non-res permits

non-res permits

This is a discussion on non-res permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm in SC. I got my New Hampshire non-res permit for $20 before they figured out that they had a cash cow and jacked the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: non-res permits

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar

non-res permits

I'm in SC. I got my New Hampshire non-res permit for $20 before they figured out that they had a cash cow and jacked the price up to $100. It runs out next year so I'm looking for an alternative. I hate to pay an extortion fee of $100 or more just so I can visit neighboring Georgia and family in PA but realize I probably will have to. I'm looking at Florida but would like other info.

Those of you who have a non-res permit in Florida, Georgia, PA or another state that gets me what I want... How much does it cost and how difficult is it to get?
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

VIP Member
    Florida is probably the easiest. Everything is done by mail. Pa requires you to attend in person

You might also want to consider Utah.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    The two most popular non-resident permits are Utah and Florida. Since you didn't mention Utah, Florida would be the one to get. It is good for seven years and costs $117.00. You have to send in a set of fingerprints. A certificate from hunter's safety course or completion of a NRA course will do for proof of training.

Arizona is the best IMO, proof of firearms training (hunter's safety, NRA, etc.), 2 fingerprint cards, and $60.00 by mail.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Arizona is the best IMO, proof of firearms training (hunter's safety, NRA, etc.), 2 fingerprint cards, and $60.00 by mail.
    Maybe in terms of cost but there is a problem with the Arizona permit, it doesn't give you Florida if you aren't already permitted to carry there. The Florida permit will give you Arizona though. Kill two birds with one stone with the Florida permit.

Quote Originally Posted by SoleShtr View Post
    The two most popular non-resident permits are Utah and Florida. Since you didn't mention Utah, Florida would be the one to get. It is good for seven years and costs $117.00. You have to send in a set of fingerprints. A certificate from hunter's safety course or completion of a NRA course will do for proof of training.
    Florida is very popular in Illinois. Took a two day class. At the end of the class they gave me the Florida kit with all you need. Went to the local PD and got finger printed and sent that, the app, training certificate and money...took about 6 weeks. In Florida now exercising on constitutional rights.

Don't forget that SC does not honor non-resident permits. You must be a resident of the state where you hold the permit for it to be honored in SC.

OKAY......Lets just make we are all on the same page.

You are in SC, so I assume you have a res SC permit. If not, your non res NH permit (or any other non res permit for that matter) is invalid in SC.

Assuming you already hold a SC permit, for the states you are interested in, an AZ permit is by far the easiest, and cheapest to obtain. Oh, and BTW, AZ does NOT issue a non res permit as such. The only clue is that it a ‘non res’ is the fact that your address will be outside the state of AZ. The AZ permit does NOT have ‘non resident’ anywhere on the permit.

Just about any info you could want is on :

Handgunlaw.us

Great efforts are taken to keep this site up to date.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by SoleShtr View Post
    Maybe in terms of cost but there is a problem with the Arizona permit, it doesn't give you Florida if you aren't already permitted to carry there. The Florida permit will give you Arizona though. Kill two birds with one stone with the Florida permit.
    Florida doesn't give you Wisconsin, Arizona does. But for the OP, if he's just interested in GA & PA. AZ would be the cheapest and easiest to get. Personally, I have an AZ permit. $60 good for 5 years all done through the mail.

UT requires a specific UT CCW training class given by a UT certified instructor. FL accepts an NRA training certificate as long as it has a live fire component. NRA Basic Handgun would cover that. Or a DD214 with an honorable discharge.

UT is a bit cheaper but you have to factor in the cost of the class, which is about 100 bucks depending on the course IIRC. That makes FL a better deal IMO. Plus you can carry in FL

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    That makes FL a better deal IMO. Plus you can carry in FL
    Nope, Florida does not honour any non res permit except it's own.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I said getting the FL permit is the best way to go, because it also gives you the ability to carry in FL. Didn't I say that when I recommended FL?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    I said getting the FL permit is the best way to go, because it also gives you the ability to carry in FL. Didn't I say that when I recommended FL?
    Read it wrong, shoot me now.

I was meaning Utah does you no good in FL.

That be true sir. No shooting required.

I'd go to handgunlaw.us and check out their reciprocity map, then decide which permit you'd get the most use out of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links