College orientation yesterday (transfer students) college ccw carry

This is a discussion on College orientation yesterday (transfer students) college ccw carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by livewire9880 If it's a legal matter, check your firearm at the gate. If it's a trespass matter, you need to evaluate your ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: College orientation yesterday (transfer students) college ccw carry

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    If it's a legal matter, check your firearm at the gate. If it's a trespass matter, you need to evaluate your concealment options and the value of self-protection compared to lost tuition and importance of that particular school.
    ... as well as the history of having been ousted for "firearms-related" cause, at least from the perspective on any new school at which one is considering admission.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    I'm no lawyer, but these 4 words give me pause.
    Ding ding ding, we have a weiner!

If I see a bear trap in the woods, I'm not gonna walk over and stick my foot in it just to see if it still works.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Ding ding ding, we have a weiner!

If I see a bear trap in the woods, I'm not gonna walk over and stick my foot in it just to see if it still works.
    Where's your sense of adventure?
    JoeK likes this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    ... as well as the history of having been ousted for "firearms-related" cause, at least from the perspective on any new school at which one is considering admission.
    When I read this thread I am reminded of the VA Tech shooting. Victims were nothing more than defenseless random targets. I would like to at least have a fair chance to fight back had I been there. If you remember, the campus security and police did very little other than spectate.
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

Quote Originally Posted by hinkleid View Post
    When I read this thread I am reminded of the VA Tech shooting. Victims were nothing more than defenseless random targets. I would like to at least have a fair chance to fight back had I been there. If you remember, the campus security and police did very little other than spectate.
    That's why you don't see me applying there... from my understanding the campus firearms ban in Virgina carries the force of law. They just had a student body vote to overturn it, and the initiative failed.

Well, that, and it's on the other side of the country from where I live
    hinkleid likes this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Regardless of the advice anyone feels the need to provide, the ONLY advice that is trustworthy is that of the school administration.

My OPINION, is that concealed carry on campus remains forbidden, after reading and rereading their regulation. HOWEVER, if you would like to investigate further, contact the administration and ask them VERY DIRECT questions. If you get the answer you want, GET IT IN WRITING.

The attorney general can tell you the common laws or general statutes involved, but the university can still expel you for breaking their regulation (which may not be a criminal offense).

IE. Check first, get answer in writing, do not carry on campus until you have an answer in writing which clearly states that it is permitted.

I live in North Carolina, the law here states clearly that it is unlawful to carry ANY weapon [licensed or unlicensed] on the grounds of ANY educational facility.
    NH_Esau likes this.

VIP Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by iaresev View Post
    I live in North Carolina, the law here states clearly that it is unlawful to carry ANY weapon [licensed or unlicensed] on the grounds of ANY educational facility.
    In NC, isn't that redundant as they charge admission?

BTW, welcome aboard!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by iaresev View Post
    Alabama law actual states a licensed person can carry on school grounds as long as the do not intend to do harm. State law also says that the State shall have ultimate say and that state law trumps local laws. So I think (again, not a lawyer) it is perfectly legal for a guy like me to carry on UA property as long as I do not intend to do harm, however I am not a student so they can't kick me out.

EDIT: I'm sorry, it actually says a "school" is k-12. Here you go....still can't find anything on colleges though.

Section 13A-11-72
    Premises of a public school. The term "public school" as used in this section applies only to a school composed of grades K-12 and shall include a school bus used for grades K-12
    (c) Subject to the exceptions provided by Section 13A-11-74, no person shall knowingly with intent to do bodily harm carry or possess a deadly weapon on the premises of a public school.
    (d) Possession of a deadly weapon with the intent to do bodily harm on the premises of a public school in violation of subsection (c) of this section is a Class C felony.
    (e) Law enforcement officers are exempt from this section, and persons with pistol permits issued pursuant to Section 13A-11-75, are exempt from the provisions of subsection (c) of this section.

Additionally I found this:

under Title 18 Section 922 (q), the so called Gun Free School Zone law, it states:

(1) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone. Exception: This does not include possession of a firearm on private property that is not part of school grounds or possession of a loaded firearm by an individual who is licensed to do so by the State. (i.e. a concealed carry, weapon, or firearm permit).

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Additionally I found this:

under Title 18 Section 922 (q), the so called Gun Free School Zone law, it states:

(1) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone. Exception: This does not include possession of a firearm on private property that is not part of school grounds or possession of a loaded firearm by an individual who is licensed to do so by the State. (i.e. a concealed carry, weapon, or firearm permit).
    As someone mentioned before, GFSA only applies to primary and secondary schools, meaning K-12... so if we're talking college/universities, it need not even be brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    In NC, isn't that redundant as they charge admission?

BTW, welcome aboard!
    This is true! Haha

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckingba11 View Post
    Isn't it a federal law that denies carrying in school zones?
    No, it only denies people who do NOT have a license as issued by the state that you are in.

That's what I was told by my ccw instructor.
    Your instructor better read the law again and pay close attention to the wording in 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44 (The Gun Control Act of 1968):

F) the occurrence of violent crime in school zones has resulted in a decline in the quality of education in our country;
    (G) this decline in the quality of education has an adverse impact on interstate commerce and the foreign commerce of the United States;

(H) States, localities, and school systems find it almost impossible to handle gun-related crime by themselves; even States, localities, and school systems that have made strong efforts to prevent, detect, and punish gun-related crime find their efforts unavailing due in part to the failure or inability of other States or localities to take strong measures; and

(I) Congress has power, under the interstate commerce clause and other provisions of the Constitution, to enact measures to ensure the integrity and safety of the Nation’s schools by enactment of this subsection.

(2)
    ...(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

...(B) Subparagraph (A) shall not apply to the possession of a firearm

......(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
    ......(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that,
    before an individual obtain such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is
    qualified under law to receive the license;
    ......(iii) which is – (<<<<<-------This starts a new part not applicable to subsection ii - this is my comment)
    ............(I) not loaded; and
    ............(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack which is on a
    motor vehicle;
    ......(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
    ......(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into
    between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer
    of the individual;
    ......(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official
    capacity; or
    ......(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while
    traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public
    or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is
    authorized by school authorities.

And the GFSA as mentioned a couple of posts before mine.
    Last edited by accessbob; June 19th, 2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: add additional at the bottom about the GFSA
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I know in GA it is currently illegal to carry on a college campus even with a permit. I work on one and you can store in locked glove box or trunk but that is all. There is currently a bill going through the GAME legislature that would allow licensed carry but if I were you I wouldn't try without first checking with the university police. I doubt it is legit to carry there.

VIP Member
    Just went thru ours with my son on Sat. UWM Milwaukee. Every building is posted and reposted. They got these telephones with flashing blue lights, if in troblem use them and a campus cop is only 2-4 minutes away. What in the sam hill are you supose to do in those 2-4 minutes?

side note: they started to brain wash us through out the day. I am so glad I am spending my hard earned cash on this. The kid should have joined the Marines Corps like I told him.

PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
    So I did my transfer orientation yesterday at UA. according to their guide there is nothing wrong with a licensed person cc or OC on campus. I will post a picture of it but here is the quote:

" WEAPON POLICY ON CAMPUS

Illegal or unauthorized possession of firearms ammunition, explosives, other weapons, or dangerous chemicals by students on University property is not allowed as indicated in the UA Student Code of Conduct. However, Students who have sporting, hunting, recreational or target weapons for off campus use may bring the item to UAPD for registration and free storage. Students are asked to bring proper identification, pistol permit (if applicable), the unloaded weapon and ammunition in a secure storage container. The check-in service is available 24 hours a day. "

according to this since I have my permit I can carry on Campus.

Also in their "personal conduct" booklet it states

"D. offenses Disrupting Order or Disregarding Health and Safety

#3 Illegal or unauthorized possession of firearms, explosives, other weapons, or dangerous chemicals on University premises"
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    So... if you have a permit, they'll store your weapon for you? Doesn't sound like you can carry on campus, just to campus.
    That was my read; you are allowed to bring x, y and z firearm for use off campus "sporting, hunting, recreational or target weapons for off campus use" Bold/underline mine I would say if you get caught with a EDC on cammpus it falls into that "unauthorized possession of firearms ammunition, explosives, other weapons, or dangerous chemicals by students" area. Just my two cents.

Get caught carrying and I would expect you'd find yourself expelled. I used to store my guns with the Mizzou PD and pick them up for competitions or practice. I can carry there now, but if I were a student today, they'd throw my butt out for sure. As a visitor, all they can do is ask me to leave.

I wouldn't recommend asking anyone about policy, but digging deeper as was previously suggested would be a good idea.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links