I'm now labeled a gun freak

This is a discussion on I'm now labeled a gun freak within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So i got my permit last year in Florida and have been carrying my trusty snub nose revolver (taurus 38spl) it's been great having it ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm now labeled a gun freak

I'm now labeled a gun freak

So i got my permit last year in Florida and have been carrying my trusty snub nose revolver (taurus 38spl) it's been great having it by my side, i'm a college student and the area i live has the highest crime rate in the city, last year was especialy bad for stabbings(i remember 4 people stabbed who lived near campus.)

But recently i was driving around with some friends... i normaly keep my glove compartment locked but it wasn't and when i wasn't looking my friend opened the compartment up and there in plain sight was my 9mm, my revolver, and a heap of ammunition. Unfortunatly all my friends are anti-gun anti-bush pro-clinton pro-abortion liberals which is the exact opposite of me (politics tends to be a no-fly zone haha) Now EVERYONE at my work knows, my entire social network knows.

For florida, what is supposed to be a relaxed state for guns, i'm surprised that i haven't managed to find a single person amongst my peers who likes guns. It's like when i'm carrying i have the plague or something. Everybody seems to think of concealed weapons as something paranoid old men do to compensate for a small part of their male anatomy.

How do you respond to "why do you carry" "you wouldn't really shoot anyone" "you're not gonna have time to shoot someone" without sounding paranoid of everything or being labeled a hyper-aggressive psychotic?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Just because you're labeled a gun freak, don't start flaunting it!

For the questions, seems like nearly every week, or more frequently, we read about an armed citizen using a gun to shoot an attacker. IIRC, it was just yesterday that a woman shot a man gun that tried to car jack and possibly kidnap or murder her.

I don't think there would be anything wrong with telling your friends that if you believed your life or a loved one's life was truly in danger from an assailent, that yes, you would shoot him to save your life if forced to.

You might ask them what they intend to do if someone threats to kill them or a loved one.

Ask them if they would've been willing to be one of the 20 people shot at the college in Montreal. When they say no, say, "Neither would I. The difference is, I would have more say in the matter if it came down to it."

Tangle is quite correct in explaining the protection of yourself adn loved ones. As for a great answer to the question "why do you carry a gun", I quote a member of OpenCarry - "Tess" said, " 'cause I can't carry a cop".
    DoubleR"You Can't Legislate Human Behavior"

Remember...Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

Seriously, I have faced just such attitudes from my extended family. I usually just equate it with having insurance, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, motorcycle helmet, seatbelts,....there is much in life that we do/have that we hope to never use. But to not prepare for adversity is just foolish.

Assistant Administrator
    Hi Yddnac

Sad to hear you are - in FL of all places - apparently surrounded by anti gun sheep. They are of course everywhere.

I invariably resort to explanations thru the ''insurance'' type route, which includes spare tires, fire extinguishers etc. Getting it thru to some of these folks tho is much like banging the head on a brick wall - as most are emotion driven and have little recourse to applied logic.

If they can ''freak out'' they will - it is seemingly part of the sheep make-up
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Heck, go for broke: you can own auto-knives in Fl, get a Microtech HALO, and really blow their minds!

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I've been in similar situations, being a student myself. One of the best things you can do to get your friends to more okay with it is to just be yourself and stand your moral ground. If they ask you whether or not you would actually shoot someone, ask them to consider the worst position they might ever find themselves in and if they would want to be able to fight back.

I really hate a lot of the snooty punks you run into at a lot of universities that think they are the end-all be-all of political opinions. They take one class on Government or Sociology and all of a sudden, they are God in that realm. Remind your friends that college should be a time in your life to be open to new ideas and thoeries - not just be spoon-fed what some professor taught them. Just because someone holds a different opinion on the matter doesn't mean they know less, ya know?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Apart from the generalized "anti feelings" a lot of people have, I've found that most never stop to realize that we would use a weapon only as a last resort.

Most people I talk with seem to think/assume that people with guns will use them to simply put an end to any old argument, or to stop someone from setaling a loaf of bread. They truly never see the "last resort," or as Massad Ayoob puts it, "In The Gravest Extreme," aspect of it.

In my experience, NOBODY gives as much thought to the limited use of guns, particularly concealed-carry ones, as those of us who carry them.

That is where I begin any discussion, though I'll admit to trying not to get into those discussions at all if they feel like they will be fleeting ones. If someone really wants to discuss it, I'm game. If all they want to do is make a 20-second pronouncement and disconnect their auditory equipment, I dont play.

Bottom line for me is that I don't believe many anti's really understand how seriously most concealed carry people take the responsibility of that weapon. Those are the ones we can "convert" through information and explanation. The rest are pretty much set in mental concrete and will require a lot more dislocation than I have to offer.

Bob

Welcome to the world of gun nuts. I’m also accused of other “heinous” things such as being Pro-Life and a capitalism. I wear these criticisms with pride.

If I am asked why I have a CCW I would tell them because I love my wife and kids and I am responsible for their welfare.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Yddnac View Post
    So i got my permit last year in Florida and have been carrying my trusty snub nose revolver (taurus 38spl) it's been great having it by my side, i'm a college student and the area i live has the highest crime rate in the city, last year was especialy bad for stabbings(i remember 4 people stabbed who lived near campus.)

But recently i was driving around with some friends... i normaly keep my glove compartment locked but it wasn't and when i wasn't looking my friend opened the compartment up and there in plain sight was my 9mm, my revolver, and a heap of ammunition. Unfortunatly all my friends are anti-gun anti-bush pro-clinton pro-abortion liberals which is the exact opposite of me (politics tends to be a no-fly zone haha) Now EVERYONE at my work knows, my entire social network knows.

For florida, what is supposed to be a relaxed state for guns, i'm surprised that i haven't managed to find a single person amongst my peers who likes guns. It's like when i'm carrying i have the plague or something. Everybody seems to think of concealed weapons as something paranoid old men do to compensate for a small part of their male anatomy.

How do you respond to "why do you carry" "you wouldn't really shoot anyone" "you're not gonna have time to shoot someone" without sounding paranoid of everything or being labeled a hyper-aggressive psychotic?
    Everyone else has touched on your questions pretty well, so I will address just one thought provoking curious question I have and no harm is intended. Why exactly do you keep your sidearm in your glovebox? If you need it, it's going to take precious time away fumbling around with keys etc... trying to get to it. Just a thought. Although you may have a perfectly good reason for that kind of placement and I probably just stuck my foot in my mouth.

And while you're a licensed gun owner, responsibility for the safe carry of your firearms is your highest priority.

Don't leave them in the glove compartment. Its not a secured location.

RJ
    Sometimes there's Justice
    Sometimes there's Just Us

Quote Originally Posted by Yddnac View Post

Friends don't let friends hate guns. Get new ones (friends and guns)
    The best "first aid for a gunshot wound is immediate and accurate fire at the person(s) who caused you the wound .
    -John Farnum

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    Yddnac, you need to find some new friends, son.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I have friends that won't allow me to carry around them. They think the guns I have will go off in their cars or something. I respect their wishes and I don't carry around them. If we ever encounter a criminal, we simply won't be able to defend ourselves, and we may wind up dead.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links