Cobra Arms .22 mag derringer - thoughts?

This is a discussion on Cobra Arms .22 mag derringer - thoughts? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been considering the purchase of a derringer in either .22 mag or .32 - I have looked at a few and like what ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Cobra Arms .22 mag derringer - thoughts?

I have been considering the purchase of a derringer in either .22 mag or .32 - I have looked at a few and like what I see from Cobra. Does anyone have thoughts on this? In regards to either Cobra or the CC of a derringer. Mostly will use it as a second or something while I am jogging or going out to get mail etc..

I wouldn't trust anything from Cobra arms,Jennings,Bryco and several other "cheap/junk" pistols with my life.
    Guest1, rglyons and The Old Anglo like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    junk at any price is still junk

which is what you may be shooting if you carry it mexican style
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

They are not as small as you think. They are not very lightweight. The build quality feels really cheap when you touch one. If you want the smallest gun then North American Arms 5 shot 22 mag / lr combo is smaller and lighter than the deringers. The NAA has a very nice quality build. You have 5 shots as well. The reason the Cobra costs less is because it is much lower quality.
    Gav1230, BradL and gun_bushido like this.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecucmgt View Post
    They are not as small as you think. They are not very lightweight. The build quality feels really cheap when you touch one. If you want the smallest gun then North American Arms 5 shot 22 mag / lr combo is smaller and lighter than the deringers. The NAA has a very nice quality build. You have 5 shots as well. The reason the Cobra costs less is because it is much lower quality.
    Exactly.

Also, look at the size of the casings on .22lrs and .32s. It's about the same size. Why would you want something for defense that shoots a larger projectile with the same amount of powder used to shoot a smaller/lighter projectile?

Really though, the little NAA pocket guns are the best option when looking for something that small. I picked up a Taurus PT22 for right at $200, simply because it has 9 shots, and it's easier for me to handle. (And it's not a single action revolver that would be too small for a 7 year old's hands)

I still want one. But, I found something that fit my needs better.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Methinks you are curious about the firearm and that old western times poker game scenario. I was intrigued for awhile and really wanted one and then common sense grabbed me and now I have one of those little 380s that really make sense. If you want it "just because", I can understand that "feeling"; if you really want it for some form of self defense you can do a lot better in a small firearm.
    WHEC724 and RichB70 like this.

You'd probably be a whole lot better off with one of the small, light, and flat micro .380s, such as the Ruger LCP.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have one it is a fun toy but !! It takes too long to cock the hammer for self defense and it's only two shots....with a long reload time...if I was going mouse gun get at least 32 acp or 380 acp and u then have a larger caliber in a center fire in the same size firearm with more bullets in something like a keltec or ruger .....anymore need to be said...
    accessbob likes this.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Thanks for the input all. I bought a Taurus PT709 for CC IWB - I was hoping it would make a good pocket gun, but it is a little too big. I love the gun, just looking for a smaller option. I like the NAA Guardian .380. Thanks for suggesting NAA....

bond arms 410/45 long colt
    gun_bushido likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rcj50 View Post
    bond arms 410/45 long colt
    I have one of those they are nice but a bit too large to really consider in the context I say the naa revolvers are pretty nice and there are several good pocket pistols on the market but cobras kinda suck if you want cheap go with a high point they are decent and shoot well with FMJ ammo but are quite bulky for small get a naa pug or a ruger lcp.
    Gav1230 likes this.

You may also like to consider a Ruger LCP in .380. It will virtually disappear in a pocket or waistband.
    Yeah, My old CCW 9 MM is nicknamed "Barkey"
    New CCW LCP is "Elsie"
    and my 12 Ga S x S Coach gun is "Boomer"
    Wife's weapon is "Miss Pearl" (SP101 .357 w/mother of pearl inserts)
    We're old so we can get away with that.

Too many good options out there. Don't waste your time and money. Get a j-frame or LCP.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

All I heard was Cobra. Now I can't stop shaking my head. Pure junk, IMO.

If you want a good pocket gun, look at the S&W Bodyguard or the Ruger LCP. I carry a Bodyguard in my pocket all the time. Light, concealable, comfortable, and best of all, it's not junk.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Also, look at the size of the casings on .22lrs and .32s. It's about the same size. Why would you want something for defense that shoots a larger projectile with the same amount of powder used to shoot a smaller/lighter projectile?
    .22lr began as a black powder round, so comparing case capacity to .32 auto, which was developed as smokeless, is a moot point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links