Moving

This is a discussion on Moving within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a friend how lives in Charlotte right now he will be moving to SC, will he have to take the Concealed carry class ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By phreddy
  • 1 Post By Ram Rod

Thread: Moving

Moving

I have a friend how lives in Charlotte right now he will be moving to SC, will he have to take the Concealed carry class again. He currently has a permit for the state of NC.

2. Remove Ads

Unless the two states have a reciprocity agreement that extends to recognizing each others' classes, yes.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    Yah. SC has an elitist view of it's carry permits. It's a point of embarrassment for me and my beloved state.
    phreddy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewayseght View Post
    I have a friend how lives in Charlotte right now he will be moving to SC, will he have to take the Concealed carry class again. He currently has a permit for the state of NC.
    I don't think so. I'm not certain, but I think that if he shows/proves that he was licensed in NC, he can get it here in SC without taking the 8 hour class. The only downside is that it will take him 3 months to get the results from his background check.

But, best thing I can recommend is calling someone who teaches the class and asking them.

Contact DES Training,Inc.

These are the people that taught my class, and I'm sure they would be willing to answer any questions about getting the SC CWP.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Or call SLED. I found them to be very helpful when I moved after submittng my application, but before I received my permit. They were very accomodating and solved my issue quickly. Now if we can just get the legislature to be so helpful.
    Last edited by phreddy; June 19th, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
    shooterX likes this.

Seems to be a rash of threads recently concerning SC. Seriously disheartening to hear of the oppression there. I had no idea until recently. I sincerely hope things will change and soon for all of youn's there. Join the NRA, register to vote and vote when the opportunity presents itself. You don't want to associate your state's call letters with 'Southern California'.

Yah. SC has an elitist view of it's carry permits. It's a point of embarrassment for me and my beloved state.
    Let me know (let us know) if there is a petition for out of state folks to sign that might get things going in the right direction (or a new one).
    shooterX likes this.

VIP Member
    As suggested above, I would call SLED. I do know that when my Dad moved here from Virginia he had to retake the class, but SC didn't have reciprocity with Virginia at the time.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Seems to be a rash of threads recently concerning SC. Seriously disheartening to hear of the oppression there. I had no idea until recently. I sincerely hope things will change and soon for all of youn's there. Join the NRA, register to vote and vote when the opportunity presents itself. You don't want to associate your state's call letters with 'Southern California'.

Let me know (let us know) if there is a petition for out of state folks to sign that might get things going in the right direction (or a new one).
    Our biggest opposition is Jake Knotts a state legislator from Lexington county. He was a former ally, but this year he held up every bill that would have moved our state forward.

Links