Loading and Unloading Every Day, Good or Bad

This is a discussion on Loading and Unloading Every Day, Good or Bad within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it good or bad to keep loading and unloading my concealed carry gun every day (on the same bullet). I carry one in the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Loading and Unloading Every Day, Good or Bad

Loading and Unloading Every Day, Good or Bad

Is it good or bad to keep loading and unloading my concealed carry gun every day (on the same bullet). I carry one in the chamber so i load it with mag in, take mag out and put the extra round back into the mag and re-insert the mag. I do this every day so the bullet in chamber and the bullet on the top of the mag switch every time I load and unload. Now my question is, is it bad for the bullets to be loaded into the chamber then unloaded and then reloaded over and over again? The brass casings are showing a bit of wear (like little cuts and scratches around the rim) but have no problem loading into the gun (me racking the slide, not actually firing it, haven't tested the 'worn' bullets yet).

Any questions or comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    slowsword

2. Remove Ads

I would think the common response here would be safety. The more you handle the loaded weapon, the higher your chances of an accident...simple math. I carry loaded every day and don't ever eject the chambered round unless the safety of others is at hand and it is warranted that the gun be unloaded. Then again, my carry weapon goes in a safe if it is not on me. I think there are some studies on the compacting effect that re-chambering a round has on the pressure build in the casing, but I think that is something to be concerned with if you are going a month or more on the same round.

My main question would be, why are you unloading it every day?
    sgb, tcox4freedom, RayBar and 2 others like this.

Why would you need to do that?
    You don't need a gun while at home?

Unless I happen to be doing something with a particular firearm, or show someone something...
    Mine all stay loaded until I go to the range and use them. Out of the dozen pistols in my safe, 3-4 are always loaded.
    After the range, any firearm used is cleaned and loaded...it stays that way.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Very bad due to Bullet setback
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by slowsword View Post
    Is it good or bad to keep loading and unloading my concealed carry gun every day (on the same bullet). I carry one in the chamber so i load it with mag in, take mag out and put the extra round back into the mag and re-insert the mag. I do this every day so the bullet in chamber and the bullet on the top of the mag switch every time I load and unload. Now my question is, is it bad for the bullets to be loaded into the chamber then unloaded and then reloaded over and over again? The brass casings are showing a bit of wear (like little cuts and scratches around the rim) but have no problem loading into the gun (me racking the slide, not actually firing it, haven't tested the 'worn' bullets yet).

Any questions or comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    slowsword
    You can't keep chambering the same round or rounds. This causes the bullet to be pushed into the case, it's called "Bullet Set-back" and it is dangerous.

Here's a good video on your question:

Bullet Setback and Your Defensive Handgun - YouTube

There is also this other problem constantly re-chambering the same round (s). It's from a police dept:

"THE FOLLOWING TRAINING ADVISORY WAS FORWARDED FROM GWINETT COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENT - LAWRENCEVILLE, GA

In September of this year a GCPD officer was involved in a situation which quickly became a use of deadly force incident. When the officer made the decision to use deadly force, the chambered round in his duty pistol did not fire. Fortunately, the officer used good tactics, remembered his training and cleared the malfunction, successfully ending the encounter.

The misfired round, which had a full firing pin strike, was collected and was later sent to the manufacturer for analysis. Their analysis showed the following: "...the cause of the misfire was determined to be from the primer mix being knocked out of the primer when the round was cycled through the firearm multiple times" ".

I keep my main Carry and 2 others loaded in my safe - one of the reasons being the above problems otherwise - nor do I like the whole thing about keeping track of bullets, a pain.

Good luck!
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Mine stays loaded, with one in the chamber and holstered unless I am cleaning it.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

If there are concerns about a loaded gun in the home, get a semi-auto with a magazine disconnect and remove the magazine at home. Then the pistol will not fire minus the magazine.

My concern, other than the setback issue, is that in an an emergency, you might forget to chamber a round and carry with an empty chamber. In that case, you may lose that one chance to shoot close quarters to save you life.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

The thing you need to watch for is "bullet setback." After several cycles of being stripped off a mag and slammed into a chamber, a bullet may actually seat itself more deeply into the cartridge case. On a low=pressure round like the .45 ACP that won't matter much, but on the high-pressure rounds like 9mm and .40 it could raise pressures higher than you'd like. A few thousandths of an inch isn't anything to worry about, but when the bullet is seating maybe 50 thou deeper - easily detected by eye - then it's time to replace that round.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Very bad due to Bullet setback
    This.

Only unload when absolutley necessary.I know it is expensive but it's a good idea to shoot that carry ammo at the range and replace it every once in a while.This can help avoid that whole bullet set back problem.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    The easy way is always mined.

VIP Member
    As others have mentioned, bullet set back is the main concern. It can create excessive chamber pressure, especially in .40 and .357 Sig, the results can catastrophic failure of the gun and severe and possibly deadly injuries to the shooter.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

TJx
    Plus it does chew up the case rim.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

I know a lot of people hate them, but I like the magazine disconnects. I have a Ruger LC9 and a Ruger SR9c for my regular carry/nightstand guns. Whichever one is out of service has the magazine removed, making it safe. A round stays in the chamber. I shoot up my carry rounds next time at the range, and start the process all over again. I only get to a range about once a month.

Just my thoughts and what works for me!
    stancehold likes this.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Why would you need to do that?
    You don't need a gun while at home?

Unless I happen to be doing something with a particular firearm, or show someone something...
    Mine all stay loaded until I go to the range and use them. Out of the dozen pistols in my safe, 3-4 are always loaded.
    After the range, any firearm used is cleaned and loaded...it stays that way.
    ^^ +10^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links