Ohio Conceal Carrying and Abroad:What places SUPPORT CCW/CHL Permits???

This is a discussion on Ohio Conceal Carrying and Abroad:What places SUPPORT CCW/CHL Permits??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking to compile a List of places that you're allowed to exercise your privilege to carry. Does Chipotle support CCW/CHL?? Gander Mtn DOES support CCW/CHL ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ohio Conceal Carrying and Abroad:What places SUPPORT CCW/CHL Permits???

Looking to compile a List of places that you're allowed to exercise your privilege to carry.

Does Chipotle support CCW/CHL??

Gander Mtn DOES support CCW/CHL holders in thier establishment

Ohioans for Concealed Carry has a running list of places that do not support CCW.

Part of it depends on where in the state you are in.

I haven't seen a Chipotle posted in my area. In fact, I haven't seen much posted in my area. But if I go downtown, there is a fair amount of places posted.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I totally forgot about thier website. Thank you for putting that back in the front burner on my memory

Quote Originally Posted by buckman2591 View Post
    I totally forgot about thier website. Thank you for putting that back in the front burner on my memory
    Both they and Buckeye Firearms Association do a lot for us here in Ohio, and have a lot of good resources available.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I'm in the Cleveland metropolitan area, a very anti-gun region, and posted businesses are quite rare. The one Chipotle near me is not posted. The only chain restaurants that I've ever seen posted are Buffalo Wild Wings and amazingly, given the ideology of the owners, Chik-fil-a.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Not all places that don't support have signs.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Looking to compile a List of places that you're allowed to exercise your privilege to carry.

Does Chipotle support CCW/CHL??

Gander Mtn DOES support CCW/CHL holders in thier establishment
    Luckily in my area I've yet to run into a place that has a post about CCW. So, I go into any armed and concealed if I'm armed then. There's no law against it in my area either.

If I did see one posted I wouldn't go in when armed just out of respect for their desires on their own property. But since I've never run into it and don't expect it for me it's abstract.

For you: I wouldn't bother researching all this unless that a legal requirement. If you don't see an obvious post, it's not a problem. Posting it visibly is up to them. If they don't it's not your affair. Where your gun if you like.

Now I don't know the law in your area. If what I suggested violates your laws: of course don't do it!

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    It is a legal requirement in Ohio.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Quote Originally Posted by Crescentstar View Post
    It is a legal requirement in Ohio.
    What are you calling a legal requirement?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by torgo1968 View Post
    I'm in the Cleveland metropolitan area, a very anti-gun region, and posted businesses are quite rare. The one Chipotle near me is not posted. The only chain restaurants that I've ever seen posted are Buffalo Wild Wings and amazingly, given the ideology of the owners, Chik-fil-a.
    I have a feeling it is the managers idea to put up the sign, not corporate. I've been to Chik-fil-a in Indiana and all over the state of Virginia, and never seen one posted. Here in the Richmond area I OC and have never had anything said.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

What are you calling a legal requirement?
    That's a good question. What exactly is it that the law in Ohio forbids.

This is what I could find:

Sec. 2923.126. (B) … Prohibited Places.

From the Ohio Attorney General

The law sets forth several places where your license does not allow you to carry a handgun. Under the law,
    you may not carry a concealed handgun into the following places:

• Police stations

• Sheriffs’ offices

• Highway Patrol posts. Premises controlled by the Ohio Bureau • of Criminal Identification
    and Investigation.

• Correctional institutions or other detention facilities

• Airport terminals or commercial airplanes.

• Institutions for the care of mentally ill persons.

• Courthouses or buildings in which a courtroom is located.

• Universities, unless locked in a motor vehicle or in the process of being locked in a motor vehicle.

• Places of worship, unless the place of worship permits otherwise.

• Child day-care centers.

• Government facilities that are not used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles,
    or rest facility and is not a courthouse or a building or structure in which a courtroom
    is located.

• School safety zones. A “school safety zone” includes a school, school building, school premises, school
    activity, and school bus. For purposes of this statute, a school includes everything up to the property
    boundary. The law generally forbids the carrying of a handgun in a school
    safety zone unless all of the following apply:

You do not enter a school building, premises or activity; and

You have a concealed carry license or temporary emergency license; and

You are not otherwise in one of the forbidden places listed above and detailed in R.C. 2923.126 (B);
    or

You are a driver or passenger in a motor vehicle immediately in the process of picking up or
    dropping off a child, and you are not otherwise in violation of the laws governing the transportation
    of firearms in motor vehicles.

www.handgunlaw.us

Says nothing about stores and such.

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    That's a good question. What exactly is it that the law in Ohio forbids.
    Posted no gun signs, provided they follow the legal requirement of the state for size, proper verbiage, etc. mean that it is illegal to carry in that location. In other words, the signs do carry the weight of the law, and if you are found to be carrying in a posted no carry place, you can be arrested in Ohio. That is, of course, if the find you carrying and call the law on you.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Posted no gun signs, provided they follow the legal requirement of the state for size, proper verbiage, etc. mean that it is illegal to carry in that location. In other words, the signs do carry the weight of the law, and if you are found to be carrying in a posted no carry place, you can be arrested in Ohio. That is, of course, if the find you carrying and call the law on you.
    But where does it say that in the law, is what I posted out of date? And what exactly does it say. Can you quote it?

Later: I did come across to a legal provision relating to private land that is posted No Gun being prohibited by law from CCW. But a store would not be defined as "private land". Private land sounds like land - country land - that has a sign allowing for No Guns.

Has anyone ever been arrested and prosecuted for walking into a store posted "No Guns" with their gun?

I think whoever is from Ohio that brought the question up should definitely talk to his "Permit Office" or the State Police - whoever is the administrative body for State Gun Law. You could in addition talk to an attorney with expertise in gun law. But using the term "private land" when "stores" are meant is very odd. I would bet "private land" means "private land" as I described above and as most people interpret the term. Otherwise, the law would clearly use a term for stores.

Actually, there is no legal requirement for size and verbiage. The AG's office has a suggested format that you will see on government buildings and the like. But it just needs to be conspicuously located, and indicate firearms are not allowed. Bear in mind, I am not a lawyer, but that is how it has been explained to me.

From the AG's book: The law does not say precisely what language must be on the sign. At a
    minimum, signs must be conspicuous and inform people that firearms and/
    or concealed handguns are prohibited. However, the law suggests that theprohibited locations post a sign that substantially says the following:
    Unless otherwise authorized by law, pursuant to the Ohio Revised Code, no person shall knowingly possess, have under his control, convey, or attempt to convey a deadly handgun or dangerous ordnance onto these premises.

But where does it say that in the law, is what I posted out of date? And what exactly does it say. Can you quote it?

Later: I did come across to a legal provision relating to private land that is posted No Gun being prohibited by law from CCW. But a store would not be defined as "private land". Private land sounds like land - country land - that has a sign allowing for No Guns.

Has anyone ever been arrested and prosecuted for walking into a store posted "No Guns" with their gun?

I think whoever is from Ohio that brought the question up should definitely talk to his "Permit Office" or the State Police - whoever is the administrative body for State Gun Law. You could in addition talk to an attorney with expertise in gun law. But using the term "private land" when "stores" are meant is very odd. I would bet "private land" means "private land" as I described above and as most people interpret the term. Otherwise, the law would clearly use a term for stores.
    Here is what the AG's book says:

In addition, the owner or person incontrol of private land or premises or person leasing land or premises fromthe government may post a sign in a conspicuous location that prohibits
    persons from carrying firearms or concealed handguns

It covers land or premises

Here is a link: Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine - 2011 Concealed Carry Laws Manual

Carrying concealed weapons is covered under 2923.12 in the Ohio Revised code if you want to look it up: Lawriter - ORC - Chapter 2923: CONSPIRACY, ATTEMPT, AND COMPLICITY; WEAPONS CONTROL; CORRUPT ACTIVITY
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Actually, there is no legal requirement for size and verbiage. The AG's office has a suggested format that you will see on government buildings and the like. But it just needs to be conspicuously located, and indicate firearms are not allowed. Bear in mind, I am not a lawyer, but that is how it has been explained to me.

From the AG's book: The law does not say precisely what language must be on the sign. At a
    minimum, signs must be conspicuous and inform people that firearms and/
    or concealed handguns are prohibited. However, the law suggests that theprohibited locations post a sign that substantially says the following:
    Unless otherwise authorized by law, pursuant to the Ohio Revised Code, no person shall knowingly possess, have under his control, convey, or attempt to convey a deadly handgun or dangerous ordnance onto these premises.

Here is what the AG's book says:

In addition, the owner or person incontrol of private land or premises or person leasing land or premises fromthe government may post a sign in a conspicuous location that prohibits
    persons from carrying firearms or concealed handguns

It covers land or premises

Here is a link: Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine - 2011 Concealed Carry Laws Manual

Carrying concealed weapons is covered under 2923.12 in the Ohio Revised code if you want to look it up: Lawriter - ORC - Chapter 2923: CONSPIRACY, ATTEMPT, AND COMPLICITY; WEAPONS CONTROL; CORRUPT ACTIVITY
    OK - if that's the law then it's the law. But if they have nothing posted, doesn't sound like it's a problem - then again, not my state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links