Shield 9 and King Tuck-Florida Trip Report

This is a discussion on Shield 9 and King Tuck-Florida Trip Report within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Headed out at 2:00am Friday morning for Pensacola. Drove through Kentucky and Tennessee to stopped over in Hoover Alabama. We stayed at a hotel near ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Shield 9 and King Tuck-Florida Trip Report

Headed out at 2:00am Friday morning for Pensacola. Drove through Kentucky and Tennessee to stopped over in Hoover Alabama. We stayed at a hotel near the Galleria. Beautiful area. First time in Alabama.

Was not legal until I crossed the Illinois border and didn't trap my Shield 9 on until we stopped in Nashville for breakfast. I used a Blackhawk flat belt nylon OWB for the first part of the day. I also brought my King Tuck that I bought for my M&P compacts but seemed really tight so I never wore it. Sat in my closet unused until I got my 9 and 40 Shield. Fits like a glove.

After a 10 hour drive we checked into the hotel in Hoover and headed over to the mall with my wife and two college aged daughters. Still wearing my flat belt. Was wearing jean shorts and polo. The holster is very comfortable but felt I was being watched...my one daughter said she couldn't tell I was carrying but I did have a bulge. I drove back to the hotel and picked up my King Tuck. Again, been carrying concealed for a few years and never felt comfortable with an IWB holster...but I never really gave it much of a chance. I put on the King Tuck at the 3:30-4:00 position. Again a little uncomfortable but my girls said they couldn't see a thing. This was around 2:00pm. I wore the KT the rest of the day and didn't take it off until 10:00...long day. Love it! My anxiety of folks thinking I'm carrying and feeling those eyes pierce through me were gone.

Today we are heading out to Pensacola where we will be staying at a beach resort. Plan on wearing the KT all day. will provide an update.
    archertom and sensei2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisCCW View Post
    Headed out at 2:00am Friday morning for Pensacola. Drove through Kentucky and Tennessee to stopped over in Hoover Alabama. We stayed at a hotel near the Galleria. Beautiful area. First time in Alabama.

Was not legal until I crossed the Illinois border and didn't trap my Shield 9 on until we stopped in Nashville for breakfast. I used a Blackhawk flat belt nylon OWB for the first part of the day. I also brought my King Tuck that I bought for my M&P compacts but seemed really tight so I never wore it. Sat in my closet unused until I got my 9 and 40 Shield. Fits like a glove.

After a 10 hour drive we checked into the hotel in Hoover and headed over to the mall with my wife and two college aged daughters. Still wearing my flat belt. Was wearing jean shorts and polo. The holster is very comfortable but felt I was being watched...my one daughter said she couldn't tell I was carrying but I did have a bulge. I drove back to the hotel and picked up my King Tuck. Again, been carrying concealed for a few years and never felt comfortable with an IWB holster...but I never really gave it much of a chance. I put on the King Tuck at the 3:30-4:00 position. Again a little uncomfortable but my girls said they couldn't see a thing. This was around 2:00pm. I wore the KT the rest of the day and didn't take it off until 10:00...long day. Love it! My anxiety of folks thinking I'm carrying and feeling those eyes pierce through me were gone.

Today we are heading out to Pensacola where we will be staying at a beach resort. Plan on wearing the KT all day. will provide an update.
    Mandatory repost:

JeanShorts.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Mandatory repost:

JeanShorts.jpg
    That's hilarious. Showed it to my wife...she is still laughing. Not sure any type of holster will hide in that situation.

Mac, you owe me a new monitor....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Dude. I'm sorry but I'm still laughing. I really set myself up for that one. It's even funnier to my wife. You have to know me because I'm everything that pic is not. Was military SF. 6' 2" 225 lbs and big into fitness. She is sending the pic to her friends now. Thanks Mac!!!

Seems to me that jean shorts may be the ultimate deterrent. Cheaper than guns too. An old pair of wranglers and some scissors will frighten even the most hardened criminals.

So much for a trip report. I can see this going in a completely different direction. Whatever that may be its more interesting than me talking about our Florida trip. So I say keep it going and see where it takes us.

I have to say this pic isn't as bad as the idiot who wore the speedo with a tucked in beater to the pool. This happened last year while in the Dominican Republic. My daughters took pics of that one. My eyes bled for a week.

Have a great trip and stay safe out there!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

mkh
    I too am not a fan of IWB as they irritate me. I had a KingTuk for my XDm but it really hurt my hip. I have one that is smaller for my Sig 1911 Ultra and i love it. Probably because it is smaller. The KT is a thick holster and needs to be worn for several days so that it contures to your shape. After that they are more comfortable.
    archertom and sixgun like this.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Good to hear about the holster, I for one need eye bleach but really appreciate you taking the time to tell your story - been eyeing one up for a few days and may try it out.

Good to hear it fits both the 9c and Shield (at least that's what I got out of your post).

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Good to hear about the holster, I for one need eye bleach but really appreciate you taking the time to tell your story - been eyeing one up for a few days and may try it out.

Good to hear it fits both the 9c and Shield (at least that's what I got out of your post).
    Yep. I think it's a really tight fit with my M&P compacts. Had a hard time removing and re-holstering. The Shield fits like a glove...like it was made for it . Sitting in the restaurant at Portofino now...don't even notice the KT. I'm sold.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Mandatory repost:

JeanShorts.jpg

AARGHHHHH!!!!! MY EYES! MY EYES!

Used to live in Hoover, still work near the Galleria, and it is indeed a nice area. However, it can indeed be dangerous. During the holidays we always have robberies in the parking lot area. Most people in Alabama won't even notice a gun, and if they see it, won't care anyways. We are very pro gun and most of the LEO's in the area are cool about it as well. Open carry would have been legal without a permit as long as you didn't drive. Anyways, congrats and I love my king tuck too.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Used to live in Hoover, still work near the Galleria, and it is indeed a nice area. However, it can indeed be dangerous. During the holidays we always have robberies in the parking lot area. Most people in Alabama won't even notice a gun, and if they see it, won't care anyways. We are very pro gun and most of the LEO's in the area are cool about it as well. Open carry would have been legal without a permit as long as you didn't drive. Anyways, congrats and I love my king tuck too.
    Unfortunately even the nice areas are having increased problems. We will visiting the Hoover area again.

First day done at the Portofino in Pensacola Beach. Another very nice area. Overall no issues with CCW. Very touristy area and. It sure how comfortable I am her with carrying all the time. This area has the potential of getting rough due to the party atmosphere...probably more reason to carry. Again KT a great choice for the Shield.

Well, as long as you don't wear those shorts send me a PM if you RON in Hoover on the way home. The mall is around the corner from me. Glad you had a good trip down.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links