Cobra Arms .22 mag derringer - thoughts?

This is a discussion on Cobra Arms .22 mag derringer - thoughts? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a NAA 22 but that thing is the dickens to shoot and it is easy to forget you have it in your pocket. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Cobra Arms .22 mag derringer - thoughts?

I have a NAA 22 but that thing is the dickens to shoot and it is easy to forget you have it in your pocket. I carried it to work one day and did not know I had it untill I reached for some change in my pocket. that could get you fired where I work.Now I stick with my LCP and the little 22 just stays in a desk.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If ur going to carry at least get something 32 caliber or bigger and makes sure its center fire.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

VIP Member
    Oddly, I can speak from recent experience with the Cobra .22 mag.

My son recently bought one, against my strong recommendation not to do so.

He got the stainless version, and it is pretty. The construction is also sturdy. Anything else nice that I have to say about it, stops there.

* The trigger pull is stiffer than a bear trap. I don't have the means to measure it, but it has to be well over 10 lbs.
    * By the time you're able to actuate the trigger, any chance that you're still on target is very slim.
    * The ejector slide doesn't work. The cases expand so that you have use a small dowel rod up the muzzle to eject them.
    * The safety has a tendency to slide over and brush against the hammer as it falls. When it does this, you will get a light strike that often will not fire the round.

My kid still thinks it's cool, and likes it. As a toy - well, whatever floats your boat. However, I would rather have a sturdy rock for self defense over this little gizmo.

VIP Member
    I have the 38 big bore Cobra. The trigger is very hard to pull if u don't follow the directions that come with the pistol. If u follow the directions it does release a lot better however it Is a stiff pull still but better. My crossbolt safety is very postive that does not move at all until pushed directly. This all said there are better pocket pistols of the same size and lighter with more rounds. But I see comments on different forums of people shooting plus P rounds out of them, dry firing them and then causing broken firing pins, thus complaining that theirs broke. If u follow directions and take care of ur weapons they will work. Myself I carry a SW 642 J frame because I want more then two shots. However some will not carry a revolver because of only 5 Or 6 shoots and want an auto loader. To each their own with what ur happy with. One more thing Iwas at a LGS one day and a guy was in there dry firing another gun that's not recommended dry firing with the LGS owner just standing there watching. He does not buy and u come in later an purchase the weapon as new not knowing its been dry fired, so now u have a damaged new weapon. That happens more times then we all know too. I'm Leary of purchasing weapons that have been laying in those glass counters being shown and handled a bunch of idiots. I usually have a dealer that I can trust that I buy my weapons and usually have them order new from the wholesaler. I've also seen idiots open revolver cylinders and either spin them or take their wrist an flip them back closed which is not good at all...
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

I have the unfortunate displeasure of owning one. J. U. N. K.
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

I had an American Derringer Model 1 years ago chambered in .410 / .45 Colt. It was a nicely built stainless with green laminated grips. A nice piece, but heavy. It did save my A** one night in a break in situation. Don't want to go into detail, but I traded it off because of the memory associated with it. Now that the years have passed, I kinda' wish I had it back again...Oh Well.

StarPD45
    Even a Keltec P-32 would be better.
    It's one of my BUGs and disappears in a pocket, with a holster, of course.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I purchased a 22lr revolver,5 shot.I throw it in my pocket when I carry my ruger 380.Sometimes I carry three small ones for summer carry.My s&w Bodyguard 38spl,RugerLCP380,and my little 22lr revolver;total round count for all three 17.Winter carry glock 17 with one in pipe 18 rounds. I must admit I purchased this one after seeing a fellow squad member showing me his 22mag for carry.My littke gun is a hoot to shoot and with occastional practice I can hit my target with little effort.

Quote Originally Posted by grnwdjsn View Post
    Thanks for the input all. I bought a Taurus PT709 for CC IWB - I was hoping it would make a good pocket gun, but it is a little too big. I love the gun, just looking for a smaller option. I like the NAA Guardian .380. Thanks for suggesting NAA....
    Masterpiece Arms MPA380B-II

The size of a Seecamp 32. Half the cost of a Seecamp 380. Mine is very reliable. Double action safety. Ported barrel makes for reduced recoil. Good accuracy. A legitimate, no exageration, easy pocket carry 380. I love mine.

40+ years experience with combat and civilian guns and shooting. One of the few members of gun forums who actually fired a shot in anger and be shot at. Much of what you read in gun forums is pure opinion based on beliefs and information read which may or may not be true or 100% accurate. Heck, most posts are from people that even held the gun you are talking about. :)

So here is goes. Some informed advice based on experience. I own a Cobra Derringer in .22 mag, for my Old West display in my man cave where it sits with a Colt SAA. I shot it a few times at the range. I have also owned a Bond Arms Derringer in .410 at one time. I would never carry the Cobra. First off most will carry it in their pocket and like my cousin found out last week when I badgered him to try drawing his "pocket rocket" from his front pants pocket, he could not do so seated, while laying down (easily) or when I had him in a bear hug or was twisting his body so that his pockets tightened. He immediately understood what I was saying about not thinking that he could bring a belly gun carried in his pocket into play for the times he thought he would need one. Recent events in his church also made him understand that his mental picture of when he would possibly need a gun does not control reality. He was only prepared for self defense at arms length and learned that threats come from further away a lot of times. Smart criminals do not get into touching distance unless they are unarmed and he learned that criminals carry guns and knives too and threaten you from halfway across a room in a church.

After some training I also showed him that while in a car he would be shooting through glass unless he would first ask the carjacker to wait while he rolled down his window. I also timed him from the word go to the time he was able to pull his Cobra, cock it (which often was diffcult depending on how he held it) and then find the saftey which was inapproiately placed on the right side instead of under the thumb to take off safe. I showed him how it only took me 3 seconds to reach him from 7 yards away and he realized that he would be dead before he could bring his gun into play.

In summary, after training shooters for so many years there are many who just want to feel safe or protect themselves from whatever they fear. I had one guy who only wanted to carry a gun when walking from his car to a hotel during business trips. He did not carry at other times. Everyone has a mental picture in their heads of their own gunfight but reality is very different. I know becaues I experienced it. Makes no sense to buy a gun, no matter how cheap, that is only effective in a limited number of situations. That is not being safe. That is easing your fears but no real protection.

VIP Member
    If you need something very small I am (also) for the NAA 22Mag with 5 shot revolver.
    Not very accurate or fun to shoot but its better than nothing and well made. It is an option at times. I would rather have at least a 9mm on me but it is better than nothing. I certainly would not want to get shot by it.
    Pay the extra for the NAA

VIP Member
    Always remember shoot center mass and shoot until the threat stops. Get a service caliber gun that u can get familiar with in the dark and practice with it. Be aware of gun grabs and situation awareness around you at all times. IMHO get u a good J frame size revolver such as a 642. Simple operation and fast to get in action service caliber round for the expert and for a beginner.
    -Thomas Jefferson
    -Samuel Adams

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I too considered derringers and NAA minis. But I decided that my G27 was small enough.
    Richard58 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by grnwdjsn View Post
    I have been considering the purchase of a derringer in either .22 mag or .32 - I have looked at a few and like what I see from Cobra. Does anyone have thoughts on this? In regards to either Cobra or the CC of a derringer. Mostly will use it as a second or something while I am jogging or going out to get mail etc..
    I have three of them- two are 22 mag and a 32. I have shot all of them without any problems. I keep one in each of my vehicles as a quick get away from my car gun. I will have my EDC with me, but can reach these I can use quickly.

I am of a different opinion of derringers. Let me explain:

Basically, I wanted a tiny pistol as a BUG and for those situations where you really can't have anything but TRUE a pocket pistol on you.

I went to a local place where they had a few pocket pistols. My first instinct was the LCP. I put it in my pocket (after letting the guy know what I was doing of course) and was actually surprised at how it didn't "disappear" in the pocket quite like I thought it would. Something that thin and small, and even it, on a 6'2" guy with loose jeans, could be seen easily enough. That's when I started to realize that to conceal a pocket carry, as long as it's "thin enough" and "short enough", the thickness and length then aren't the main concerns, the tallness is. Sitting down it was like someone traced a little pistol outline on my jeans because of the way the grip pulled the pocket slightly more taught over it.

Then I tried a derringer. Completely different story. It was a tiny bit thicker, but the way it was shaped worked very well for pocket carry. There's a bit of a lump like the LCP made, but it looks completely harmless as opposed to the outline the LCP was giving. It could be anything from a phone to a ring of keys. My wife literally doesn't even know I own it, yet I've been carrying it in my pocket for quite some time. Now that's the concealed pocket carry I was looking for.

It's a gun for backup or for ensuring that I carry even in situations where I might not have otherwise. For both those purposes concealment in a pocket comes before capacity. I'd rather have the 2 shot derringer than the LCP I left at home because I wasn't as confident in pocket concealing it in a situation where I absolutely COULD NOT afford to get made. And if it's a situation where it doesn't have to be pocket carry...then I'm gonna carry something IWB that's better than an LCP!

Basically to me it seems that where the LCP shines is being pretty good for both. An LCP is an adequate concealer in the pocket. And it's also an adequate gun for a main that you could have IWB or something. So if you wanted 1 gun to play dual roles, nothing would do it better.

However, I have fantastic IWB pistols that I'd carry over the LCP in situations where that will work for me. And the derringer conceals better in the pocket for situations where it absolutely has to be a hidden pocket pistol. So for me, since the entire point was absolute deep concealment in a pocket, the derringer won.

---

About the derringers: I tried 2 derringers. One was the cobra .22 mag (like you're looking at) and the other was a davis .38 special. I have NO IDEA what people complain about with the cobra triggers. It was extremely short and crisp, and while not a feather pull, it was not bad at all. I was pleasantly surprised at how NICE the trigger pull was compared to what I expected. The davis was a bit harder pull, but still doable, and it's not like they're rapid fire or long range precision anyway, so it didn't bother me in the slightest. Both felt solid and well made in the hand. I went with the davis for caliber alone, I like the idea of .38 special in a true deep concealment pocket pistol.

As for pulling the hammer: practice and it's not a big deal. I stuck it in my pocket unloaded for a couple days (before even buying .38 ammo to make sure it couldn't be accidentally loaded), and every few minutes (when alone...) I'd reach in, cock it one handed, pull it out and dry fire it. It was a bit awkward at first, but it took not even a day until it was quite smooth and natural.

I've heard about durability issues with the cobras. I guess I don't know. But after shooting and incessantly dry firing my davis (the older version of cobra, cobra bought davis and continued making the same thing but with their name on it) it shows no sign of slowing down, and honestly it's so simple that I'm not sure how it could. As you use it, it feels like the type of gun that's gonna shoot forever. But to be fair, all I can really say is that mine is reliable, only time tells for you. Honestly I don't fully trust pocket autos, so I personally count that as a check in the derringer category. But others feel the other way around.

Safety: like with any other gun it's extremely unsafe if you carry it wrong, and safe if you do it right. You have to train yourself to always have the thing on half-cock...not only when carrying but even when just closing the breech on live rounds. Half-cock is different in that the trigger is NOT usable in half-cock, and cannot drop the hammer, it only works once fully cocked. So it is safe; in fact if you want to fully decock it (like if it's empty) then you have to pull it back to fully cocked first, it cannot drop from half-cocked even if you want it to. I attempted many ways to get the gun to fail and drop hammer (when empty of course) when I first got it and had no issue. I am now very confident in its safety when used properly.

Heaviness: don't worry about it. It is metal, so heavier for it's size than a polymer anything. But it's not any amount of weight that makes any sort of problem. I can wear it in pocket without a belt easy, and often forget it's there. In fact, I often go into a store and stand with my hand it my pockets at the cash register...then quickly think of how stupid I'm being when I realize I have my hand in my pocket over a gun in front of a store clerk! I really got to quit that habit...

If you're looking for something versatile that can be pocket when you need it and can be a normal carry other times when you want that...go LCP. If you already have a good EDC and just want to add that truly concealed pocket ability to it, consider a derringer.

Personally, I would say go bigger than .22 mag though. The idea behind a derringer is gaining concealeablility, sacrificing capacity, but making the capacity sacrifice not as big a deal by having a decent caliber that has good chances of getting it done in 1 or 2. .22 mag is ok, but something a bit bigger fits that bill in a more useful way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links