College orientation yesterday (transfer students) college ccw carry

This is a discussion on College orientation yesterday (transfer students) college ccw carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Chad Rogers I don't at all see what the original poster says is the case. His 'read' is that he's able to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: College orientation yesterday (transfer students) college ccw carry

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    I don't at all see what the original poster says is the case.
    His 'read' is that he's able to carry concealed. But it's going to come down to interpretation of the school's "unauthorized" lingo, methinks.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckingba11 View Post
    Isn't it a federal law that denies carrying in school zones? In that case it doesn't really matter what the school says. That's what I was told by my ccw instructor. If not then more power to you, I'm jealous.Check and see if you have a chapter/club of Concealed Campus at your school. If that's even still a thing, I haven't heard anything from them in awhile.
    GFSZ only applies to elementary and secondary schools. Does not apply to college.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

I wouldn't interpret any of that to say that your university allows general conceal carry on campus.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
    Students who have sporting, hunting, recreational or target weapons...
    I don't see anything about a concealed carry permit. This seems to be talking about everything else.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

(Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    The following is from the UA Student Handbook that is on-line right now. Student Handbook

J. Student Safety
    1. Students at the University have the responsibility to help contribute to the safety and security of the campus. Therefore, individuals and organizations should take reasonable precautions for the safety and well being of all members of the University community.
    2. Possession of firearms, ammunition, and weapons by students is not allowed on campus. The University of Alabama Police Department will register and store guns for students.
    3. Students should expect disciplinary action to be taken against them by University, criminal justice authorities, or both, if they:
    a. Throw objects into or from University facilities.
    b. Misuse fire or other life safety equipment.
    c. Use or improperly possess ammunition, firearms, or weapons on University property.
    d. Conduct themselves in a manner that endangers the health and safety of other persons on campus.
    OP, I think the adminstration has made their stance perfectly clear. This is why they are not receiving my previously-generous contributions until they fix this issue.

Also, the first bolded point seems like a Catch-22. Unless they moved the cop shop since I was there got out in '80, it is on campus. Not to mention the problems with registering your weapons. I would either get an off-campus apartment or leave the weapons in dad's safe.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhamrichard View Post
    I think your interpreting it wrong. According to what I'm reading, your welcome to bring your authorized weapon, straight to the campus police for storage while your there.
    That's how I read it as well...
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhamrichard View Post
    I think your interpreting it wrong. According to what I'm reading, your welcome to bring your authorized weapon, straight to the campus police for storage while your there.
    I thought I was the only one who went "huh?" when I read the thread. If you understand english, as spelled out in the school's guide that you quoted, it is clear that you are not being given permission to go CC or OC on campus. Certainly you should check same and be sure who is giving you the advice so that you do not end up with a potential felony.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    OP, the section you provided completely omits "on campus self defense" which could be argued allows such, until you get to post #20.

ksholster for the win.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Hypothetically speaking. WHAT would happen if you were discovered carrying on campus, granted you are in a carry state and have a permit? (What charges). God forbid, what if a shooting occurred on campus, and you saved lives?

Just a FYI for me.
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

Quote Originally Posted by hinkleid View Post
    Hypothetically speaking. WHAT would happen if you were discovered carrying on campus, granted you are in a carry state and have a permit? (What charges). God forbid, what if a shooting occurred on campus, and you saved lives?

Just a FYI for me.
    Chages? Probably none, as it seems it a legal activity, by state law.

Administratively ,the university could well give him the boot. That's the norm most everywhere state law does not explicitly prohibit campus carry, but universities are allowed to prohibit it.
    hinkleid likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
    So I did my transfer orientation yesterday at UA. according to their guide there is nothing wrong with a licensed person cc or OC on campus. I will post a picture of it but here is the quote:

" WEAPON POLICY ON CAMPUS

Illegal or unauthorized possession of firearms ammunition, explosives, other weapons, or dangerous chemicals by students on University property is not allowed as indicated in the UA Student Code of Conduct. However, Students who have sporting, hunting, recreational or target weapons for off campus use may bring the item to UAPD for registration and free storage. Students are asked to bring proper identification, pistol permit (if applicable), the unloaded weapon and ammunition in a secure storage container. The check-in service is available 24 hours a day. "

according to this since I have my permit I can carry on Campus.

Also in their "personal conduct" booklet it states

"D. offenses Disrupting Order or Disregarding Health and Safety

#3 Illegal or unauthorized possession of firearms, explosives, other weapons, or dangerous chemicals on University premises"

Interesting to say the leastAttachment 59943
    That does not say you can carry on campus. It says, bring your permit when you bring the gun to them for storage.

Fitch
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

So, two days ago our OP posted that He could carry on university grounds...

IMO, (and that of many others who can read for comprehension on this site) he's wrong.

So, where'd he go?
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

I believe this started when I was in school from 2003-2007. I beleive at that time it was illegal to have any firearms on campus period. I dabbled with joining a Trap/Skeet shooting club and I remember it was an issue because some of the guys lived on campus and couldn't store their shotguns on campus. I didn't keep up with the issue very closely because I lived off campus but I remember some of the guys trying to work something out with the University, maybe this rule is a result of their efforts. I would not read this as being ok to carry on campus. You should call UAPD and talk to a supervisor or somebody higher up.

Check with the Alabama Attorney General if you really want to know the real answers. I know two things: 1. The Tuscaloosa county sheriff is not a fan of younger people having a CCW (especially students) and 2. he is the one who issues permits.

I am a HUGE Alabama fan and have been all my life. But I would never send my 19 year old daughter there for college. Tuscaloosa is a pretty violent town when you get off campus.

75 days 8 hours and counting to kickoff! ROLL TIDE!

Does State Law provide the University the legal backing for this, or is it (like here) a matter of being dismissed and losing your tuition?

If it's a legal matter, check your firearm at the gate. If it's a trespass matter, you need to evaluate your concealment options and the value of self-protection compared to lost tuition and importance of that particular school.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links