Influencing Opinions

Influencing Opinions

This is a discussion on Influencing Opinions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In a discussion with a co-worker that I am acquainted with (we talk several times a week in the cafeteria), he told me he was ...

Like Tree21Likes
  • 19 Post By BugDude
  • 1 Post By Brass63
  • 1 Post By Dandyone

Thread: Influencing Opinions

Influencing Opinions

In a discussion with a co-worker that I am acquainted with (we talk several times a week in the cafeteria), he told me he was moving to a state and area in which I used to live. He was asking me about what kind of place it and the surrounding areas were. While the main area he will be living is nice, I informed him of some of the places to avoid and why. I shared some of my experiences and shared that if I were him I would consider getting his CHP and a firearm if he is considering going to the eastern and central rural areas of that state or to a neighboring urban area.

He said that he has never had or fired a gun in his life and he is against guns. He then said, "I'm not a violent person." I replied, "I've been around guns my entire life and I'm not a violent person either. I've never shot anyone and hope I never am in a position to have to. But just because I'm not a violent person doesn't mean others we encounter aren't. We see it everyday here where we work. Hopefully all of mine will just be used to put holes in paper, but when it comes to protecting myself and my family, I want to be prepared in case I have no other choice."

It was suddenly like a light went off. He started asking me questions about revolvers versus autos, carry laws, how to get a permit, etc. I told him that the best thing he could do is contact a range and get a good education and training before he does anything. Then he would be better informed as to what is right for him. By education and training I talked about not only physical training with firearms, but education with regards to the laws, situational awareness, etc. In the end, I told him that he is the only one that can decide if it is right for him or not. Having the education, training, permit, and hardware at least gives him the option if he so desires. I said, "Buying a gun no more makes you defended than buying a piano makes you a musician. You have to have the knowledge and ability and then practice."

In the end, he thanked me repeatedly for helping him develop a healthier perspective on firearms. He said he would like to return to our facility to work in a few years after his training in the new state is complete and he wants to keep in touch. I gave him my e-mail address and told him to have safe travels and I hope to see him again.

I thought this was a pretty good outcome. Whether he decides to do it himself or not, hopefully he has a better understanding of those who choose to exercise their right to keep and bear arms and has a better perspective on it. That's the main thing.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Well done! Seems you at least had an open-minded person to deal with. Open their eyes, point them in the right direction, then let them make up their own minds.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Good job I hope he does follow up with this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I replied ... "I've never shot anyone and hope I never am in a position to have to. But just because I'm not a violent person doesn't mean others we encounter aren't. Hopefully all of mine will just be used to put holes in paper, but when it comes to protecting myself and my family, I want to be prepared in case I have no other choice."

If the simple simplicity of that reality didn't do the trick, then nothing would have. Great job on helping a rational person become a practical realist about an important decision of safety and security each person must answer.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If your co-worker uses your advice correctly, he may just call and thank you for saving his life...one never knows.

Hey BugDude, I'm finally retiring for the second time, followed by a hip replacement (the warranty must be up on this old body) in about six weeks...we'll have to cross paths for lunch some time.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    you did well to send him off with some insight about doing vs knowing.

amazing how simple guns are that people with little or no experience have successfully defended themself with them,
    ...well, those we read about

for the most of us, some formal instruction is needed.

you hit on all the high points and he will be fine if he folllows through.
    just add in some form of martial arts for a season or two.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If your co-worker uses your advice correctly, he may just call and thank you for saving his life...one never knows.

Hey BugDude, I'm finally retiring for the second time, followed by a hip replacement (the warranty must be up on this old body) in about six weeks...we'll have to cross paths for lunch some time.

ret
    I've passed through your neck of the woods a few times lately coming and going with my FIL's illness. PM me and maybe next Saturday or the following I can drive up for a range session and lunch or dinner. I'm baching it for the next few weeks, so I've got my get out and about shoes on. Let me know.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Great job!
    Changing minds...even if it's one at a time...can change everything.
    CDW4ME likes this.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    "Buying a gun no more makes you defended than buying a piano makes you a musician. You have to have the knowledge and ability and then practice."
    BugDude, you WILL be quoted
    SwatMedic338 likes this.

Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

good work, nicely done.

Bugdude,
    To quote an old tv show, "you make my heart soar like an eagle!"

Winning hearts and minds is what it's all about!

One rational person at a time, we can change peoples outlook about whether those of us who carry are vigilantes looking to "put bodies on our guns"; or just ordinary folks who want to try to save ourselves and our loved ones from harm in an ever increasingly violent world.

Great job!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Sponsored Links