Decocker and one in the pipe

This is a discussion on Decocker and one in the pipe within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thoughts concerning the carrying a decocker and having one round chambered. Is this proper or safe? Thanks....

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Ram Rod
  • 1 Post By sensei2
  • 2 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By USASGT

Thread: Decocker and one in the pipe

Cool Decocker and one in the pipe

Thoughts concerning the carrying a decocker and having one round chambered. Is this proper or safe?
    Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Not an issue it is the way it is designed.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Not sure of the make or model that you're talking about but hopefully you're talking about something with an actual decocker. I have a S&W 4006 and it has a decocker. If what you have is like that then yes, ok to decock with one in the pipe. When the lever is turned to decock, the internal workings that transfer the energy from the hammer to the firing pin are rotated out of the way and the hammer is blocked from being able to strike the firing pin.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by DUSTYNEVADA View Post
    Thoughts concerning the carrying a decocker and having one round chambered. Is this proper or safe?
    Thanks.
    Little bit lacking here. I carried a P89DC for a few years. I loved the DC although I'd much rather have the SA trigger pull...I do think the DC has a good advantage for many reasons. I always carry with one in the pipe. Proper and safe pretty much depend on you.
    Inspector71 likes this.

so far as i know, no reasonably popular gun designed in the last 50 years will accidentally fire if the hammer is lowered using the decocking lever. i know this sounds a bit like weasel wording, but i'm trying to be accurate. every manufacturer that i know of who makes a gun with a decocker STRONGLY recommends that the decocker ALWAYS be used to lower the hammer. the reason is that with the trigger NOT pulled and the decocker operated, there is some mechanism to keep the hammer from contacting the firing pin as the hammer comes forward. the exact design varies from maker to maker, and sometimes from model to model. if you pull the trigger, which you would have to do in order to lower the hammer without using the decocker, you will disable that safety mechanism, and if you lose control of the hammer, and it falls, the gun WILL fire.

S&W, Beretta, Ruger, Sig-Sauer - all their hammer-fired guns with decockers will work in this manner. ALWAYS USE THE DECOCKER. it's perfectly safe. nevertheless, a person holding a gun should keep the gun pointed in a safe direction at ALL times, even when decocking.
    Crashbox likes this.

I've grown up firing the beretta 92fs and carry a fullsize px4 both have the decocker/ saftey. I'm not exatcly sure of your question but the way I use it is that I always use the decocker to drop the hammer. I always carry with one in the chamber and I make a habit of engaging the decocker / safety when holstering and then take it off once securely holstered and carry it with one in the chamber and the safety/decocker off. If asking if it's safe to use the decocker with one in the chamber I've not heard of any malfunction with it (not saying it's never happend) but as always safety first the gun is always pointed in a safe direction when engaging the decocker.

Typically speaking , decockers such as Beretta's have :

1. You can decock with one in the chamber, and it should never do anything other than lower the hammer and refuse to fire until you disengage the decocker.

2. All mechanical devices can fail. Although I've never heard of a decocker failing ever.... there's that one time. So, when I decock mine ... I always point the muzzle at something that if it should fire... it won't be a problem if it did fire.

It is designed to carry with the decocker engaged. However, at times... I will flick the decocker off once it's been decocked and the hammer down.... so that if I drew and wanted to fire, I could , and not have to deal with disengaging it first. However, I'm sure Beretta and others would greatly discourage that. Most guns I have , have no safety, etc. on them, and I would treat it in the same manner as I do them if I do that.

Hope that helps.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Unless your gun is one where your decocker lever is also a safety, Bersa and some others, DO NOT carry with the hammer cocked.

As long as you use the decocker and lower the hammer, it's safe and proper.
    Rotorblade and BurgerBoy like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

sgb
    .................... Yes
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Unless your gun is one where your decocker lever is also a safety, Bersa and some others, DO NOT carry with the hammer cocked.

As long as you use the decocker and lower the hammer, it's safe and proper.
    Having owned both a Thunder .45 and a Thunder .380, I've carried both chambered and decocked. Never caused me any concern at all.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DUSTYNEVADA View Post
    Thanks.
    Please review this thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...d-chamber.html

Links