Mall notice vs. Anchor store

This is a discussion on Mall notice vs. Anchor store within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just something I have wondered about. The mall near me is posted as a no carry zone at the main entrance and is very visible. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Mall notice vs. Anchor store

Mall notice vs. Anchor store

Just something I have wondered about. The mall near me is posted as a no carry zone at the main entrance and is very visible. However, I have entered an anchor store (Dillards I believe) that has no sign posted. I know ignorance is no excuse and have never carried there, but just wondering if there is a legal issue involved if one entered through the store and continued into the common area of the mall. What if one entered the Dillard's and confined themselves to that one store and doesn't enter the common area? Like I stated, not earth shattering, just wondering.

2. Remove Ads

Do signs hold force of law in your state?

They do not in my state. I enter through Dick's sporting goods, which is not posted, and I've never looked anywhere else. If it is, since no force of law, I'm not breaking any law even if the main mall entrance were posted.

So, if your state the signs do not hold force of law, enter through an anchor store and don't worry about it. Keep it covered.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Thanks for the response, and yes,Ohio signs do have force of law.

Then I wouldn't chance it outside of the anchor store that is not posted if the mall entrance itself is.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I don't know about your state. In VA, every entrance must have the sign conspicuously posted. If it were me and I only carry concealed, I would use the entrance where its not marked. In the unlikely chance I must draw to defend my life I would point out that I entered there and there was no sign if they attempted to charge me.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

I understand the logic of "enter only thru the anchor store." However, since the anchor store and all of the other stores are a part of the mall, the sign posted at the entrance to the mall ought to mean that ALL stores at the mall are under the authority of the sign.

I could be wrong but, in my mind, I imagine that an attorney is defending the mall's perspective and that he would be somewhat harsh in opposition to the "enter thru the anchor store" attempt to circumvent the intent of the sign at the entrance to the mall.

Quote Originally Posted by .45acpguy View Post
    I understand the logic of "enter only thru the anchor store." However, since the anchor store and all of the other stores are a part of the mall, the sign posted at the entrance to the mall ought to mean that ALL stores at the mall are under the authority of the sign.

I could be wrong but, in my mind, I imagine that an attorney is defending the mall's perspective and that he would be somewhat harsh in opposition to the "enter thru the anchor store" attempt to circumvent the intent of the sign at the entrance to the mall.
    You are not normally to much in threat, in the Mall, going off the stories we read in the news, see on TV.

But going from your parked vehicle, to and from, you are.

Concealed is concealed comes to mind. We here in the free State of Florida, have no such law.

If we did, I would still carry, at 76 YOA I am not willing to get into a punch up with a couple of gang bangers in the parking lot.

Would have no trouble shooting them, my trigger finger works just fine.

Almost did that a couple of months ago, outside an upscale Grocery Store.

VIP Member
    It basically depends on how your state laws are written. Most states, I believe, require that all entrances be posted. If the law requires all entrances be posted, then you would be within the law to carry if the store entrances were not posted.
    phreddy likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    In any case, if you are confronted, be polite and make a quick exit. Don't belabor the point about coming in through a non posted entrance. Trying to contest it will only cause trouble, whereas if you just politely acknowledge them and leave chances are that nothing more will come of it.
    Yankeejib and barstoolguru like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    I don't know about your state. In VA, every entrance must have the sign conspicuously posted. If it were me and I only carry concealed, I would use the entrance where its not marked. In the unlikely chance I must draw to defend my life I would point out that I entered there and there was no sign if they attempted to charge me.
    This is an unfortunate thing here in NC. The signs do carry force of law, but there's no regs for size/color/wording/etc. A post-it note on the front of the building would suffice I suppose. You don't ever see signs in FL. Waste of time and money.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .45acpguy View Post

This is exactly why society requires specific laws. So there is no guessing.

In my mind the she situation must be viewed as somewhat akin to the following:

I have a CCW and I live in Arlington. I decide to go to Springfield Mall (and risk my life but that's another whole issue). I have never been to the Springfield mall before. I drive down I-95, park in the mall parking lot, and enter through an anchor store. I look at some items in the anchor store and don't find what I want. So I decide to go into the mall itself. At no point do I encounter a sign restricting carriage of firearms.

Unless the statute on concealed carry expressly forbids carriage in a mall environment, or requires the CCWer to contact the mall and inquire in advance as to weapons carriage, the mall lawyer doesn't have a legal leg to stand on.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Look up your states laws for the answer, in kansas every entance has to be posted and posted correctly, if not the sign holds no legal bearing. I would enter thru the anchor and use the whole from there. They cannot expect to spend 15 minutes casing the joint every time you go somewhere. Any place can ask you to leave for no reason(firearm or un firearm related) and if you dont is when the cops come into play. If asked to leave(again firearm or un firearm related) simply say "sure but im never comming back" and dont come back as they dont want your money. Furthermore non compliant signage (in my state they have to be 4' to 6' off ground and other stuff) can mean "I dont want non-permit holders carrying here but permited ones are okay and I dont want to scare off non 2a customers with a ccl ok sign." Give us a good name and be polite and dont test things, leave that to the richers.
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

Quote Originally Posted by niks View Post
    ... just wondering if there is a legal issue involved if one entered through the store and continued into the common area of the mall. What if one entered the Dillard's and confined themselves to that one store and doesn't enter the common area?
    Mall property is mall property. Who's leasing the space shouldn't affect whether the force of law applies to signage. If the general mall entrances have such signage stating carry of weapons is not kosher on the property, and if such signage has force of law in that state, then I'd be willing to bet it's almost a certainty that the prohibition is going to apply to all sub-portions of that property.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Check the exact wording of your state laws and don't try to spin it. Does the law say every entrance must be posted for it to be enforceable? If that is what it says, that is what it means. If you get criminally charged for being in violation it is going to be the law as it is written that will determine your fate.

Also, in many cases the anchor stores own their own spaces and are not tenants of the mall itself. If signage is required at all entrances the mall would have to put a sign at the store's entranced to the common area of the mall.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Thankfully Wisconsin law states that ALL (public) entrances have to be posted. That includes anchor stores in a mall, to have the signs hold any weight.

Hopefully Ohio is the same way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links