SC CWP... Should I add Flordia? Arizona? Utah? or another state?

This is a discussion on SC CWP... Should I add Flordia? Arizona? Utah? or another state? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SAWPro Who in NA teaches Utah? I just took my CWP class back in May so I'm just unpatiently waiting the 90 ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SC CWP... Should I add Flordia? Arizona? Utah? or another state?

Quote Originally Posted by SAWPro View Post
    Who in NA teaches Utah? I just took my CWP class back in May so I'm just unpatiently waiting the 90 day period to get it, but frequent GA.

Tim
    PM sent.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

2. Remove Ads

P95
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmart30 View Post
    Thru reciprocity your states CCW permit is honored among other participating states ...I have never heard that you "could add another state" to your permit......... heres a link that will show you what states will honor, your states permit when you are in them.
    U.S. CCW Reciprocity Map from CarryConcealed.net
    I agree Rmart30....never heard of this. All states honor the KY CCDW permits except for two states.

Quote Originally Posted by P95 View Post
    I agree Rmart30....never heard of this. All states honor the KY CCDW permits except for two states.
    You cannot "add" another state to your permit, but you can get a non-resident permit from another state (if it offers them). Then you can carry in states that honor that non-resident permit even though they may not honor the resident permit from your home state.

For example, I live in South Carolina quite close to the Georgia state line. Georgia does not honor the SC permit, but it will honor a Utah non-resident permit so I have both SC (resident) and Utah (non-resident) permits. Thus I can concealed carry in Georgia.

When I moved to Florida I got my "Concealed Weapon or Firearm License" and it gives me a total of 39 states. It covers all that I'd be inclined to travel. They accepted my training certificate from Virginia from many moons ago. It was expensive (I believe $117), but it is good for 7 years. It is also a State issues picture ID, in case you ever need a second form other than your DL. My Virginia permit is still good through 2014, but Florida coveres everything it does and then some.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    You cannot "add" another state to your permit, but you can get a non-resident permit from another state (if it offers them). Then you can carry in states that honor that non-resident permit even though they may not honor the resident permit from your home state.

For example, I live in South Carolina quite close to the Georgia state line. Georgia does not honor the SC permit, but it will honor a Utah non-resident permit so I have both SC (resident) and Utah (non-resident) permits. Thus I can concealed carry in Georgia.
    When I moved from Virginia to Florida I was doing a lot of driving back and forth and going through Georgia. Every state in between reciprocated with Virginia except Georgia, but I could carry in my car given certain criteria (so I did all my stuff and zipped through the GA I-95 corridor without stopping). Once I got my Florida permit, everything from here to there was covered. Hopefully one day concealed weapons license will be like Driver's License and one state covers all. Probably too much politics involved to ever happen.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Looks like I will get the AZ as NV honors it,,,,,,I used to think that NV was pretty pro 2nd but they only honor a few states,,,,what's up with that????

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    You need to study the reciprocity map and decide what states you will be in the most and then can determine the best permit to add.
    I am going to add the Florida to mine at some point. There are some changes so make sure to use up to date maps.
    Other states you don't actually have to take a class?!?! Utah you have to, I thought you had to in all states. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Lampropeltis View Post
    Other states you don't actually have to take a class?!?! Utah you have to, I thought you had to in all states. . .
    There is NO consistency. In some states (like Utah) you have classroom training required. In NC and SC, you have to take both classroom training and live firing qualification. In Georgia (I think) no training is required. In arizona, no permit is needed at all to carry concealed. The list goes on.....

One of the earlier posters had it right... IT'S ALL POLITICS!

Just a note from a SC permit holder. I have a NH and PA. permits. Both were easy to obtain. NH went from $20 to $100. PA is still $20 BUT since this past May you have to apply IN PERSON for your PA non-resident. That sucks!

Anyone know how quick of a turn around or how much hassle is involved with getting AZ non resident? I hear NH is more expensive but no hassle and quick turn around on paperwork.

I just sent in my Utah paperwork. No exam or range qualification, but you do need the class. Very easy since it only needs to cover things already covered for your SC CCP.

Wish I would have investigated AZ further. Looks like only a couple states different, no class and if it is more, it isn't by much.

[EDIT] Arizona gives you NM and NV, Utah gives you WA and MN. All other states the same.

Mine came back in about 7 weeks. I had forgotten a signature on the fingerprint card. Once I got that signed and sent back in the card was here in about 1 week.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowpt View Post
    Anyone know how quick of a turn around or how much hassle is involved with getting AZ non resident? I hear NH is more expensive but no hassle and quick turn around on paperwork.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I switched from FL to UT for my secondary permit because:
    (a) UT is cheaper
    (b) UT adds a couple of states for me over the FL permit
    (c) UT renewal does not require fingerprints, FL does---my fingers frequently require multiple attempts to get good prints, so I prefer to avoid this complication.

I too am a SC resident who frequently is in Georgia. I went with a New Hampshire permit simply because they make it so easy and quick. It is one hundred dollars for four years. You will not have any other added expenses or hassles. Just fill out the form on line photo copy your South Carolina permit, mail the check and you will very shortly have it and be legal in GA.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In FL, reciprocy is honored only if you're a resident of the state whose permit you carry. In other words, If you're from SC, have an AZ permit, it would not be honored in FL as you are not a resident of AZ. Other states may do the same.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links