I thought I was "made" at the store

This is a discussion on I thought I was "made" at the store within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been carrying for some time now and have always mad an honest effort to cover my piece with lose fitting shirts and avoid ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: I thought I was "made" at the store

I have been carrying for some time now and have always mad an honest effort to cover my piece with lose fitting shirts and avoid bending over with people behind me. Well I am at the store and heading to the checkout line with a few items and I hear in a somewhat loud voice ...“what is that”.

I ignored it at first and then I hear it again...“what is that”. I turn and look and it’s a young man and he has a store badge on that says he is the assistant manager. It was legal to carry in the store so I was good but had thought I failed in my concealment. For a moment I just stood there and was going to say something and all of a sudden he leans down looks at my forearm and says... “what is that”.

Then it dawned on me; he was looking at my tattoo’s (I have a couple on each arm) and he started to tell me how he was going to get a new one. Just for a moment there I though a was “made” but what it did tell me that if someone I didn’t know could get that close to my gun side and didn’t see my gun then I was good to go.
    ericb327 likes this.

Begs the question... so what was tattoo he was looking at?

I would imagine if I ever got 'made' the 'maker' (?) wouldn't blurt out such a question... unless they were in the 4 to 6 year old range, or genuinely were interested in they brand of pistol.
    Spade115 likes this.

Whew. What a close one..... Glad you're safe, and no one is the wiser.

Just to think you were almost nailed by the 20 year-old assistant manager at Target.....

......doing something completely legal....

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Doesn't phase me at all if anyone sees me carrying anymore. I don't make much of an effort to try to completely conceal, which I have found is nearly impossible with a M&P9 anyways.

Also.. I've never had anyone question me about my tats other than 1 time at the dentist. Not typically a subject that is OK to ask someone about..
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

When I first started carrying IWB with a tucked in shirt, I thought everyone was looking at me. But now, I realize that no one has a clue as long as I am deliberate in my concealment. Even my closest friends don't realize it. Now I just go about my day without even a thought about being made. Unless you know what to look for, a good tuckable IWB is perfect for CC.

The tattoo is a grim reaper coming out of a bottle in a puff of smoke and I have never had a reaction to it like that but it was the way he said… “WHAT IS THAT” and then approached me that really caught me off guard. I have been carrying for a couple of years and never had an issue then this happen.

I had a mental flash of the guy that was shot down at the Costco and how he was made and then all the trouble he had before the shooting. Too much reading is not a good thing sometimes

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Also.. I've never had anyone question me about my tats other than 1 time at the dentist. Not typically a subject that is OK to ask someone about..
    I completely disagree with that. I have quite a few and wouldn't treat the question any different as if you'd asked me what the coiled snake on most of my t-shirts means.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    The tattoo is a grim reaper coming out of a bottle in a puff of smoke and I have never had a reaction to it like that but it was the way he said… “WHAT IS THAT” and then approached me that really caught me off guard. I have been carrying for a couple of years and never had an issue then this happen.

I had a mental flash of the guy that was shot down at the Costco and how he was made and then all the trouble he had before the shooting. Too much reading is not a good thing sometimes
    Perhaps you need to spend more time at a nice gardening or home improvement discussion board, and a little less time time here.
    9mmHP, wmhawth and barstoolguru like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    When it comes to tattoos I find people have a story behind every one. They were at a motorcycle rally, in Mexico, at spring break.... jail house tattoos are a way of inmates stating their rank and affiliation with others, and time served... sailors get tattooed when they crossed the equator the first time. Tattoos are somewhat of a living history of the bearer. Ever tattoo I have is a moment in time and place and I for one have no problem talking about them.

I have been carrying for some time now and have always mad an honest effort to cover my piece with lose fitting shirts and avoid bending over with people behind me. Well I am at the store and heading to the checkout line with a few items and I hear in a somewhat loud voice ...“what is that”.

I ignored it at first and then I hear it again...“what is that”. I turn and look and it’s a young man and he has a store badge on that says he is the assistant manager. It was legal to carry in the store so I was good but had thought I failed in my concealment. For a moment I just stood there and was going to say something and all of a sudden he leans down looks at my forearm and says... “what is that”.

Then it dawned on me; he was looking at my tattoo’s (I have a couple on each arm) and he started to tell me how he was going to get a new one. Just for a moment there I though a was “made” but what it did tell me that if someone I didn’t know could get that close to my gun side and didn’t see my gun then I was good to go.
    LMAO, I can imagine the look on your face. You had a pucker moment.......
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    When it comes to tattoos I find people have a story behind every one. They were at a motorcycle rally, in Mexico, at spring break.... jail house tattoos are a way of inmates stating their rank and affiliation with others, and time served... sailors get tattooed when they crossed the equator the first time. Tattoos are somewhat of a living history of the bearer. Ever tattoo I have is a moment in time and place and I for one have no problem talking about them.
    Lately I've heard a lot of "Well I got drunk..." "it looked cool".... there's not always a story

Maybe it's not this way with everyone, but mine are a reminder to myself, past and present, I didn't get them to tell stories about, I still do when I get asked, but I don't think it's very respectful to ask about if you don't know the person, again, maybe it's just me.

And tread, let's not even begin to compare t-shirts to tats lol.
    headdesk
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

WHAT IS THAT?! Made me think of this old SNL clip.

What the hell is that - YouTube
    Burns likes this.

If he's in a management position he should know better than to address customers in that manner.

Better to say "Excuse me, Sir, may I ask you about that tattoo?" and keep it professional. People just don't think any more.
    barstoolguru and joker1 like this.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    You almost had a "Who's on First" moment.

What's that?

What's what?

That!

It's a gun, Sir.

No it's not.

Um, yes it is.

No, it's not.
    accessbob and Guest1 like this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Agree,I have four all in plain sight,2 recon,the E.G and A,and the Cross(to remind me where my salvation came from),and am proud to explain any of them to anybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    I completely disagree with that. I have quite a few and wouldn't treat the question any different as if you'd asked me what the coiled snake on most of my t-shirts means.
    accessbob likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links