I wasn't trying to slight you in any fashion. I understand your desire to not have someone quote you and say "Well ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Oklahoma Carry Question

Understandable Gary, and I wasn't trying to slight you in any fashion. I understand your desire to not have someone quote you and say "Well Gary said I could..."
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    No I did not feel slighted at all. This thread made me go looking again at the No Gun Signs in OK. That is good for me. I get tips on different things by reading threads and this is a discussion and that is how knowledge is spread. I want Handgunlaw.us to be 100% accurate but the nature of laws make that impossible. There are just some things you can't get a black and white answer for. No Gun Signs is just one area that is really very gray. I knew that when I decided to add that section. Like I stated I kicked that idea around for over 2 years before I added it. I knew there was going to be a lot of discussion about some states and there has been and there will be forever as there is no guaranteed answer that is 100% correct for some states.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

The law was written with conditions. If they intended to place all Government buildings off limits they would not have placed any conditions that must be met into the law. The condition they placed into the ban on carrying in a Government building was that it must be a building used for doing governmental business with the public. Ask yourself what business is the government doing with the public in this restroom. What business are the doing with the public in the livestock building at the state fair?

Point of interest. My local rifle club meets in a building owned by the government. This years Friends of the NRA meeting in a nearby town is being held in a government owned building. A local gun show was held in a government owned building.
    Common sense tells me that this shows that just being a government owned building does not preclude the possession of firearms.

Michael

A good place to look at the rest area would be the rules that are posted there. See if it mentions Firearms. That would give us more info on how the state is treating it.

As for meetings etc in government owned buildings the OK statutes state:

B. For purposes of paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 of subsection A of this section, the prohibited place
    does not include and specifically excludes the following property:
    4. Any property designated by a city, town, county, or state, governmental authority as a park,
    recreational area, or fairgrounds; provided, nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to authorize any
    entry by a person in possession of a concealed handgun into any structure, building, or office space which is
    specifically prohibited by the provisions of subsection A of this section.
    This might be why you can have your meeting etc. I don't know for sure. Not all buildings are off limits. Like I mentioned earlier do the OK welcome centers have workers employed there like most other states? Maybe only welcome centers would fall under the law and not just a regular rest area with no workers other than a janitor.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Important reminder is why do the laws ever leave 'grey areas'? So you're always subject to arrest no matter what and it all depends on the interpreter. I say speaky English in this country and you won't need an interpreter. Be prepared to prove that you made every attempt to abide by the laws as set forth in invisible ink on flash paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Important reminder is why do the laws ever leave 'grey areas'? So you're always subject to arrest no matter what and it all depends on the interpreter. I say speaky English in this country and you won't need an interpreter. Be prepared to prove that you made every attempt to abide by the laws as set forth in invisible ink on flash paper.
    Personally I do not interpret the portion of the law in question regarding government building to be a gray area. It clearly specifies that weapons are only banned in buildings used for the purpose of doing business with the public. The trouble comes when people only read the first part where it says firearms in government buildings are banned and leave out the part where it says the ban applies only to those buildings that are used for the purpose of doing business with the public.

As far as your point as to why laws are written with so many gray areas was one I posed to a State Senator here recently. His response was that the government needed to be given as much leeway as possible when interpreting the law. I voiced my opposition to this idea as the government should not be able to interpret or make up laws on the side of the road.

Michael

I have put an email into the OK SBI asking about Turn Outs, Rest Areas, Welcome Centers and Service Plazas. W I am very interested in what they will say.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Doing business. The laws can be read so many ways. Oklahoma Rest Areas | Interstate Rest Areas Thing is in OK there are 6 rest Areas and 4 Welcome Centers. There are 12 Service Plazas. There are 32 Turn Outs which are just parking areas. I am not sure if they have indoor restrooms or just Porta Johns. Of the 22 Areas with buildings 16 are Welcome Centers or Service plazas. In the Welcome Centers OK states there are staff to answer questions etc. So there are workers there. Service Plazas in OK I am not sure about but every other one I have been to in numerous other states have staff who do the same thing as in the Rest Areas but also have Gas/Restaurants etc. Does the OK Government own them? Are they leasing them out but still own them? I do know that the SDA states: 1. Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public;
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Gary,

Thanks for your diligence on this. At the travel plazas, they usually have a McD and gas station. I have used both and there was no sign visible. I have stopped at the Welcome centers and they have workers there sometime. The turnout/picnic areasdo have porta-potties (sometimes).

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    They were "posting" the bathrooms on Ks Hwy's, but don't know if they still are. Seemed really stupid....
    I don't know about you Eagle, But, If I got to go, I'm willing to pay the $50 fine.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links