Thumb safety on Kimber

Thumb safety on Kimber

This is a discussion on Thumb safety on Kimber within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I normally do not engage my thumb safety on my Kimber when I'm carrying IWB, but not too long ago I decided to practice to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Thumb safety on Kimber

Thumb safety on Kimber

I normally do not engage my thumb safety on my Kimber when I'm carrying IWB, but not too long ago I decided to practice to see how long it would take me to disengage my safety while my 1911 was C&L'd. Just in case I ever decided that I wanted to start carrying it that way as it's not my EDC in the first place.
    What I discovered was that during the draw, about 25% of the time the safety became disengaged on its own I'm thinking during the motion. I use a VMII, and I'm not really sure if it's the VMII causing it when I'm holstering or the way I'm drawing. Trying to slowly draw to check seems to defeat the purpose because not once has it proven anything to me.
    So, I guess I have two questions:
    1. Does anyone actually carry with the thumb safety activated?
    2. Has anyone ever experienced this where the safety is disengaged on the draw?

1. On a 1911 cocked and locked, the thumb safety is on...

2. No
    sgb and mprp like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Cocked and Locked is the only way to carry a 1911.

I've used a couple different holsters- a cheap Blackhawk IWB holster, and an even cheaper unbranded clamshell holster. I've never had the safety turn itself off.

Maybe you're hitting it as you draw- it's part of the process, so you naturally do it without thinking or really noticing? I notice most of the time when I hit the safety when I practice drawing.

My 1911 IS my EDC, and the only time I've noticed a problem with the safety is if I put it in a glovebox and drive somewhere- it occasionally moves about enough to disengage the safety. Not often, but it happens.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I had three Kimbers and used various IWB/OWB holsters. I never had a holster disengage my thumb safety. Each holster had a 'niche' where the engaged safety rested and stayed engaged.
    The safety was disengaged (by me) with the draw and without real thought (muscle memory).

If I understand your post, you are carrying a cocked and locked 1911 without engaging the thumb safety? I'd say that that's a 'no-no'. There is still the grip safety and your finger, but the thumb safety is there for a reason.

#1. Yes, most definitely...
    #2. No, not disengaged on its own when drawn (holster problem), but disengaged by me as it is drawn...
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; June 21st, 2012 at 02:03 PM.
    claude clay and phreddy like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    1. Does anyone actually carry with the thumb safety activated?
    2. Has anyone ever experienced this where the safety is disengaged on the draw?
    1. Yes, always.

2. Yes. By me. Without consciously thinking about it.
    Thou art like one of those fellows that when he enters the confines of a tavern claps me his sword upon the table and says "God send me no need of thee!" and by the operation of the second cup draws it when indeed there is no need. (R&J Act 3 Scene 1)

I guess it is entirely possible I am the one disengaging the safety without even thinking about it. I was so used to using the thumb safety of my old Beretta (used to practice a lot when I was an MP) while in the service, that maybe there's some muscle memory still applied and I don't even perceive it.
    I'm not going to even start a discussion about the merits of using a manual safety or not, but I appreciate everyone's feedback. If I'm already doing it unconsciously, I might not be as averse to it's functionality.

I have a Kimber Ultra and only had one issue with the thumb safety. I found it clicked off while removing it from my SmartCarry. Nothing scarier than pulling your C&L 1911 out of your shorts with it pointed at your - err - stuff. I have never carried it in the SmartCarry again. No more issues.
    Last edited by MadMac; June 21st, 2012 at 02:34 PM.

sgb
    The position of the thumb safety makes for an easy deactivation while obtaining your grip. I've been carrying 30+ years and most of that with a cocked and locked 1911, flipping the safety off while coming out of the holster is a natural portion of my draw stroke.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I would never carry my 1911 without the safety engaged. If it was becoming disengaged own it's own I would find the cause and correct it.
    phreddy likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

OP, do not ever carry a 1911 cocked without the safety engaged.

2 - the holster never disengaged the safety. the safety on that Para Slim Hawg i owned would sometimes become disengaged when i sat down in my car or in a restaurant booth / chair.

i then got a colt defender. the safety engagement is much more firm. it never has disengaged.

i then sold the slim hawg

VIP Member
    The thumb safety is installed on the 1911 for a reason, to be engaged when the hammer is cocked, unless your ready to shoot. I realize there is also the grip safety, but to carry with the thumb safety not engaged is a ND waiting to happen.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

condition 1 is a round chambered, hammer back, safety on. Whatever the time it takes to disengage is such a small fraction of a second it's not worth considering. You, of course, have to train this till it becomes muscle memory.

I have had holsters before which had a small chance to disengage the safety when holstering (remedy this by training if you have an issue, it's quite easy once you determine what mechanics are causing it), but never on a draw.

Administrator
    Your Thumb Safety should have a very positive and audible snick on and off.
    If it's mushy feeling and easily moved on and off of safe just by drawing it from the holster - you need to get that fixed by a qualified gun smith.
    MisterAvis and OD* like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    The thumb safety is installed on the 1911 for a reason, to be engaged when the hammer is cocked, unless your ready to shoot. I realize there is also the grip safety, but to carry with the thumb safety not engaged is a ND waiting to happen.
    I always carry with thumb safety on but I have to ask. What makes carrying a 1911 variant with the thumb safety off more dangerous than carrying a Glock?

Serious question. A 1911 with grip safety would require pressing on the grip in addition to pulling the trigger before the gun would discharge. The Glock, simply pulling/snagging/etc. the trigger sets it off.

Administrator
    There is a reason why it's called a THUMB Safety. That would be due to the fact that the human Thumb is supposed to operate it and not the holster.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links