non-res permits

This is a discussion on non-res permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I apologize for not being clear. I do have a SC permit, and Florida recognizes it though I have considered a Florida non-res permit to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: non-res permits

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I apologize for not being clear. I do have a SC permit, and Florida recognizes it though I have considered a Florida non-res permit to gain the other states I want. Just checking out my options, Arizona looks promising. Thanks for all the replies.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

2. Remove Ads

The guy that I took my SC training from tells me that there is a"slight possibility" that the AZ permit would be no good since there is reciprocity between SC and AZ. His thought is that since SC and AZ already have reciprocity that SC would "think" that there is no need for an AZ permit, "Our permit is already good in AZ." So they won't "allow" their training to apply to an AZ permit, and by extension any other state that SC has reciprocity with. It kind of got me confused when he was trying to explain it and I still can't quite get my head around the whole idea. I am going back to see him today and I will try to get him to explain his thought again and hopefully he can point me towards where he got the idea from because I've looked at AZ, SC and GA and cannot find any mention of such a tripwire.

Can anyone help explain that thought or totally debunk that myth? I already have the AZ. I picked it up specifically to get GA. But when he said what he said it got me a bit confused.

sre

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Mistake
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; June 19th, 2012 at 07:58 AM. Reason: wrong information
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. CZ 75 P-07 Duty 9mm.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

RSV
    Quote Originally Posted by KLR2007 View Post
    The guy that I took my SC training from tells me that there is a"slight possibility" that the AZ permit would be no good since there is reciprocity between SC and AZ. His thought is that since SC and AZ already have reciprocity that SC would "think" that there is no need for an AZ permit, "Our permit is already good in AZ." So they won't "allow" their training to apply to an AZ permit, and by extension any other state that SC has reciprocity with. It kind of got me confused when he was trying to explain it and I still can't quite get my head around the whole idea. I am going back to see him today and I will try to get him to explain his thought again and hopefully he can point me towards where he got the idea from because I've looked at AZ, SC and GA and cannot find any mention of such a tripwire.

Can anyone help explain that thought or totally debunk that myth? I already have the AZ. I picked it up specifically to get GA. But when he said what he said it got me a bit confused.

sre
    My understanding is that SC will only recognize out of state resident permits so somebody who resides in AZ, visiting SC, would be OK with their AZ permit. Somebody from another state who has an AZ permit would not be allowed to carry in SC.

Your AZ permit is good in GA or any other state that would recognize the AZ permit (excluding states where you have to be a resident of AZ) and the fact that you hold a SC permit should have nothing to do with it. I have AZ and UT permits (non-resident) and I cannot carry in SC.

Unfortunately I live in that evil state that issues NO permits.

I guess I'm unclear what your SC instructor was saying.
    Last edited by RSV; June 19th, 2012 at 07:44 PM.

Your instructor is confusing a simple issue by running his mouth about something he is unsure/unaware of, instead of actually finding out the facts. SC simply doesn't recognize permits carried by people who are not a resident of the state that issued the permit (ie, your home addr must be in the state that issued your permit) - whether or not SC has reciprocity with that state. Got nothing to do with training.

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, I think he is reading too much into it; whatever it is he's reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Varmiter View Post
    OKAY......Lets just make we are all on the same page.

You are in SC, so I assume you have a res SC permit. If not, your non res NH permit (or any other non res permit for that matter) is invalid in SC.

Assuming you already hold a SC permit, for the states you are interested in, an AZ permit is by far the easiest, and cheapest to obtain. Oh, and BTW, AZ does NOT issue a non res permit as such. The only clue is that it a ‘non res’ is the fact that your address will be outside the state of AZ. The AZ permit does NOT have ‘non resident’ anywhere on the permit.

Just about any info you could want is on :

Handgunlaw.us

Great efforts are taken to keep this site up to date.

Chris
    It also says not valid without a photo ID, so pretty obvious it would be a non-resident permit, when you show the photo id of your home state.

Since SC permit covers you in FL, go with AZ permit. A copy of your SC permit will suffice for the training requirement.

AZ renewal is $43

OR

The next family visit to PA you can apply for a PA LTCF. $20. Depending on which sheriff you apply at, you can may get it on the spot.
    Last edited by mrjam2jab; June 22nd, 2012 at 08:13 PM.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I, too, have a NH that expires next year. My SC CWP instructor advised me to go with Florida next time. He explained the benefits over AZ but we were at a gunshow and I was distracted so I don't remember.

GA is the main reason for me wanting the NH as well. Im across the river quite a bit. Don't beat yourself up about it. Either FL or AZ will suffice.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links