Civil suit? Florida Specific

This is a discussion on Civil suit? Florida Specific within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I shoot someone, and the jury says it was justified or the grand jury didn't indict me, in FL I'm shielded from a civil ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Civil suit? Florida Specific

Civil suit? Florida Specific

If I shoot someone, and the jury says it was justified or the grand jury didn't indict me, in FL I'm shielded from a civil suit correct? Or am I thinking of another state?
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

2. Remove Ads

Does any state think like that? In this country civil law and criminal law are separate entities. I guess there's room for flexibility by state, but that sounds unusual to say the least.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrwizr View Post
    Does any state think like that? In this country civil law and criminal law are separate entities. I guess there's room for flexibility by state, but that sounds unusual to say the least.
    Not really. There are multiple states that protect individuals from civil suits provided they are not found guilty of criminal wrong doing in a court of law.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Not really. There are multiple states that protect individuals from civil suits provided they are not found guilty of criminal wrong doing in a court of law.
    Is FL one?
    Ron Paul 2012

Your state does.

You may want to check out NC statute § 14‑51.3. Use of force in defense of person; relief from criminal or civil liability.

Sorry to the op for the slight side track.
    Inspector71 likes this.

Yes, FL does offer protection from civil suits. Here's the statue

776.032 Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force.—
    (1) A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force, unless the person against whom force was used is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who was acting in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have known that the person was a law enforcement officer. As used in this subsection, the term “criminal prosecution” includes arresting, detaining in custody, and charging or prosecuting the defendant.
    (2) A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the use of force as described in subsection (1), but the agency may not arrest the person for using force unless it determines that there is probable cause that the force that was used was unlawful.
    (3) The court shall award reasonable attorney’s fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses incurred by the defendant in defense of any civil action brought by a plaintiff if the court finds that the defendant is immune from prosecution as provided in subsection (1).
    History.—s. 4, ch. 2005-27.
    Is this what you were looking for?

Well then I guess this is wrong then:

The Supreme Court has also ruled that the right against double jeopardy precludes only subsequent criminal proceedings. It does not preclude subsequent civil proceedings or administrative proceedings (e.g., a license revocation HEARING) against a person who has already been prosecuted for the same act or omission, even if that person is fined in the later civil or administrative proceeding. Nor is prosecution barred by double jeopardy if it is preceded by a final civil or administrative determination on the same issue.
    Here's the full article:

Supreme Court ruling

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    Is FL one?
    Check FL Statutes Title XLVI 776.032: Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Your state does.

You may want to check out NC statute § 14‑51.3. Use of force in defense of person; relief from criminal or civil liability.

Sorry to the op for the slight side track.
    No worries, I changed the title to reflect the Florida nature of the topic after the first couple of posts.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Is this what you were looking for?
    Yes, sir. Thank you. I always get confused by the #'s when I try to look up state statutes :P
    Ron Paul 2012

Yes, sir. Thank you. I always get confused by the #'s when I try to look up state statutes :P
    Just be sure to follow up and read the statutes in their entirety since there can be references to other statutes that may change the meanings and interpretations of it. Some states only grant the immunity to civil liability when the deadly force is used in the home or workplace and not for other locations so double check with your local state law gurus.

Good luck!

If I shoot someone, and the jury says it was justified or the grand jury didn't indict me, in FL I'm shielded from a civil suit correct? Or am I thinking of another state?
    A person who uses force as permitted in s776.12,776.13or 776.31 is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal and civil action for the use of such force,unless the person against whom force was used is a law enforcement officer,as defined in 943.10,who was acting in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself ia accordance with any applicable law or the person using force knew or resonably should have known that the person was a law enforcement officer.

Well then I guess this is wrong then:

Here's the full article:

Supreme Court ruling
    That Supreme Court ruling deals with double jeopardy - not being able to be tried for the same event twice. What the op is referring to is immunity after justifiable use of force. They're two completely different matters.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    In this country anybody can sue anybody for anything. That is why lawyers live in big houses, drive nice cars and seem to end up becoming our law makers--for their greedy benefit. Having said that, at least in SC, I echo many of the replies wherein a justified shooting brings civil immunity into play. I would tend to think that many if not a majority of states who have detailed gun laws that include castle doctrine and stand your ground etal, would also have an immunity clause in the wording.

This lawyers book is a great resource on Fl. gun laws. Anyone that owns a gun should read it.
    FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership Book | Orlando Criminal Defense Lawyer Jon H. Gutmacher
    jdsumner likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links